• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmike1487

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I just want to start of by saying that I searched this fourm for awhile before posting this question.

I am interested in getting into a little bit of class 3 items sbrs suppressors etc. I bought a smith and Wesson mp15 right before the 10.1.13 ban went into effect.

My question is would the OAL length of 29" still pertain to me since it was purchased before 10/13. I know if it was sold as a Rifle you cannot change the configuration into pistol. But I would assume a sbr is entirely different. With the amount of knowledge on this forum I figured this would be the safest place to ask. So please be gentle haha.

I currently have a aero lower with a 10.5 upper on it. I completely removed the sig brace on it. . That was fun while it lasted.

I don't have a trust at this time. I wanted to ask a few general questions before taking the diving right into getting a trust set up.

jmike1487

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    The > 29" OAL applies

Simple question to a simple answer. Thanks. Just one more. I'm gonna just keep the set ups the way that they are right now.

With that 10.5 upper would it be enough for 29"? I would just replace the buffer tube to accept a stock. But only after all of the paper work went thur.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    Simple question to a simple answer. Thanks. Just one more. I'm gonna just keep the set ups the way that they are right now.

With that 10.5 upper would it be enough for 29"? I would just replace the buffer tube to accept a stock. But only after all of the paper work went thur.

Depending on stock choice I think 10.5 is about as short as you can go. At least without pinning a flash hider to the barrel. 10.5 is a great setup and anything less is just a loud range toy (in my opinion).

jmike1487

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    So now I need to get a trust. Where would you all suggest I go? I know that it's a big deal with everyone using the 199 trust and others. I just want to see what my options are

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I don't want to start another thread, but lets say I purchase a post 10/1 lower to SBR. If I make it > 29" with a 10.5" 300BLK upper that shouldn't be an issue. As long as I keep the 10.5" config, can I put a mag block and a 9mm upper on it and send a letter to the ATF?

What if the 9mm is < 29"...no go, right?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    IANAL, but as long as you can return it to it's original configuration, BATF doesn't require a letter.

OAl 29" or > GTG.

<29"-no go

Last edited:

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    as long as its over 29", but cant you change it after its approved to shorter or longer? legally that is

No, as you'll be creating a "Copycat weapon" which is illegal under MD law. Also it's less then 29 inches (<29"), not more than 29 inches. That little extra length can be a big plus on some builds. And it doesn't "poke the bear" as some would say. Just read that particular law section closely and you'll get most of what you need.

MD Article - Criminal Law 4-301

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You can make it longer after approval.

Just don't make it shorter than 29", at least for now.

jmike1487

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    So when measuring to get OAL length what do you measure. From muzzle device to end of the buffer tube? Or take muzzle device off and then measure? I just want to get it right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom