• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    I bought a brand new Mossberg 590 a week ago. Tonight i went to install a Mossberg factory heatshield on my 590 cruiser w/breacher and guess what? I am here repainting my barrel as the heatshield did not work and totally destroyed my gun. The box stated for: 500 and 590 models with plain barrels. My gun to look at it qualifies!! So now i have large gouges in the metal of the barrel and a cheap primer(black) to model after the parkerization. So, to anyone wanting a heatshield on there mossberg, I would advise to put this on 500's only without heavy barrel. *Cruiser models are heavy barreled. I have heard of them fitting the 88 mavericks but am not sure. Repeat if you like your gun do not use this item unless 100% sure it will work!!I emailed mossberg in regards to this and expect a new barrel for my gun. They said it works on 590's that is false advertisement and it has costed me a barrel over it. If mossberg does not stand behind this i will be trading the gun off and i could care less if i take a 150.00 loss on the trade. I will not own a gun that has a company that wont back their accessories. Anyone wants this heatshield and knows for sure it will work on there mossberg give me 15 bucks for it and pay the shipping!! I will be tossing it in the garbage if it doesn't sell in 2 months!!:mad54:

Cannon

Dec 10, 2009
    Baltimore
    I don't quite understand what happened, can you post a pic?

My 500 came with a factory installed heatshield(tactical pursuader), I figured it was purely cosmetic, it sure looks cool right?, but then it fell overboard, i miss that gun.

GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    I went to install it and the 590 cruisers have heavy barrels. Seems the barrel on my gun is oversized. I had to use a hammer to pound the heatshield off. There is a difference between the breacher model barrels and the regular 500's. The breacher barrels are way heavier!! The heatshields won't fit them!!

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    soooo......you screwed up your barrel by trying to install the wrong part and now mossberg is crap?

GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    Yep. The box states for 500 and 590 plain barrels! My cruiser 590 8 shot is plain barrel except for the door breacher!!

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    A door breacher is not a plain barrel . The heat shield is made to be installed by sliding it over the barrel nuzzle first , you cant do that with the breacher . you don't put it on by trying to force it down over the top side of the barrel . Even with a plain barrel you need to remove the bead sight to get it to go on.

GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    I was able to slide the big part down over then snapped the front down over when it got to where is had to be on the gun. As soon as i did that, it spread out the front clips/ring and i knew right there it wasn't made for my gun. Besides that i would like to see a model 590 that isn't heavy barrel?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I believe the regular 590 isn't a heavy barrel. But door breachers and the 590A1 are. You could have called Mossberg's tech support line to confirm it would work before ordering the part. This is on you boss. I'm a mechanic not a gunsmith. But generally on installation a hammer is not a good tool to use. If I saw/knew a gunsmith used a regular hammer to install parts on my gun. I'd find a different 'smith.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I believe the regular 590 isn't a heavy barrel. But door breachers and the 590A1 are. You could have called Mossberg's tech support line to confirm it would work before ordering the part. This is on you boss. I'm a mechanic not a gunsmith. But generally on installation a hammer is not a good tool to use. If I saw/knew a gunsmith used a regular hammer to install parts on my gun. I'd find a different 'smith.

Quoted for truth.

Not busting your balls OP, but this one is one you, happens to all of us at least once - just calm down some, take a step back from the situation - and remember this as a learning experience.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA

Meh, I've used a ball peen, a claw, even a 5# mini-sledge on guns. You use what the job requires...

GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    :innocent0i had to use a hammer to get the damn thing off. that is how tight the heatshield went on the barrel. besides i am gonna get it bead blasted by a guy i know and have a far superior finish put to it than mossberg can do!! This thread was for information of guys that may want to put a heatshield on their mossberg. I did not think personal attacks and bassically calling me stupid for trying this heatshield were part of the equation to posting this thread. Shows the maturity(or lack there of) of some of the folks on here. Thanks for your time. By the way I bet if i complained bad enough Mossberg would give me a new barrel. By plain barrel; no rib no rear sights. That is my definition of plain barrel. Thanks for your time!!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    i had to use a hammer to get the damn thing off. that is how tight the heatshield went on the barrel. besides i am gonna get it bead blasted by a guy i know and have a far superior finish put to it than mossberg can do!!

You did yourself a favor then!

GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    I am figuring that i can get my barrel redone (bead blasted and blued or parkerized) buy the guy I know for roughly 100.00-125.00. I will keep you guys up to date on how the progress is going with it and post a pic of it once it is done. Heading to the gun shop today. Brad macc82 thanks for the decent reply. You are exactly right. This was a mistake and I have learned from it. Had I not tried it probably would have worked. But who cares it's my gun and my money. If i want to throw this 300.00 in a creek and say to hell with it it's my problem. I usually don"t do this kind of thing to my guns cause most are way too expensive to consider screwing up. This cruiser is a truck gun and home defense user. It doesn't bother me. One thing that does is Mossbergs cheap parkerized finish that obtains surface rust on day one of having it home in humidity. Oh well enough said. It's my birthday and I am going to drink some beer and fish. Later gents.!!

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I am figuring that i can get my barrel redone (bead blasted and blued or parkerized) buy the guy I know for roughly 100.00-125.00. I will keep you guys up to date on how the progress is going with it and post a pic of it once it is done. Heading to the gun shop today. Brad macc82 thanks for the decent reply. You are exactly right. This was a mistake and I have learned from it. Had I not tried it probably would have worked. But who cares it's my gun and my money. If i want to throw this 300.00 in a creek and say to hell with it it's my problem. I usually don"t do this kind of thing to my guns cause most are way too expensive to consider screwing up. This cruiser is a truck gun and home defense user. It doesn't bother me. One thing that does is Mossbergs cheap parkerized finish that obtains surface rust on day one of having it home in humidity. Oh well enough said. It's my birthday and I am going to drink some beer and fish. Later gents.!!

Look at a process called stealth coating.
    http://www.gunfinish.com/
    My gf's uncle gave me a rusted up 1187 to fix up and refinish. After stealthcoating it, it's essentially now impossible to get to rust or scratch.

GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    Update on barrel: Took it to my local gun shop I deal with and a guy there is gonna bead blast it and put a high gloss bluing on it. My opinion this is gonna look sick!! Price: $65.00. This is gonna look better than factory parkerized. Best part, I will have my gun barrel back by Friday!! Oh one other thing, while i was there i spotted a used gen3 glock 22c. Like brand new. 379.99 with 4 mags and a non-compensated barrel +box!! How about that for a b-day gift to me?! i was gonna buy a brand new glock 19 gen 4 later this year but that is a 9mm this is a 40 s/w which i don't have and i am saving money in the process. About $150.00 to be exact!! What a great day.
    P.S., I will have pics of the gun next by next weekend for you guys to see!!

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    a non-compensated 22c? Check that thing out well before buying to make sure the last owner didn't screw up.

GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    The 22c has 2 barrels coming with it. One compensated that is in the gun and one solid that is still brand new in the bag. I tore the gun down and everything is in tact. The gun clicks when pulling the trigger. I was told it was traded in for a gen 4. The guy liked the gen4 feel better. It was owned by a state trooper here in Pennsylvania!! Should be be to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom