Banks that do NFA trust checking accounts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Alright, here's the lists:
    Banks that will work with NFA trusts:
    M&T Bank
    Wells Fargo
    BB&T
    Susquehanna (in theory)
    PNC
    First Mariner Bank
    NASA FCU
    SunTrust
    APGFCU
    USAA

Banks that will NOT work with NFA trusts:
    SECU MD (no revocable trusts, period)
    Bank of America
    Navy Federal Credit Union

Original post:
    So, went to my bank (SECUMD) this morning to open the trust checking account to execute my trust. Unexpectedly, they told me they don't do checking accounts for revocable trusts. Does anyone have any recommendations for banks in the MoCo/PG area that will do free checking for NFA trusts? Basic requirements are no monthly fee and non-huge minimum balances (or just a trivial direct deposit each month).

My trust doesn't have NFA in the title, FWIW.

Last edited:

Vjornaxx

Twelve
    Mar 8, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    Wells Fargo and Bank of America both do revocable trusts. However, you'd be hard pressed to find a public bank without fees and no minimum. Bankers at BofA and WF have options available to them to link certain products to an account to waive such a fee, but that is usually some sort of direct deposit or linked line of credit. That direct deposit of yours might come in handy.

Federal Credit Unions probably offer a better solution, but your search may take longer. Since credit unions are not-for-profit, the usually invest their "profit" into a specialized means of competition. That means you may be able to find a FCU which specializes in revocable trusts.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yeah, I have no issue with a $10-$20 direct deposit per paycheck to keep the account open... I mean, it's a revocable trust, all the money is ours anyways. Someone else PM'd me about Wells Fargo, so I might see if they can help me.

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    At BofA, trust accounts don't qualify for the myaccess checking account which is the only one with the Direct Deposit fee waiver AND the fee waiver is only for direct deposits over $250.

The only checking account that can be opened as a trust is the Regular checking account which as a $1500 balance requirement or you pay at $12 monthly fee.

Balnk

Oct 29, 2008
    Gamber, MD
    I have a checking and savings account at M&T Bank for my NFA trust. As long as I have $100 in the checking there is no fees at all.

dpmd

Apr 2, 2010
    Montgomery County
    At BofA, trust accounts don't qualify for the myaccess checking account which is the only one with the Direct Deposit fee waiver AND the fee waiver is only for direct deposits over $250.

The only checking account that can be opened as a trust is the Regular checking account which as a $1500 balance requirement or you pay at $12 monthly fee.

I was able to open a checking account at B of A for my NFA trust with less than $300 a few months ago. However, after a month or so, they closed my account and refunded me the balance. I was told that B of A does not allow accounts for firearms trusts. The 800 "customer service" line said the local branch just set up the account incorrectly. When I contacted the branch again, the manager explained the policy to me.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Follow-up: M&T was fine with the trust, but their lawyer wanted all of the trustees (ie, my wife) there to open the account. Not a big deal, but I didn't realize that would be the case.

Might be something to consider addressing in your next revision of the trust language, Rusty.

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    Follow-up: M&T was fine with the trust, but their lawyer wanted all of the trustees (ie, my wife) there to open the account. Not a big deal, but I didn't realize that would be the case.

Might be something to consider addressing in your next revision of the trust language, Rusty.

Without going too deep into the matter, I cannot control what the banks require. My trusts are designed to allow each trustee to operate independently of each other as much as possible while still maintaining safeguards so that the other trustees are aware of what the others are doing. Under the trust language, one can technically open a bank account for the trust unilaterally provided that the trustee can demonstrate that he/she notified the other trustees of his/her intent to open the bank account and received consent from the other trustees to do so. One can demonstrate that through a letter or permission slip signed by the other trustees. Nonetheless, some banks or other institutions may not accept such a slip. It is one of the constraints of a trust with multiple trustees.

Last edited:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Update: got it done at M&T. Took about an hour because the lady didn't do them often and had to call for help. Time to buy a Sparrow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom