• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    My wife and I have talked about it, but I would have to reliquensh one of my other passports to do so and I would never be able to get that passport back.

I have had my green card for 5 years or so.

last recollection.. you have to be 9years?

last i recall that you have to give them any old passport on your interview. dont think US allow dual citizenship. its been awhile so dont know the current rules now.

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether or not this rulling will affect green card holders who are not citizens?

Question #8 on page 7 is clearly designed for green card holders, but the ruling is so new and obviously is specific to citizens. My guess is that I would probably still be subject to the "good and substantial" requirement. Anyone else have thoughts?

I believe citizen in this case is citizen of Maryland, which you do not need to a citizen of USA. I am not a lawyer and do not have details of Wollard case in front of me. Considering as a lawful immigrant (Have green card), you can purchase a firearm, I do not see why you should be singled out to not protect your family and yourself like anyone else.

Glaug-Eldare

BANNED!!!
    Jan 17, 2011
    I believe citizen in this case is citizen of Maryland, which you do not need to a citizen of USA. I am not a lawyer and do not have details of Wollard case in front of me. Considering as a lawful immigrant (Have green card), you can purchase a firearm, I do not see why you should be singled out to not protect your family and yourself like anyone else.

So far as I know, there's no such thing as a "citizen of Maryland" under current law. You're a resident of your state, and a citizen of the USA.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air

I just spoke to my lawyer friend and his knee jerk reaction is that I do not need to be a citizen of the USA to be elligible for the protection afforded by its Constitution. He gave me an example where illegal aliens are not compelled to testify against themselves in court.

He is going to review the Wollard case for a more complete opinion. With that said, he thinks that even if I am covered legally my application might still result in a political decision resulting in a denial. This would allow me to appeal and possibly become the next Wollard.

I am going to wait for him to render his official decision before choosing whether or not to apply.

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    So far as I know, there's no such thing as a "citizen of Maryland" under current law. You're a resident of your state, and a citizen of the USA.

Maryland Declaration of Rights Article 40

Art. 40. That the liberty of the press ought to be inviolably preserved; that every citizen of the State ought to be allowed to speak, write and publish his sentiments on all subjects, being responsible for the abuse of that privilege.

One reference to "citizen of Maryland" I will not dig through the rest of the Maryland Constitution, one reference is more than sufficiant.

I will admit that Article 7 of the Maryland Declaration of Rights may confuse people as it refers to Qualifications as specified in the Constitution, but it does not say "Citizens as defined by the Constitution"

Art. 7. That the right of the People to participate in the Legislature is the best security of liberty and the foundation of all free Government; for this purpose, elections ought to be free and frequent; and every citizen having the qualifications prescribed by the Constitution, ought to have the right of suffrage (amended by Chapter 357, Acts of 1971, ratified Nov. 7, 1972).

You have to remember..."The United States of America", all the states were sovereign entities before they were part of the federal government, so at that time they were their own countries. Even to this day the states are sovereign to the degree specified in the Constitution, and are free to leave the United States as such.

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    I just spoke to my lawyer friend and his knee jerk reaction is that I do not need to be a citizen of the USA to be elligible for the protection afforded by its Constitution. He gave me an example where illegal aliens are not compelled to testify against themselves in court.

He is going to review the Wollard case for a more complete opinion. With that said, he thinks that even if I am covered legally my application might still result in a political decision resulting in a denial. This would allow me to appeal and possibly become the next Wollard.

I am going to wait for him to render his official decision before choosing whether or not to apply.

Go for it, and good luck.

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston

I know of a non-citizen immigrant who owns a liquor store and has a CCW in MD--- he's been in the US for only about 5 years...

docrutner

Feb 10, 2009
    Silver Spring MD 20902
    Jack in Silver Spring

Two questions: 1) Was the telecoference in regard to Woollard v. Sheridan held on March 22 as originally scheduled, and if was held, what was the outcome?
    2) Before I apply for a carry permit, I want to ask if anyone here has gotten one, or is the permitting agency sitting on applications (which doesn't have a good and proper reason) until 4th circuit court comes down with a decision?

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    1) go to this thread http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=40649&page=390 Post #7781 was the latest as of yesterday afternoon.

2) It would be to early for anyone to have gotten there permit still if they applied after the ruling. From what is being said by some interviewing troopers is that they are waiting on the courts decision. I would assume thats what they are doing until a STAY is decided on. It really is up to you if you apply. It could still be months for this to hash out.

delaneyesq

Sep 1, 2011
    Looks like temporary Stay pending further argument... Final ruling in late May?

ORDERED that the Court’s March 5, 2012 Order (ECF No. 53), as amended by
    this Order, is hereby STAYED until the earlier of a further order of the Court dissolving the stay or a ruling on the defendants’ request for a stay pending appeal under Rule 62(c);
    and it is further
    ORDERED that the following schedule is established for the parties to submit
    additional briefs, of no more than 10 pages each (not including exhibits or passages of previous filings incorporated by reference), addressing the defendants’ motion for stay pending appeal, and specifically addressing the three questions posed by the Court during the March 22, 2012 telephone conference:
    1. The defendants shall submit an opening brief on or before April 19, 2012;
    2. The plaintiffs shall submit a response brief on or before May 9, 2012; and
    3. The defendants shall submit a reply brief on or before May 23, 2012.

Glaug-Eldare

BANNED!!!
    Jan 17, 2011
    ORDERED that the Court’s March 5, 2012 Order (ECF No. 53), as amended by
    this Order, is hereby STAYED until the earlier of a further order of the Court dissolving the stay or a ruling on the defendants’ request for a stay pending appeal under Rule 62(c);
    and it is further
    ORDERED that the following schedule is established for the parties to submit
    additional briefs, of no more than 10 pages each (not including exhibits or passages of previous filings incorporated by reference), addressing the defendants’ motion for stay pending appeal, and specifically addressing the three questions posed by the Court during the March 22, 2012 telephone conference:
    1. The defendants shall submit an opening brief on or before April 19, 2012;
    2. The plaintiffs shall submit a response brief on or before May 9, 2012; and
    3. The defendants shall submit a reply brief on or before May 23, 2012.

Proposed order. Not signed, not legal. Likely to be signed, though, and as esq and others have said, it'll probably be a few weeks after that before we get anything from Legg. Probably June?

Knuckle66

One of the 365
    Mar 11, 2012
    Hagerstown
    2 questions:
    1. After your check has been cashed how long did it take to receive a phone call? It's been almost 2 weeks now for me and still nothing

2. Has there been any word on the STAY that MD applied for?

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    I'm still waiting on my phone call. Does anyone know if they are waiting for the ruling on the Stay before they process anymore?

There have been some people like me that got a call in about 2 weeks. There are others that applied in Feb. that still have not got a call. So who really knows.

Right now there is a temporary stay in effect till judge Legg makes a ruling on the full stay. If I were you I would hope that I don't get a call anytime soon as they can deny any app right now for not having G&S reason. We have about 1 1/2 months for that decision. Lets just hope that he don't give them a stay and then we are good to go.

JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    In another thread people were talking about getting phone calls again, so the MSP may have started up again after taking a break while they were waiting on word about the temporary stay.

As I see it, they have been stalling, which is very good for us. With a temporary stay in place they could have mass-denied. That would have looked bad to the court, but they could have done it. By stalling, they kept our permits alive in hibernation.

The other benefit of stalling, is that the 90 days before you can start contacting the permit review board has been ticking. If there is no permanent stay, we can start lighting them up. (They don't have to do anything, but we can contact them and hope to eventually make a case that they were delaying our fundamental rights.)

I'm not a lawyer, so the above is equal parts fact, logic, and pizza.

Knuckle66

One of the 365
    Mar 11, 2012
    Hagerstown
    In another thread people were talking about getting phone calls again, so the MSP may have started up again after taking a break while they were waiting on word about the temporary stay.

As I see it, they have been stalling, which is very good for us. With a temporary stay in place they could have mass-denied. That would have looked bad to the court, but they could have done it. By stalling, they kept our permits alive in hibernation.

The other benefit of stalling, is that the 90 days before you can start contacting the permit review board has been ticking. If there is no permanent stay, we can start lighting them up. (They don't have to do anything, but we can contact them and hope to eventually make a case that they were delaying our fundamental rights.)

I'm not a lawyer, so the above is equal parts fact, logic, and pizza.

I knew this was a hurry up and wait situation when I got started. I'm just not a very hurry up and wait kind of person. lol Oh well, thanks for the update and I'll let you know if I hear anything. I guess at this point I should just hope that I don't hear anything until July. After Judge Legg rules against the STAY. :)

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    2 questions:
    1. After your check has been cashed how long did it take to receive a phone call? It's been almost 2 weeks now for me and still nothing

2. Has there been any word on the STAY that MD applied for?

It seems like many people are getting calls at 25-30 days after their checks have been deposited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom