• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Nice to see u post!!! Its been a while. I was just talking to the range staff who advised me there are only 3000 registered guns in dc and I told them I know the guy who is 1/3 or all registered firearms hahaha. Hope you and Jack are well!!!

:D
    IIRC the number is 3072 registered handguns and 30,000 total in DC. It is cost and time prohibitive to register handguns without a C&R.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    The Order for Stay was nunc pro tunc which means as if the stay was ordered the day the orignal decision was issued on Saturday. That shaves a few days off the expiration date.

Appreciate the clarification. The sooner this works its way through the process the better.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Too bad the judge didn't sit on the stay request for a least a full percentage point of the time taken to issue the decision.

Absolutely pitiful how quickly courts move and word spreads when it comes to squelching constitutional rights, but languishes to rectify the situation.

The State of MD will only quote gun control legislation from other jurisdictions when it advances their cause. Doesn't matter a whit to them that this state is among the last 6 holdouts. Hey, they appeased the courts with the long gun open carry lie. The amazing part is they stood there last week and challenged the common use of long guns for self defense in the Kolbe case after leaving it as the only option in the carry case. How absurd.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Just an FYI, I got a teletype stated that for 90 all previous laws are in effect but to be discretionary because some may not know about the stay......what this means is.....for 90 days....DONT CARRY IN DC.

I'm sure you all knew this already but just giving you the offical word!

Yes the infos late but I've been in training.

Cyndi59

10 round mag..??I love my Baretta 92f,but my mags hold 15..my question is if I just carry 10 rounds in a 15 rounder would I be o.k. ..??I'm not sure if that question has popped up here as I have not come acrossed it in my brousing..

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    10 round mag..??I love my Baretta 92f,but my mags hold 15..my question is if I just carry 10 rounds in a 15 rounder would I be o.k. ..??I'm not sure if that question has popped up here as I have not come acrossed it in my brousing..
    The answer is no. Mags that hold more than 10 rounds are illegal in DC. Doesn't matter how many rounds are in them.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011

It's an OAG charge, I wouldn't do it but it rarely gets prosecuted. It's more like an enhancer on bigger charges.......you know stack them up and let them plea.

Cyndi59

Knows of the stay,I'm in kiwi right now,cannot take it here after living here a year in a half as the cost of living here is no joke,as is the gun laws here and coming back to the U.S. ..just was inquiring about if anyone knew anything about magazine clips that are not 10 rounders at the time the 10 rounder went into affect would they be legal holding 10 in a 15..??

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Knows of the stay,I'm in kiwi right now,cannot take it here after living here a year in a half as the cost of living here is no joke,as is the gun laws here and coming back to the U.S. ..just was inquiring about if anyone knew anything about magazine clips that are not 10 rounders at the time the 10 rounder went into affect would they be legal holding 10 in a 15..??

The mag itself would be the issue not the amount of ammo.

HauptsAriba

Feb 16, 2014
    Anne Arundel
    Too bad the judge didn't sit on the stay request for a least a full percentage point of the time taken to issue the decision.

Absolutely pitiful how quickly courts move and word spreads when it comes to squelching constitutional rights, but languishes to rectify the situation.

The State of MD will only quote gun control legislation from other jurisdictions when it advances their cause. Doesn't matter a whit to them that this state is among the last 6 holdouts. Hey, they appeased the courts with the long gun open carry lie. The amazing part is they stood there last week and challenged the common use of long guns for self defense in the Kolbe case after leaving it as the only option in the carry case. How absurd.
    How absurd is right. In reading Gansler's brief to the 4th circuit, it is full of a lot of BS. He tries to portray MD as a gun friendly state, and spells out that you can do anything with a gun in MD ( except ) carry a highly lethal, concealable pistol in public. Unless of course, you have G and S. It is comical in sections where he states that, there are already a lot of criminals in MD carrying handguns, so by reducing the amount of law abiding, vetted citizens carrying legally, we are reducing crime...... What?

Seems to me that the things he stated in that brief now have legal precedent as the brief was used, successfully to overturn the lower courts previous decision. That should make his quotes, legally binding, one would think. However, I imagine anyone attempting some of the things he claims to be legal, would soon find out they have to prove they are legal, with a lawyer, and a lot of money.

fishcheeks

Oct 12, 2012
    washington, dc
    Just crawled out from under my rock and trying to catch up on what the heck just happened.

The image of overt gun blink on U Street is making me want to go and hide under a bullistic blanket.

But then the though of carrying while on a bicycle ride made me smile...a garand from a saddle holster. ...yeah....

Cyndi59

Still trying to figure out how the D.C. council,mayor and the others who appose think once ccw/op goes thru the wild west will come to town..guess they have not ventured into Tombstone S.E. and a few other sections riddled with shootings except for Crackhead Barry..not sure why he has not been brought into court for denying others constitutional rights sent forth before his lips hit the pipe..

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Who poses a greater threat to the safety of District residents, licensed CCW holders, or Mayor Barry?

I dare you to ask this on air;

NewsTalk Live (News Channel 8)
    Chief Lanier discusses public safety issues with anchor Bruce DePuyt - and takes phone calls and emails - on the first Wednesday of each month from 4-5 pm.

Ask the Chief (WTOP Radio - 103.5 FM)
    Chief Lanier discusses public safety issues - and takes phone calls and emails - on the first Thursday of each month from 10-11 am.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013

It's an OAG charge, I wouldn't do it but it rarely gets prosecuted. It's more like an enhancer on bigger charges.......you know stack them up and let them plea.

It is a gun crime for to even possess an unloaded 15 rounder in a safe in DC. You would get nailed and prosecuted if caught with one.

The ONLY gray area on 15 rounder is FOPA pass though in DC. DC IS covered by fOPA, so if it is locked in trunk , unloaded passing directly though DC from one jurisdiction where it is legal to another jurisdiction where it is legal, eg from your home in Alexandria, va to a shooting trip or move to Pennsylvania, then you are covered by FOPA . Keep in mind people get arrested all over the US even when covered by fopa. they get a gun arrest on their record but simply don't get charged or prosecuted due to fopa.

As far as add-on charges, people in DC, with no other crime, have been arrested, charged, fully prosecuted, and convicted for violations of gun laws originally passed as add on or enhancer charges, eg ammunition laws.

And you are not going to claim you can't get 10 rounder mags for a barretta 92 when you can buy them in any gun store in md or va.

In any case -- no matter what happens with this case -- DC is NOT going to allow carry by out of state residents without a DC carry license.

DC is going two prong in response to the decision.
    1) fight it per se.
    2) at the last minute pass already drafted may issue, no reciprocity, legislation. The handful of people who get them will be limited to certain times and places

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom