• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Merlin593

Mar 29, 2013
    Towson, MD
    1. I have no kids so how important is setting up a gun trust prior to any form 1's being submitted? Any significant cons in not setting one up? Just trying to save some $ if possible.

2. Do I fill out the paperwork first and then buy a can? Or vice versa?

3. Will your gun shop help with the completion and submission of the paperwork? I am probably going to be dealing with Freestate

4. I want to SBR a pistol. For approval in Maryland is there a minimum OAL they have to be? My pistol with sig brace and OSS Bannar break measures about 29.5". I don't to submit all the paper work and waste the time with a gun application if it's doomed to be rejected.

The can I want to get is from OSS. Want to be able to switch it between the 5.56 and a .300 blackout hunting rifle.
    http://www.oss-online.com/back-pressure-regulator-1--bpr1---otb-1.html
    Any comments on this make/model or suggestions for others?

Thanks for everyone's help.
    Best,
    Jim

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    If you are going the trust route it has to be done before the form is submitted. At this point in time, no finger prints are needed and the form doesn't have to go to MSP for approval so a trust saves a ton of time. You can also Efile a form 1 with a trust. I got my approval yesterday. It was 23 days between me deciding to SBR a .22 rifle and getting the approval emailed to me.

Going the individual route, MSP would have had my form for a month or two and I you would have to paper file. I think approval from ATF is running around for months right now. So a trust for buying a suppressor will save you a month or two and for manufacturing a SBR for yourself it will save you 4 or 5 months.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Trust Pros:

No fingerprints
    No LEO sign off
    No photos
    Can later add people to the trust for use or inheritance
    Can eFile Form 1s now, and Form 4s at some point

All this as of RIGHT NOW. Things may change later this year.

Get your trust done. Fund it. Make copies. Do to shop and buy suppressor, shop will file Form 4 for you (at least if you go to one of the good shops).

For SBR, eFile Form 1. Centerfire rifle SBRs need to be at least 29" long, in their SBR form. Normal AR collapsible stock and 10.3" barrel make the cut.

Wfilardo

Jan 21, 2013
    Southern Maryland
    If your going to start buy suppressors and SBRing your not saving money. It's expensive and addictive. Price of the trust is in the noise. Plus if your married its a good idea to have to cover your wife in case somthing happens to you.

rmbstyle

Sep 22, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    1. With a trust you (as of now) you do not need to get finger printed, you do not need a passport photo, and you do not need a cleo signoff. You save about 1-2 months of time because you do not need to wait for MDSP to send the signed forms back. NFA transfers as individuals are running around 6-7 months, while NFA items as trusts are running around 3 months for approval. With a trust you can also use the eform system for making a NFA firearm and those approvals are about 20-30 days.

2. You buy the can first (more of a down payment) then fill out the paperwork. You can not take ownership until the form comes back approved.

3. Just about every dealer you buy from will print out the paperwork will all your information already filled in. All you have to do is sign. I have a Octane 9 pending at freestate and thats what they did with me.

4. 29" is the minimum oal for a centerfire rifle. You should be just fine with 29.5".

I have never heard of that company. Checkout Silencerco, they make top notch products and their customer service is outstanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom