HB94 Prohibition on Manufacture of Detachable Magazine or 2 Firearm Receiver – 3–Dime

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    There may be a time in the near future where all finely "milled" components are 3D printed. That technology will result in less waste and steps once the processes are improved.

So, they may eventually be outlawing production techniques for firearms, hence outlawing the manufacturing of firearms period!

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Isn't that alone a violation of the 14th Amendment?
    Maryland has a history of that...

It was also brought up in the hearings for SB281 many times, with several of those being by LE witnesses testifying in an off-duty capacity; it was soundly ignored then, just like it was soundly ignored in the "Civil Rights Era". It will take Maryland getting smacked hard by SCOTUS for it to change (and only SCOTUS, since the state also has a history of ignoring mandates at both the District and Circuit levels, based on my anecdotal research (IANAL, just interested)). Hell, Maryland didn't enter the "Civil Rights Era" until the threat of SCOTUS actually taking a case that would have smacked the Maryland government hard.

dwhaley

Oct 20, 2008
    Why are they passing laws for a problem that does not exist? Has there been even one crime committed using a printed receiver or magazine?

Have Maryland politicians have solved all the problems that plague this state and have time to push these nonsense laws?!?!?

Because 3D printing pushed the manufacture of mags, receivers, etc - which are not enormous challenges to people with machining backgrounds - into the yuppie domain; now they are vaguely cognizant of the possibility of private manufacture of these items.

- a lower MoCo kid

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    There may be a time in the near future where all finely "milled" components are 3D printed. That technology will result in less waste and steps once the processes are improved.

So, they may eventually be outlawing production techniques for firearms, hence outlawing the manufacturing of firearms period!

Agreed!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Just got off the phone with Delegate Arora. It was a VERY friendly and productive chat; he was listening intently, and he asked some very good questions about what I talked to him about. He was not married to his positions, and was rather better informed about guns than I might have guessed. His heart is in the right place, but I think he didn't consider some of the angles that we did.

I am cautiously optimistic that he may do the right thing here, or at least make some movement in the right direction. That's progress! :)

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    Erwos, thank you for contacting Delegate Arora and getting your points across without jumping down his throat. I hope your friendly approach will yield some positive results.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I know this isn't a popular view, but spamming the hell out of all the delegates with form letters is not really an effective long-term strategy, and it makes it really difficult to genuinely meet up with them and talk to them about the issues. We had a lot of noise last session, but I'm starting to wonder if there was less signal buried in it than we thought.

I would encourage others to talk to their own delegates and senator and actually listen to them. Not to change your own views on the 2A, of course, but rather to understand what they're really concerned about... and address that. It won't work on the true believers, but it may have an effect on the fair-minded.

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    I know this isn't a popular view, but spamming the hell out of all the delegates with form letters is not really an effective long-term strategy, and it makes it really difficult to genuinely meet up with them and talk to them about the issues. We had a lot of noise last session, but I'm starting to wonder if there was less signal buried in it than we thought.

I would encourage others to talk to their own delegates and senator and actually listen to them. Not to change your own views on the 2A, of course, but rather to understand what they're really concerned about... and address that. It won't work on the true believers, but it may have an effect on the fair-minded.

This approach is definitely worth a try considering how last year's approach failed miserably...we could have had 50,000 people show up to Annapolis but I don't think it would have made a difference because those in the GA had already made up their minds.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    This approach is definitely worth a try considering how last year's approach failed miserably...we could have had 50,000 people show up to Annapolis but I don't think it would have made a difference because those in the GA had already made up their minds.

Why do you say that? Because the bill passed? How about the fact that a lot of stuff got stripped out of the bill? Yep last years approach failed, we stripped out mandatory registration of all Regulated/Banned long guns starting on Oct 1, the feature test went from 5 items to 3, as well as the features test for handguns and shotguns got gutted as well. The HQL would have been $100 for 5 years instead of $50/10 years, and off duty officers would still be criminals if they carried a firearm on school property.

Yep, last years approach failed.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Why do you say that?
    I say that because it pissed a hell of a lot of delegates and senators off, and may have hurt our cause somewhat. You think being on the wrong end of what was essentially a DDOS was making them sympathetic? A few days of hitting them like that - fine, we make a point. Hitting them for the entire session just caused mass filtering and anger. It did not work very well. It was a crude, blunt tool, and we need to think much harder about how and when it's used.

The fact that Joe V saved our asses at the last minute was not necessarily because we spammed him the entire session. Arguably, it was in spite of it.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I don't see this one going very far, honestly. Not a real problem, and the bill itself is a little coarse.

And, yeah, he's my delegate. I've sent him a polite email asking if we could talk about this in person.

I've read a lot of your post where you've been summarizing laws and explaining implications, ERWOS. While I kind'a doubt you could change his mind, if anyone could communicate in a way that may have some impact, it just might be you! Go get 'em! (politely, of course!)

OOps...missed the last couple pages of the thread. Thanks for doing your best to rep us well, erwos

Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Just got off the phone with Delegate Arora. It was a VERY friendly and productive chat; he was listening intently, and he asked some very good questions about what I talked to him about. He was not married to his positions, and was rather better informed about guns than I might have guessed. His heart is in the right place, but I think he didn't consider some of the angles that we did.

I am cautiously optimistic that he may do the right thing here, or at least make some movement in the right direction. That's progress! :)

It makes me glad to see this. Thanks for your hard work. :party29:

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    Why do you say that? Because the bill passed? How about the fact that a lot of stuff got stripped out of the bill? Yep last years approach failed, we stripped out mandatory registration of all Regulated/Banned long guns starting on Oct 1, the feature test went from 5 items to 3, as well as the features test for handguns and shotguns got gutted as well. The HQL would have been $100 for 5 years instead of $50/10 years, and off duty officers would still be criminals if they carried a firearm on school property.

Yep, last years approach failed.

The fact that SB281 passed at all is a fail for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom