• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Terphunter

Jul 25, 2012
    Question 1....

I have taken the hunters safety course...YEARS ago... and have long since lost my card. I have always just brought my old hunting license in to carry over my hunters safety course number when getting my new hunting license.

Will just my number suffice...or do they need the copy of the card?

Question 2....

If that does NOT work....will taking the Utah conceal carry permit course count???

Would be nice to kill two birds with one stone! :thumbsup:

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    I'm hoping the hunters safety course will work. I lost my certificate but sent a fax to the DNR. I followed up by phone and they're sending me a copy. I figure that route would be easier than providing a serial number from a pre-10/31/13 purchased handgun.

Very interested in replies.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Question 1....

I have taken the hunters safety course...YEARS ago... and have long since lost my card. I have always just brought my old hunting license in to carry over my hunters safety course number when getting my new hunting license.

Question 2....

If that does NOT work....will taking the Utah conceal carry permit course count???

My wife and I lost our cards when we moved but were able to get replacement hunter safety cards by calling the DNR. Give them the year you took the course and they may have your records.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Question 1....

I believe the number will work, but they may also require the month/year completed.

Question 2....

No the Utah CCW course will not count as MSP does not recognize it for the MD HQL.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I went though this myself. Not only do you need the card, but it had to be newer than 2002 (?) IIRC. If you can narrow down the year you took the course they may have you on record. I ended up going to the DNR office since it is much easier to deal FTF. They printed out a card for me on the spot.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Talk to the instructor you had for your Utah class. A friend of mine took a Utah class this past weekend and the instructor told him that he can come back when he turns 21 in a few months and get signed off for the HQL training after ten minutes of review, because the curricula are about the same.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I went though this myself. Not only do you need the card, but it had to be newer than 2002 (?) IIRC. If you can narrow down the year you took the course they may have you on record. I ended up going to the DNR office since it is much easier to deal FTF. They printed out a card for me on the spot.

:thumbsup: This! Im pretty sure is true. It was certainly true prior to 10/01/2013.

DNR can definitely get you a replacement card....and they can usually do it by name provided your name isn't too common. Otherwise, you can give them the month, year and facility the course was taken at to help narrow things down.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Talk to the instructor you had for your Utah class. A friend of mine took a Utah class this past weekend and the instructor told him that he can come back when he turns 21 in a few months and get signed off for the HQL training after ten minutes of review, because the curricula are about the same.

Be very careful doing this as the Utah course does not have a live fire component and the HQL still has the one round live fire requirement. Until the one requirement is removed, I wouldn't attempt to use any course for HQL certification, that does not have a live fire component.

Ericw

Feb 28, 2012
    Greencastle, PA
    :thumbsup: This! Im pretty sure is true. It was certainly true prior to 10/01/2013.

FWIW I am working through HQL process right now and contacted state police, before applying, asking if I was training exempt since I took DNR Hunter's Safety in 1998.

Their response via e-mail:
    You are HQL Training Exempt with your DNR Hunter's Safety Course.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland

I teach both. While they do include some parts that are the same such as firearms safety and cleaning, the HQL law and live fire should take well over 10 minutes IMHO.

Terphunter

Jul 25, 2012
    Thanks for the input....a lot of bs. Already took the course back in like 1985 and have been shooting and hunting for 30 years....the hoops one must go through to buy a single action 22...;). Really always wanted a Ruger single six....

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Question 1....

Question 2....

Contact DNR for a replacement card. You should be good to go.

If you take the UT course from an instructor that offers both courses they may be able to set up a combined course for you. We set up combined courses when ever we can but we must have a range available for the HQL live fire.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Be very careful doing this as the Utah course does not have a live fire component and the HQL still has the one round live fire requirement. Until the one requirement is removed, I wouldn't attempt to use any course for HQL certification, that does not have a live fire component.

The instructor would have to add a Maryland Law component and live fire. Once completed the instructor should issue a separate certificate for the MD HQL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom