Question about transfer of handgun between parent and children post SB-281?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    Can a parent who is not allowed to possess a legally purchased and owned handgun due to a new living situation in Maryland transfer to a son or daughter, who does not possess an HCL, the handgun permanently or just for storage?

As I read the new law it doesn't seem possible because of the provision - "A PERSON MAY PURCHASE, RENT, OR RECEIVE A HANDGUN ONLY IF THE PERSON:
    (1) POSSESS A VALID HANGUN QUALIFICATION LICENSE ISSUED TO THE PERSON BY THE SECRETARY IN ACCORDANCE WITH THIS SECTION;

I thought there was some language in this monstrosity of a law that had to do with transfer between family members or maybe inheritance? I realize my question is not one dealing with inheritance.

Anyway would appreciate someone intimately familiar with the provisions of this law weighing in on this.
    Thanks.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There is allowence for Inheritence w/o an HQL.

BUT are you looking for a Transfer on purpose , or simply to store YOUR handgun at their premsis, without them having use of it ?

My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    There is allowence for Inheritence w/o an HQL.

BUT are you looking for a Transfer on purpose , or simply to store YOUR handgun at their premsis, without them having use of it ?

Basically store THEIR handgun at the Children's premises where at some point it may be returned to the parent if their living situation changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom