Anyone interested in using legiscan.com to track Upcoming Legislation.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MichaelTech

Feb 21, 2013
    I have used this service myself as an individual. I am also posting this with the notion that I am not trying to displace the MDShooters Website. I think this is a valuable tool that people can use and then go on MDShooters and discuss.

It is Legiscan.com

They have a free account and paid accounts.

Free accounts are limited to one State and following 25 bills.

This service allows you to look up Bills in Government and see the details of the bill and see where they are at in the process.

With you account you can also have a "My Bill" List which is limited to 25 bills on the list for the free account.

When you get an account you can also join Groups that they call PolitiCorps. These groups will already have a list of bills that are being monitored and when you join the group then you can see the list and and information.

Politicorps are set up couple ways. Anyone with an account can set one up.

If it is a free Individual account then you have a choice of including any of your 25 bill allowance in the Politcorps Group.

You can also have a Paid Individual Account which takes away the 25 limit.

You can also have a GAITS paid account and if you create a list you can assign other users to manage it with you.

I have as a start, set up a Politicorps List called mdgunlaws.

You go to Legiscan and sign up and Verify your account.

The Main screen is your "Monitoring" Screen from here you can see what your monitoring and see popular state bills and there is a tab called PolitiCorps.

Go to Politicorps

Go to second Item: PolitiCorps Membership...Browse PolitiCorps Directory. In the middle of the directory is the group called mdgunlaws.

Add it to your Politicorps. now you have a list of the first 25 bills Numerically that is right now going to be discussed on the 4th in the house Judiciary Committee. it is missing the last 5 bills because of the Free 25 limit.

This is a testing the waters post. We can make use of this resource if people want. Give me feedback or thoughts and also if it would be worth getting a paid account and keeping it active. It is not expensive but I would want to discuss paying for it.

If we kept a GAITS Pro account then it could have several users maintaining it and an unlimited list of Bills. Any account also lets you monitor any bills from the United States Congress but without the 25 list limit and a few additional; Users helping maintain it it could also start include National Bills.

Right Now I have the free User account that has control of the mdgunlaws Politicorps group and list the 25 first bills. I am open to suggestions on proceeding.

Another thought is this has APIs for it and this might be something that MDShooters or MSI might be interested in exploiting and integrating within their own websites.

P.S. I have not explored the full functionality of this resource but it has quite a few things it can do.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Sounds like you have a pretty good grasp on it. I like it.

We have a saying... "Make good ideas happen."

My recommendation would be to draft a team of folks who are interested in contributing in some way, but haven't been involved in a ton of stuff, and run with it. A couple of personal accounts should cover it, and coordinate the results into their own thread.

MichaelTech

Feb 21, 2013
    Thanks.

I am naturally wordy. So I hope people read it.

I want people to join and get a free account and then join the mdgunlaws Politicorps group before I decide if it is worth me spending the money to be able to list more than the 25. Which in response to LCPIWB I figure will be culled as the bills fail but I also think that the Politicorps group could be expanded, or other groups made to list passed bills and also in the future look at Federal Bills.

MDShooters does a good job of when talking about bills providing a link for them, I am just thinking a place that had them all together with status can help keep more up to date.

I can see usernames of Legiscan and who subscribes to the group so I can see if there is interest and warrant me making a commitment to it.

If anyone is interested ion just seeing an example of all the info that Legiscan puts on the Bills page you can view the SB281 from last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom