• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firefighter_21701

Aug 19, 2012
    FLORIDA
    I have seen the rrecommendation of products in other threads in this portion of the forums is there anyone out there that can setup a sticky or a thread going into detail on how to cast new boolits. Keep seeing lead ingots out here at certain truck stops along our way. Picked up 4 small ingot's so far. Any help with understanding the process would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance....

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    What they said - the Cast Boolits forum is a great source of information, but a good old-fashioned book is also a great way to go.

I had thought about getting into it, but lead is getting harder to come by, and with a recent switch to plated bullets - one that I like a lot - I'm not sure if casting is in my future anymore. I grew up doing it with my Dad, but things have changed considerably since then and I just don't know if it is worth the time and effort for me at this juncture.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    if you start by going on Cast Boolits Forum you will easily and quickly get casting overload.
    Start with the basics of casting, read a book by a company that has been teaching for somewhere around a 100 years.
    I would suggest buying Lymans Cast Bullet Handbook. And start there.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I have seen the rrecommendation of products in other threads in this portion of the forums is there anyone out there that can setup a sticky or a thread going into detail on how to cast new boolits. Keep seeing lead ingots out here at certain truck stops along our way. Picked up 4 small ingot's so far. Any help with understanding the process would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance....

A casting section was proposed multiple times, but it was never created. In all honesty, it is probably for the best, due to SLUGGGGMAAAANNNNN.... Then again I only gave it a 3% chance of being created.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    A casting section was proposed multiple times, but it was never created. In all honesty, it is probably for the best, due to SLUGGGGMAAAANNNNN.... Then again I only gave it a 3% chance of being created.

For the win -that was one of the all-time great threads here

---
    Shamr0ck

wgttgw

Apr 10, 2011
    Cambridge
    IMO best book I have read on cast bullets. Free as well. There is a link to the pdf copy on the site. I printed mine and put it in a spiral bound binder. http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm

The Lyman cast bullet manuals are good as well. Personally I find some of the info a little outdated but the old school can also prove to be the best. Both manual have there place in my collection.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    That looks like a interesting book to read wgttwg, Thanks.
    The Muzzle loader and the Black Powder Cartridge Silhouette shooters all are excellent resources to learn the art of casting very accurate bullets.
    Up until a few years ago I always thought I understood how to cast quality bullets, And I went and shot a BPCR Silhouette match, LOL its a whole new game to learn on how to cast bullets that will shoot within a couple moa at a thousand yard gong. It ain't waddcutters at 50 ft.
    Coop

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    For the win -that was one of the all-time great threads here
    Shamr0ck

Yes, yes it was. :D

SLUGMANNNNNNNNNNNN

It was definitely an all time classic thread. I thought about it yesterday at the range when I was picking up SHROOMS. :lol2:

Now, let's see...I have three Shrooms. I figure there's 3% of something in them. So when I melt them all together that'll make 9% of something, right?
    Math is just so confusing!

:rofl:

Attachments

• Shrooms DSC02767.jpg
      Shrooms DSC02767.jpg
      31.1 KB · Views: 103

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I can't get the picture of Slugman out of my head that he posted of him looking into the game camera wearing those big glasses.
    He was a huge book of knowledge, If and only if you were shooting crows.
    Other than that he is as dumb as a fence post. I miss him. .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom