• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    Sorry this happened to you.

Another moral to the story is to have a COMPLETE and functioning firearm BEFORE submitting a Form 1. Know the gun isn't junk or needs replacing before doing a Tax Stamp unless you can afford to throw away $200.00
    Are you suggesting building an illegal SBR?

sygata

Feb 13, 2012
    No. Recoil is tranferred though the buffer tube to the shoulder stock. W/ a gap, the two pivot/takedown pins (and the upper's 'ears' they go through) are under a lot of stress.

You can probably fill in the cavity with something to at least reduce the stress on the pins.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Yes, at a minimum.

I've heard the same thing in the past build a pistol then apply for the forms so you have something to use in the meantime. So....

If I want to do an SBR down the road, is there anything special that needs to be done while it is a pistol? Engraving? Stamp?

I'm sure there are threads but the search button hates me. :mad54:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I want to do an SBR down the road. Is there anything special that needs to be done while it is a pistol? Engraving? Stamp?

I'm sure there are threads but the search button hates me. :mad54:

If the lower was never a rifle, in the past you could build it as a pistol, bit with SB281 I'm not sure of anything anymore to be honest.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    It's never been assembled as anything so no concern there. Been debating what to do with my Engage lower and an SBR sounds like a great idea.

Last edited:

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    It's never been assembled as anything so no concern there. Been debating what to do with my Engage lower and an SBR sounds like a great deal.
    There's some ambiguity regarding whether or not MSP will be considering (new) AR-15 SBRs as regular AR-15s, i.e. banned. However, I believe they did say they would be processing Form 1s and 4s that were submitted before 10/1. So unless you got your Form in before the ban, you might be out of luck, depending how things shake out.

You can probably fill in the cavity with something to at least reduce the stress on the pins.
    Accuwedge?

RCH

Will work for ammo.
    Mar 18, 2007
    PG County
    I doubt an accuwedge will work very well. It may dampen the shock to the upper's ear when firing, but it will not close that gap between the upper and lower. Hmm, if I can visualize this right, unless you can (if?) put it in backwards, it might make the gap a tiny amount wider.

sajidakh

Dec 28, 2010
    Haha. Thanks for the input guys but I doubt an accuwedge would do anything. I just used it as a guinea pig lower to see how rustoleum spray paint will hold up to the elements. I.e. smashed it with rock, tree bark, and other crap. Did pretty good actually

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom