• ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    From Gary Slider at handgunlaw.us:
    New Mexico Honors Alaska . . PA Only Honors Maine Resident Permit

New Mexico has added Alaska to the list of states it will honor. New Mexico is moving in the right direction after a year ago dropping all the states it honored but 5 and then reposting most of them after political pressure was put on those in charge of the Firearms Unit. AK has Constitutional Carry and anyone 21 or older who can legally own a firearm can carry one concealed. With Constitutional Carry AK doesn’t need to make a statement that they will honor all other states permit/licenses but they do. Reciprocity Agreements | New Mexico Department of Public Safety

Pennsylvania announced it had signed a new agreement with Florida and no longer honors the FL Non-Resident. Rereading the Agreements Pennsylvania’s Agreement with Maine states the same thing. PA will only Honor the Maine Resident Permit. I have contacted the PA AG asking them to note these issues for FL and ME on their website. Crime: Protecting Pennsylvania Against Crime - Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General

North Dakota is reporting they are in the process of signing an agreement with Mississippi and they will not honor a MS Permit/License at this time. I can’t understand why they are waiting for an agreement. North Dakota will honor anyone who honors them and they honor Iowa which by law can not sign agreements. Iowa just honors all other states Permit/Licenses. Since 7/1/12 Mississippi has honored all other states permit/licenses. So this agreement will be signed sometime in the future but not sure why ND is waiting for a signed agreement.
    Reciprocity with Other States

As I have stated previous in posts many things are changing concerning firearms in many states. Handgunlaw.us would appreciate a heads up on bills that have cleared both houses or signed by the governor. A link to the bill would be appreciated but a bill number is all I need to find the information. I want to thank those who have sent me information over the years. You assistance is very much appreciated.

These changes will be added to Handgunlaw.us late this evening or early tomorrow.​

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    PA is going in the oppisite direction of most of the country.

I am told that they are trying to stop PA residents from circumventing PA's permit process. The explination doesn't make sense to me, after all PA is a Shall Issue State. Why would you try to go around their requirements?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Well, the FL permit is recognized by more states than PA for one. So if I was going to get just one permit, FL would seem better than PA. But PA was over zealous iIMO in banning even non residents from carrying a FL NR permit in PA. The point of the change was supposedly to prevent PA residents from carrying in PA on a FL NR permit.

Plus you cannot carry in Philadelphia without a permit. Philly was denying permits to residents so they went and got FL permits instead. No more.

Intentional or not?

Who knows? The AG is a liberal.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I am told that they are trying to stop PA residents from circumventing PA's permit process. The explination doesn't make sense to me, after all PA is a Shall Issue State. Why would you try to go around their requirements?

It wouldn't be unusual for a state to say that the resident of that state must have a permit from that state in order to carry there. WV does that already. I wish they had just done that.

This is even more far reaching than that as it excludes anyone from carrying on a FL permit.

PA is going in the oppisite direction of most of the country.

Not possible. Everyone knows that if you just move across the line from Maryland it will be a gun owner's paradise. ;)

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    This is even more far reaching than that as it excludes anyone from carrying on a FL permit.

Hope they don't do this for VA or UT NR permits.

Not possible. Everyone knows that if you just move across the line from Maryland it will be a gun owner's paradise. ;)[/QUOTE]

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    They may have left the Utah permits alone for now because Utah requires PA residents to hold a PA permit before they can apply for a Utah permit.

DE also requires their residents to have a DE permit in order to carry in tyeir home State. In my opinion PA's AG is using the recoprocity agreements to do the same thing because he can't get a bill passed in PA's legislator.

My major concern is that many LEO's will make a mistake and charge or hold a permit holder over a misunderstanding.

randian

Jan 13, 2012
    Not only that, but PA's permits are cheaper than in most states (much cheaper than Florida's), and it has easy requirements. As another poster has noted, this stinks of something else: circumventing the legislature by administrative repeal of PA's recognition of non-resident permits. I'm not sure how this supposed to work, because an agreement between Florida and the PA AG can't trump PA law.

mrjam2jab

Jul 23, 2010
    Levittown, PA
    It wouldn't be unusual for a state to say that the resident of that state must have a permit from that state in order to carry there. WV does that already. I wish they had just done that.

Whole heartily agree...problem is that is a legislative change..and I don't think she wants to wait for that to occur.

Still leaves VA NR permitees vulnerable.

Hope nothing changes

"Unofficial word" is that she is currently looking at the VA Recip agreement. :mad54:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The *problem* in Pa is while the State law on Shall issue is strong , and there is also strong prememption , the permits are issued by each jurisdiction. For most of the state this is quick and painless. Certain jurisdictions , notably City of Phila blatently ignore state law , make up multiple requirements with no basis in law , and arbitrarily deny permits on whim.

2A groups and individuals are activly fighting this , but the situation remains in flux.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Unfortunately PA law allows certain sized cities to require a permit to even OC. Filthadelphia is a city of the "1st class" population wise and therefor even to OC you need a permit. I think some Philly residents were being denied PA permits by the city so they went and got FL permits. If the city had not jerked their own residents around, this may have been avoided. I heard anecdotal stories of people being denied for things like speeding tickets, etc. Too late now.

I question how an AG can issue a prohibition on an entire state as that isn't reciprocity. I would think that requires legislative action but IANAL.

Hope she keeps her mitts off VA NR permitees.

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    It doesn't seem like it's about the money either. The PA fee is pretty low, correct? And I would go get the PA Non-Resident over the VA Non-Resident I have now, but I thought they required that you have a permit for the state you actually reside in first (which would mean having a MD Permit :(). I am hardly ever in VA vs PA.

So if they continue in this direction, we will only be allowed OC while in PA and no carry in Philadelphia.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    For now you can still get a UT permit because MD is "may issue."

There is no such thing as a PA NR permit AFAIK.

PA still honors UT. And VA still honors UT as well.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    According to my north of the border friends , and the PAFOA , the City of Phila wants to belive, and trys to act as if their "City of First Class" status allows then to do so , the State premption law pertaining to LTC s allows no variance for Cities of First Class , or any political subdivison at all.
    The issue remains in two and a half way dispute between Phila , AG , and PAFOA .

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Not only that, but PA's permits are cheaper than in most states (much cheaper than Florida's), and it has easy requirements. As another poster has noted, this stinks of something else: circumventing the legislature by administrative repeal of PA's recognition of non-resident permits. I'm not sure how this supposed to work, because an agreement between Florida and the PA AG can't trump PA law.

The PA AG is a female with an agenda to ban weapons. She was a hero of that ass wipe chris matthews when she supported AWB ban on his show. She realized the Pa State Legislators would currently vote down an AWB. Therefore she is working from within and Fla was just a start.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Does it say non resident on it or is it like the FL permit and just has an out of state address on it? That's what I meant.

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008

Because of this scenario:

* PA resident applies for PA permit, is denied under PA law
    * PA resident applies for FL non-resident permit, with less restrictive requirements, and is approved
    * PA resident tries to carry in PA under a non-PA permit

You now have a PA citizen who was denied in PA but is allowed to carry anyway. It's essentially a way for PA citizens to circumvent PA laws, and honestly, I don't blame the AG for stopping it. It's not right for Florida or any other state to countermand Pennsylvania law in Pennsylvania as it applies to Pennsylvania citizens.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    And Philadelphia shouldn't have been denying permits based on nonsensical BS which caused part of the problem in the first place.

And if the AG just wanted to stop PA residents from doing this, why did she prohibit everyone from carrying on a FL permit and not just PA residents? Her agenda seems clear as others have pointed out.

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    Yes, other states have laws that say if you're a resident, you must have that state's permit to carry...and they still honor other permits from out of state for visitors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom