• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    I would say no to #1
    As for question 2, if they are ok with it I would use them. They have a life outside the department and can speak for your character in an unofficial capacity.

On #2, that was my stance. Friend is a recruit at the Baltimore City PD Academy right now and he wad fine south being a reference as a personal issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk

Knuckle66

One of the 365
    Mar 11, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Well boys and girls I managed to get my application in the mail this morning. Now I get to join the rest of you in the waiting game. I'm nervous only because I really want MD to become a shale issue state. I also hope that the State doesn't win the Stay that they are asking for today.

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    Ok, so 2 quick questions regarding the CCW application.

On the application, question 1 ask's have you ever been served an Exparte or restraining order. Is this an automatic disqualifier? My brother had an Exparte against him over 15yrs ago when he was going through his divorce.

Question 2 ask's have you ever been arrested? I had a little situation (LOL) about 12-13 yrs ago when me and several buddies got busted for 4 wheeling in our trucks. Got charged with trespassing, needless to say went to court and all was thrown out. Had it expunged from my record. How do I answer this question?

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Ok, so 2 quick questions regarding the CCW application.

On the application, question 1 ask's have you ever been served an Exparte or restraining order. Is this an automatic disqualifier? My brother had an Exparte against him over 15yrs ago when he was going through his divorce.

Question 2 ask's have you ever been arrested? I had a little situation (LOL) about 12-13 yrs ago when me and several buddies got busted for 4 wheeling in our trucks. Got charged with trespassing, needless to say went to court and all was thrown out. Had it expunged from my record. How do I answer this question?

MD statutes say you do not have to mention it. That's why you got it expunged.

Section 10-109
    (a) (1) Disclosure of expunged information about criminal charges in an application, interview, or other means may not be required:

(i) by an employer or educational institution of a person who applies for employment or admission; or

(ii) by a unit, official, or employee of the State or a political subdivision of the State of a person who applies for a license, permit, registration, or governmental service.

(2) A person need not refer to or give information concerning an expunged charge when answering a question concerning:

(i) a criminal charge that did not result in a conviction; or

(ii) a conviction that the Governor pardoned.

(3) Refusal by a person to disclose information about criminal charges that have been expunged may not be the sole reason for:

(i) an employer to discharge or refuse to hire the person; or

(ii) a unit, official, or employee of the State or a political subdivision of the State to deny the person's application.

(b) (1) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to a fine not exceeding $1,000 or imprisonment not exceeding 1 year or both for each violation.

(2) In addition to the penalties provided in paragraph (1) of this subsection, an official or employee of the State or a political subdivision of the State who is convicted under this section may be removed or dismissed from public service.

marylandgrdnr

May 7, 2011
    Frederick
    here's a question:

What happens to current MD Permit holders who have restrictions and the appeal does not go in favor of the MSP?

Do we have to re-apply? or do those restrictions become null and void?

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    MD statutes say you do not have to mention it. That's why you got it expunged.

Section 10-109
    (a) (1) Disclosure of expunged information about criminal charges in an application, interview, or other means may not be required:

(i) by an employer or educational institution of a person who applies for employment or admission; or

(ii) by a unit, official, or employee of the State or a political subdivision of the State of a person who applies for a license, permit, registration, or governmental service.

(2) A person need not refer to or give information concerning an expunged charge when answering a question concerning:

(i) a criminal charge that did not result in a conviction; or

(ii) a conviction that the Governor pardoned.

(3) Refusal by a person to disclose information about criminal charges that have been expunged may not be the sole reason for:

(i) an employer to discharge or refuse to hire the person; or

(ii) a unit, official, or employee of the State or a political subdivision of the State to deny the person's application.

(b) (1) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to a fine not exceeding $1,000 or imprisonment not exceeding 1 year or both for each violation.

(2) In addition to the penalties provided in paragraph (1) of this subsection, an official or employee of the State or a political subdivision of the State who is convicted under this section may be removed or dismissed from public service.

Awesome to know on the question 2. Does anyone know about the first question regarding an exparte?

Broadside

Mar 20, 2012
    Virginia
    Just putting this out there....I don't suppose there mayhap be a kinds soul here that might be willing to round up a couple of the print cards (blue/white and the purple one) and mail them off to me? I still haven't heard anything from MSP or gotten anything in the mail from them.

I'd like to get in on all this action you folks got going on here. :D

I would call MSP directly and ask for the cards. It is unlikely anyone will ever return a message.

If they will not send you the cards, I would then call around to the various LiveScan Places to see if they can help.

It appears to me that most of the LiveScan places are small businesses. You will most likely have to pay the full fingerprint fee to get the cards. I would ask for three sets just in case.

I was told by a friend who applied that MSP will only send the purple cards to agencies. However, he was able to get one from one of the fingerprinting services.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    One thing I noticed going through the livescan today.

The 888-795-0011 that CJIS conducts at MVAs will only make appointments for 1/2 hour intervals.

After blocking time for a group (which you need a supervisor to do), instead of what supposed was to take hours, actually took minutes (each person only took 5-10 minutes).

So I'm gonna throw this out there:
    Is Maryland intentionally trying to slow down the number of applicants?

SkunkWerX

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2010
    MoCo/HoCo border

The 888-795-0011 that CJIS conducts at MVAs will only make appointments for 1/2 hour intervals.

After blocking time for a group (which you need a supervisor to do), instead of what supposed was to take hours, actually took minutes (each person only took 5-10 minutes).

Good eye, good eye. ;)

In some ways, the battle has just begun.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    They are telling people (as a whole) you NEED an appointment. Myself and another guy (separate occasions) both had ours done at the Bel Air MVA with NO appointment (he even called and was specifically told he couldn't).

This is a 5 minute process. There were exactly zero people waiting when he went, and none showed up during his time there.

Last edited:

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Good eye, good eye. ;)

In some ways, the battle has just begun.

I raised the issue with my local delegate, I don't expect any results because this is a multi-jurisdictional problem.

Although the CRIMINAL JUSTICE INFORMATION SYSTEM (CJIS) central repository is located in Pikesville under the control of Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services.

Accessibility is definitely an issue for SOMD'rs

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    I raised the issue with my local delegate, I don't expect any results because this is a multi-jurisdictional problem.

Although the CRIMINAL JUSTICE INFORMATION SYSTEM (CJIS) central repository is located in Pikesville under the control of Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services.

Accessibility is definitely an issue for SOMD'rs
    At CJIS they had a list of off-site places that do livescan. I didn't tke a list but the customer service number in the link below could let onyone know ifthere are livescan places in SOMD.

http://www.dpscs.state.md.us/publicservs/bgchecks.shtml

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.

Nothing says you have to get the livescan done at MVA.
    I think a lot of us have found going to the privately run LiveScan places have been very good experiences.

StillServing

I know NOTHING !
    Feb 1, 2011
    Calvert County
    I just went in to United Securities located in Waysons on Thursday. No appointment necessary (but it does help to call ahead). Talk to Debra (301) 952-8724. They are open M-F 9-5, and she stated that they can stay a little late if you can't make it by 5, just give her a call. They charged 22 + the CJIS fee, so it was $56.50 for everything. They don't do pics, but will notarize the forms for like $3 I think. Was quick and easy, especially if you email her your application prior to going in so she can have the CJIS file already setup on her system waiting for you.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Sent in application today.
    live scan finger prints at All American Protective Services, LLC
    (301) 296-4499 http://www.americanident.com In Rockville, Md

The lady there said fingerprints are only kept 60 days on file, unless your a criminal.
    also said the fee, $62.50 IS income tax decdution! Suprise to Me.:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom