• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WillyD

Recreational Shooter
    Mar 21, 2014
    Hi, and thanks for having me. I have lived in Frederick (County, just outside the city) for about five years. We moved from the People's Republic of Montgomery County :sad20: . Needless to say, we're much happier in Frederick, but would be much happier if Frederick were not in Maryland.

Anyway, I'll start off by asking a bit of advice. I don't own any firearms yet. My plan is to purchase, over time, a .22 revolver, a .22 rifle, a shotgun, a 9 mm pistol, and then a larger caliber/longer range rifle. I am confident the list will grow and change as I begin to enjoy my new hobby. Primary use is sport/target shooting, and secondarily for protection in the home (after my wife and I are proficient in use).

For the .22 revolver, I have a Heritage Rough Rider in my sights - I like the style and (especially) the economics. Assuming most local dealers don't have the exact one I want in stock, does anyone have experience on the best dealers to go to for a special order from a manufacturer?

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from Dundalk!
    Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] info!

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Please consider donating to the legal defense fund to support the UNITED CHALLENGE OF THE MARYLAND FIREARMS BAN[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

SB 281:
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]A detailed summary for non-lawyers[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Legal Defense Thread[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Maryland Ranges[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Acronym list[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Welcome from Fredneck County! Howdy neighbor!

Why not go with the Ruger Single Six revolver? It might be easier to find. You can also check out the Ruger Mark III series of semi-auto pistols. I learned how to shoot a pistol with a Ruger Mark I series pistol.

Welcome to the forum. It's good to hear of new people coming into the sport.

I understand your desire to keep your expenditures down, but your first handgun is where you're going to learn, form and refine your technique. The Heritage Roughrider, while servicable AFAIK, is hardly refined, and IMHO, not the gun on which to learn. Best to start with something on which you won't have to overcome any inherent flaws, especially in the trigger. That's why I'd second DaemonAssassin's advice and start with a Ruger Single Six, a Ruger Mark or 22/45, or a Browning Buckmark. The 22/45s in particular go for very little money, have nice triggers, and are very, very reliable.

Good luck and have fun!

WillyD

Recreational Shooter
    Mar 21, 2014
    I forgot to add that my HQL app, fingerprints, etc., went in on 7 March, and my HQL number was posted on 19 March. I hope to have my actual HQL in the mailbox when I get home today (or in the next few days).

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• MSI welcome msg.jpg
      MSI welcome msg.jpg
      38.3 KB · Views: 141

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Welcome. If you're free tomorrow or Sunday why don't you roll down to the Frederick gunshow and check out a bunch of different models?

WillyD

Recreational Shooter
    Mar 21, 2014
    Thanks for all the advice! I stopped in at Gunrunners this evening and took a look at the Ruger Single Six. I liked it. When my card comes in, I will be stopping back there to place my order. Any reason not to get the Single Ten? I don't see the need for an extra cylinder for 22Mag rounds.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Thanks for all the advice! I stopped in at Gunrunners this evening and took a look at the Ruger Single Six. I liked it. When my card comes in, I will be stopping back there to place my order. Any reason not to get the Single Ten? I don't see the need for an extra cylinder for 22Mag rounds.

Getting it with a 22mag cylinder and a 22LR cylinder will allow you to shoot cheap 22 ammo through any ammo scare in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom