• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feb 28, 2013
    I just thought of something.

Let me see if I got this straight. The M1A is a semi-automatic cosmetic replica of the military issue M14, and as such has been relegated to MD's regulated firearms list and will be banned by Oct. 1 because it's a "dangerous assault weapon".

On the other hand the select fire, to include full auto, M14 is NOT on MD's regulated firearms list. Therefore it is somehow less dangerous and not banned by SB281. And that you can still get by going through the NFA process.

Am I wrong? Or did just stumble across a big piece of Maryland stupidity?

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    You are correct. Hey, it doesn't have to make sense here in Marylandistan.

In case you didn't know there are some real deal full auto Springfield M1As out there. Before the '86 ban came down, Springfield did do some factory full auto conversions to M1As. Too bad I was too young to take advantage of the good old days........ :(

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    That would apply if they didn't already know about NFA club.
    There were questions sent to the AG about SB281 and NFA weapons by a delegate. That cat is definitely out of the bag, and I do not for a moment regret letting it out.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Wouldn't an NFA M14 be banned under the copy cat part of the law?

Copy cat is ONLY for the features test (2 of the 3), overall length, fixed magazine capacity.

You mean the copies or imitations.

One could argue that the M14 is the original, NOT a copy or imitation. The M1A is the copy or imitation. :)

TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD
    SB281 specifically states that a copycat weapon is a SEMIAUTOMATIC centerfire rifle.
    So no more AR15s, but M16s will be a-ok. I just wish we had more M14s around to sell.
    All I have at the shop currently is an experimental underfolder M14 from the H&R museum collection, and I can't afford to keep it. I'm going to get some pictures of it soon to post here, I think some of you guys would enjoy it. It's very cool, but way out of my league.

Feb 28, 2013
    SB281 specifically states that a copycat weapon is a SEMIAUTOMATIC centerfire rifle.
    So no more AR15s, but M16s will be a-ok. I just wish we had more M14s around to sell.

So in other words, to put it in a car buff's terms...

You can't a car that LOOKS like it will go 200 mph. But you CAN have one that actually does as long as certain cosmetic features aren't present, like that trunk thing that goes up (spoiler). :rolleyes:

TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD
    So in other words, to put it in a car buff's terms...

You can't a car that LOOKS like it will go 200 mph. But you CAN have one that actually does as long as certain cosmetic features aren't present, like that trunk thing that goes up (spoiler). :rolleyes:

Pretty much hit the nail on the head. But you can have all the features you want, provided it is a machine gun.

Just consider the verbiage utilized: All true assault rifles (select fire capability being one of the defining characteristics of an assault rife) are just fine and dandy. On the other hand, "Assault Weapons", as defined by the state, are the evil gateway drug of all rifledom, and shall be verboten.

I had a conversation with a colleague recently about Maryland's legal stance on most firearms related topics. The state's position pretty much boils down to this sentiment: "We don't want you to, but..."

It remains true in most applications.
    We don't want you to have magazines over 20rds, but if you do, it's not illegal, just give your business to a surrounding state.
    We don't want you to kill animals whenever you feel like it, but if you apply for a crop damage permit, carry on.
    We don't want you to have a MAC pistol, but the machine gun is ok.

The only reason we have these nuances to our laws is that the good people of MD have argued against and negated some of the most draconian measures proposed by state lawmakers. It just takes a look at the redacted portions of the original SB281 to see just how bad it could have been. Negotiation and compromise always leave us somewhere in the middle.

Obviously, problems arise in any situation where regulators do not fully understand or comprehend what they are regulating. Even attempts to fix a bad law leave us with portions of code that remain in force.

Take the damn HQL for instance. One would think that once a prospective buyer is thoroughly vetted (trained, licensed, fingerprinted), the 7 day wait is relegated to a redundant, arbitrary additional check. The waiting period is so heavily ingrained into MD law, though, that the state would never conceive of relinquishing it, even if doing so would streamline the process by removing the burden from MSP, as well as the taxpayers ultimately footing the bill.

Last edited:

longgunnewb

Textbook Libertarian
    Feb 23, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I really miss Indiana.... where you can buy as much as you want, whatever you want, as long as you can pay for it. I once saw a guy walk into a gun shop and walk out with 2 semi auto Barrett .50s Of course he didn't pay cash but still :lol2:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    All I have at the shop currently is an experimental underfolder M14 from the H&R museum collection, and I can't afford to keep it. I'm going to get some pictures of it soon to post here, I think some of you guys would enjoy it. It's very cool, but way out of my league.
    Is that the one that was made with the AK underfolding stock? I saw a picture of that in "M14: The Last Steel Warrior" and it looked super sexy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom