• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Just a reminder to folks sending in their application.

You don't need to provide any justification or explanation beyond "All Lawful Purposes"

This is sorta the equivalent of the MSP stamping our paperwork "Not Disapproved".

nebula8080

Dec 30, 2007
    Is there a number/website to verify status? I had my FFL 03 in two weeks....however still waiting on maryland. I usually could care less about the wait, but I have a rifle and two stripped lowers that need paperwork filled out on.... Its almost (I think) been a month since I sent in the paperwork.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Is there a number/website to verify status? I had my FFL 03 in two weeks....however still waiting on maryland. I usually could care less about the wait, but I have a rifle and two stripped lowers that need paperwork filled out on.... Its almost (I think) been a month since I sent in the paperwork.
    Give them a call and ask if there is a problem. It is a pain getting someone up there to answer the damn phone (unless they improved in the past few years), but once you get a sergeant on the phone they are usually very helpful.

The Division’s new phone number will be 410-653-4500 and the administrative fax number for command staff and the security and investigative businesses will be 410-653-5411.

sbarber7973

Certified Fat Bastard
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2007
    Hyattsville, MD

it took me about 40-45 days or so to get mine back.

R2.0

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2008
    I have a related question - does this put you on the State Police "radar screen"? I'm thinking that, with a C&R, I could be perfectly happy with never having to go through the MD rigmarole. (I know about sending a copy to the CLEO; I'm counting on it being filed away and forgotten or tossed.). Does the collector's license put you into a database?

I'm not really an "MRE's and Bunkers" kind of guy, but I have friends who are. I also have a coworker who is very involved in Bird Flu planning - we're about 2 genetic mutations away from a possible worldwide Katrina, and if the SP don't know about what I have in my home, I'm fine with that.

I have a related question - does this put you on the State Police "radar screen"? I'm thinking that, with a C&R, I could be perfectly happy with never having to go through the MD rigmarole. (I know about sending a copy to the CLEO; I'm counting on it being filed away and forgotten or tossed.). Does the collector's license put you into a database?

I'm not really an "MRE's and Bunkers" kind of guy, but I have friends who are. I also have a coworker who is very involved in Bird Flu planning - we're about 2 genetic mutations away from a possible worldwide Katrina, and if the SP don't know about what I have in my home, I'm fine with that.

Oliver Stone not withstanding - anytime you buy a regulated firearm in MD puts you on the MSP "radar screen" because they database what you bought. I stalled getting my collectors for awhile and then realized that they already know that i buy regulated firearms, so why should I inconvenience myself. It's a sad situation, but it's the only one we've got.

There is a line on the form marked, "Describe nature of collecting activities." One can write anything pertinent, such as, "Collecting handguns of no particular style or manufacturer," or anything else that accurately and succinctly describes one's collecting activity.

We have a gentleman we are transferring several AK Receivers to who just applied for his. He answered "Firearms of the Cold War" for this question.

R2.0

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2008
    Oliver Stone not withstanding - anytime you buy a regulated firearm in MD puts you on the MSP "radar screen" because they database what you bought. I stalled getting my collectors for awhile and then realized that they already know that i buy regulated firearms, so why should I inconvenience myself. It's a sad situation, but it's the only one we've got.

You've put your finger on it. I'm not really interested in black rifles, and there are plenty of pre "Regulated List" handguns to choose from. A CMP Garand, Carbine, or Yugo SKS would be ample to keep the zombies at bay.

I'd apply if I thought it got buried in a file, but I've come to the conclusion I'm in way too many databases already.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    You've put your finger on it. I'm not really interested in black rifles, and there are plenty of pre "Regulated List" handguns to choose from. A CMP Garand, Carbine, or Yugo SKS would be ample to keep the zombies at bay.

I'd apply if I thought it got buried in a file, but I've come to the conclusion I'm in way too many databases already.

There is no such thing as a "pre regulated list hangun" in MD except maybe antique handguns. ALL handguns that are not defined "antiques" are definitely regulated in MD.
    If you buy a "modern" handgun within MD, then you are in the MD database.

R2.0

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2008
    There is no such thing as a "pre regulated list hangun" in MD except maybe antique handguns. ALL handguns that are not defined "antiques" are definitely regulated in MD.
    If you buy a "modern" handgun within MD, then you are in the MD database.

Well, now I'm confused, but I'm going to start another thread.

EDIT: Nevermind - I was confusing the Approved Handgun List (post '85) with regulated.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    I figure the Collector status gets me less scrutany then not having it. Once they see it in your file, they are not surprised that you are buying lots of guns. A guy that is not a collector might get a second look as to why he is buying so many guns. As a collector it is a forgone conclusion you will be buying guns.

Think of it as being considered pre approved to make many purchases. :)

-Boxcab

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom