• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I've been trying to keep up w/ the 'no more SBRs' thread but people post faster than I can keep up w/ it;) But from what I understand only SBRs under 29" are going to be the problem. So, Im applying for my trust today. What is the suggested 'should SBR list' to get in before Oct? What I have been thinking:

1) PPS43C
    Bought it specifically to convert back to SBR, but length will still be >29" so no rush right? (32.3" unfolded per wikipedia and my measurements confirm about that.)

2) AR
    Someone said wouldn't hit the 29" limit until <10-11" barrel? I have some spare virgin lowers to build on. Should I SBR one w/ a 9" barrel just to have one I can convert to anything later? Whats an ideal length to put on the form? (of course I would have to buy one of that barrel length even if I had a different upper on it.) I know NOTHING about SBR ARs so for all I know 9" sucks and 9.5" is the only way to go (or something like that.) School me please.

3) Tavor
    I have the 16.5" already. I could shorten the barrel to the 15" CTAR-21 version. That most definitely gets on the naughty list for both barrel length and OAL from the feds. Under 29" already so would MD allow something that is already under the limit to be SBR'd later? What is the consequence of spending the $200 and applying, yet doing the conversion later (after stamp is back)? As-in: how long do you have from approval to having to have the gun in stated configuration? I can cut and rethread the barrel myself but don't know what the factory CTARs did as far as gas port size/location/etc.

4) VZ58
    I have a czechpoint VZ58 already w/ the slightly longer (usa?) barrel as an orig is just under the limit (15.9"?). I also have a demilled kit w/ orig intact barrel (that is under the 16" limit.) I could apply to SBR the kit. 0.1" is not a big difference though so just pinning any flash hider seems a lot less hassle.

5) ??

What other SBRs, that get caught in SB281, should a red blooded American not want to be without? I was hoping to pop my NFA cherry after Oct but sounds like I need to accelerate those plans.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    No. According to the latest missive from MSP at last week's meeting, , all AR 15's will be banned, even if it can pass the copycat test. No word on the legality of this opinion.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    PPS43C: No rush.

AR: Probably the most sensible choice on your list. The AG seems to be doing a complete about-face on "SBRs aren't copies of named guns".

Tavor: I don't think there's a point to chopping it. I'm a notorious SBR whore, but $200 for an inch and change doesn't seem like a good investment even to me. If it were the ultra-short X95 stock, MAYBE.

Vz-58: no point, as you've said. I could see maybe rushing a pistol Vz-58 SBR build if you wanted to run suppressor+folding stock, but that's about it.

Other: anything on the named guns list, and anything that would be hit as a copycat. Think real hard about it.

The SBR I bought in honor of SB281 was a Glock SBR. Very versatile and flexible platform. After the ban, I'll eventually do a PTR-32 GenII and P556 SBR using non-folding stocks.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    No. According to the latest missive from MSP at last week's meeting, , all AR 15's will be banned, even if it can pass the copycat test. No word on the legality of this opinion.

The MSP also said they would have a FAQ URL to answer most the questions from the dealers conferences.

The MSP can not ban possession.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    turn AR into 10.3 blackout with can.

... all AR 15's will be banned, even if it can pass the copycat test. ...

AR: Probably the most sensible choice on your list. The AG seems to be doing a complete about-face on "SBRs aren't copies of named guns"

I'm seeing a pattern;) Ok, SBR (at least) one AR. Barrel length doesn't really matter for SB281.

Other: anything on the named guns list, and anything that would be hit as a copycat. Think real hard about it.

The SBR I bought in honor of SB281 was a Glock SBR.

Think real hard? LOL. Every time I think real hard and figure out I need to buy something, you already have it. Many of you are at LEAST 10 steps ahead of me. *THATS* why Im asking;) I've given up and am now just asking you guys to spend my money.

Glock SBR? See, I didn't even know such things existed;) A quick web search turns up both an old hipower/luger type slip on stock and full wrap around PCC kits. Very cool. Off to buy glock... Wonder if some of the kits work on a .45

HK94/MP5 if you can afford it!

Ohhhhh. Hadn't thought of that. I just bought a ptr91 yesterday and have JUST started looking into the 94/mp5. Off to research...

Edit: Pics of glock SBRs for those like me who weren't aware.

Attachments

• glock-stock-1.gif
      glock-stock-1.gif
      10.9 KB · Views: 247
    • hera-arms-01.jpg
      hera-arms-01.jpg
      167.1 KB · Views: 239

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Ohhhhh. Hadn't thought of that. I just bought a ptr91 yesterday and have JUST started looking into the 94/mp5. Off to research...

Yeah PTR91s are nice. I picked up a receiver a few months back. Also consider a HK33/HK93. The MP5 is just about the nicest shooting SMG out there I think. If you ever get into FA, you can use these guns as host guns if they are well enough made. However its not a cheap line of guns!

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    W/ the 91 I think Im going to skip the hk93. Its not 'neat enough' IMO to bother w/ vs stanag .223 ARs/Tavor/etc. Thats just me. Though a Sig 551 tempts me - a little.

But back on topic (sort of): MP5s & FA SMG. I see they are in the mid-$20s. I was thinking for a FA, a mp5 would be pretty interesting. So if I buy one thats FA w/ a sear registered to the receiver, it would get around the SB281 SBR law. But a SBR MP5 that has a sear added to it (and moveable?) gets caught? I think I understand how you can have a lightning link/trigger pack/registered sear thats not registered to any receiver vs a registered fa receiver. Do I understand right? I have one of my cars for sale and have been thinking about treating myself to my first FA toy w/ the proceeds when it goes.

Now back on topic (for sure): I bought a HK91 flat from robertrtg.com while I was getting stuff for the PTR. I'll fold it and weld before Oct. I see he has 94/mp5 flats (and 93). I guess I could order and do the same. He has pistol parts kits in stock but no SBR kits. So, if I fold a flat, add serial/engraving, have a pistol kit, and apply for SBR how long after the stamp comes back can I build it? Looks like just the endcap is different? Can I just leave it in a bag of parts or completed as a pistol w/ the stamp? Or do you HAVE to SBR it within some time frame or getting the stamp? I just don't want to have a couple receivers that are SBR'd but not built yet and get into trouble. Having never done this Im not familiar w/ the rules.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    11" or 13" FAL from DS Arms. It's a bad mofo with adjustable gas block. Use the HK91 as a long shooter, the FAL is just much better for SBR purposes. Plus you can get 30rnd mags! Get a good .308 suppressor for it, while you at it ;) Love mine! Get a metric type II receiver now, and build on it later. It's a littler harder then an AR build, but not much... you need a couple special tools. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom