• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Just spoke to someone who was at MSP's training event today regarding post Oct 1st purchases. NFA items are untouched by post Oct 1st laws. Suppressors, SBR's, SBS's, MG's, AOW's, and DD's will all be LEGAL to purchase after Oct 1st.

As far as the HQL (Handgun Qualification License) goes, there will be an MSP website that will walk you through the process. It is said to be active within the next month. The HQL will cost $50 and is valid for 10 years. After the initial 10 years there will be a $30 renewal fee for each consecutive 10 year period. Fingerprints will be required through LiveScan (separate fee). And your photo will be pulled from the MVA's records. Once the required documents are submitted to MSP they have 30 days to issue the HQL.

Btw, the HQL is only required for purchasing handguns after Oct 1st, not possessing them after Oct 1st. So if you already have all the handguns you want prior to Oct 1st, you dont need the HQL to keep the ones you already have. I know most already knew this but I thought I'd just confirm it.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    This is great news! Will they send a letter out making this official?

From the conversation I had it sounded like they gave info packets to those who attended. Or my friend just took really good notes, lol. Not sure when something will be posted for the general public.

A couple more things,
    As long as a customer has a purchase order prior to Oct 1st for any firearm on the Ban list, it will be honored even if you are unable to pick it up from your dealer before Oct 1st.

For handguns, you must have it in your hands prior to Oct 1st. If not, you will not be able to pick it up from your dealer after Oct 1st without the new HQL even if you purchased prior to Oct 1st.

Oh, and any HBAR AR15 (must be kept as HBAR forever) will still be able to be purchased, as well as AR10's. The "Copy Cat" clause was also further explained. It basically says that any semi-auto rifle with pistol grip that uses a detachable magazine which is not on the Ban List can be sold as long as it doesnt have 2 other evil features (flashider, side folding stock, grenade launcher, the last evil feature escapes me).

So for example HBAR's, AR10'S, and SCAR's (shipped with PWS brake) to name a few will still be legal.

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    30 days, we can only hope! Glad someone has some info thou. Hopefully it goes smooth but as we have seen it probably won't in MD.

Smooth? No, hopefully it's the biggest mismanaged, burdensome cluster**** ever. That would make it easier to challenge in court. :)

ducrider45

Jul 29, 2011
    Severn
    I thought that people that had bought a hand gun at any point prior to October 1st were exempt from this new requirement?

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Anyone who owns a regulated firearm prior to 10/1 is exempt from the training requirement, but not the entire Handgun Qualification License.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    I thought that people that had bought a hand gun at any point prior to October 1st were exempt from this new requirement?

They are only exempt from the 4 hour training requirement for the HQL. Those that have purchased and taken possession of a handgun in MD prior to Oct 1st do not have to take the 4 hour training requirement. However, they will need to supply a copy of their current MD training card when submitting the documentation for the HQL.

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    A.A.Co. and Carteret Co. NC
    Agreed. All ********. I have no interest in obtaining a "Handgun Qualification License" to practice a natural right.

The lawsuit can't come soon enough and I'm already saving for NRA/SAF donations for when the time comes.

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    Thanks for that.

Now if we can just get word on how configuration of stripped lowers (for title I) possessed before 10/1 will be treated, I'll know exactly how much more I have to spend.

Last edited:

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    Not complaining in the slightest, but there is zero logic in what I just read.

Take 1 AR-15 chambered in 5.56, semi-automatic. Banned after October 1st. Take same rifle, with a short barrel, select fire and threaded with a silencer and it is still legal to acquire. How the F^ is that common sense? I'm just befuddled.

Again, not complaining, I rather like it when my opponents show their idiocy, it makes for better court room fodder and political aspiration land mines.

anderson76

Feb 16, 2013
    Not complaining in the slightest, but there is zero logic in what I just read.

Take 1 AR-15 chambered in 5.56, semi-automatic. Banned after October 1st. Take same rifle, with a short barrel, select fire and threaded with a silencer and it is still legal to acquire. How the F^ is that common sense? I'm just befuddled.

Again, not complaining, I rather like it when my opponents show their idiocy, it makes for better court room fodder and political aspiration land mines.

It don't think that will be the case.

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    It don't think that will be the case.

If it is the case, it's good news but actually pretty unremarkable. It just means previous SBR precedent will continue to be followed.

A SBR is an entirely separate legal creation from a centerfire semi-auto rifle. Odds always heavily favored this (tentative) outcome.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    lol - if you have the money for the $200 NFA tax or the $250+ HQL tax, you can have almost whatever you please. If you are a poor SOB, forget it.

Alright, pieces of the puzzle are starting to come together. I too am really interested in what they have to say about building a complete gun, after October 1, 2013, from a regulated lower purchased on or before October 1, 2013.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom