• ...and so much more!
  • wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    I have been very happy with my 590

Dospetz

Feb 4, 2012
    Jessup, MD
    I am looking to get another shotgun but have been unsure as whether to get a Mossberg 590A1 SPX or a Remington 870. Of concern to me is when I used a Mossberg 500 in the past and there were a lot more pieces than I was used to on any other weapon system (from M-16A4s to Mk-19s).

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I know price is different but what problems or pros have you seen with a benelli m3?

From a VERY GOOD SOURCE (someone within Beretta/Benelli) I have heard that it has been discovered in LE training that under stress, you may not remember which mode you're in, semi or pump... which can be a serious issue.

That being said... as to the OP, Chad I agree with you 100% on every point. I only have one thing to add, with the Mossberg platforms, you can easily release the action to do a press check with the weapon shouldered or at low ready without shifting position at all using the standard shoulder stock - simply squeeze your middle finger up a little and you're good.

I also saw many many many more Remington 870s in the shop than Mossbergs. Remingtons (including Police Magnums) came in with everything from feeding/lifter malfunctions, failures to extract, ejection problems, broken ejector assemblies... you name it. I only really ever saw Mossbergs in for cleanings. One guy had one that was 20+ years old and managed to break off the tab on the rear of the trigger that interfaces with the safety. I think it was about $12 for the part and shipping from Brownells. Sure the trigger group is a PITA but as a gunsmith it was no problem of course. :thumbsup:

I personally have what I like to call my "Mavvberg 588". I purchased a Maverick 88 field model from Wal-Mart in Grove City, PA when I was in college the day I turned 18 for about $200. Since then I ditched the 24" vent rib barrel for an 18.5" Cruiser barrel, added a heat shield, ditched the field forend and swapped it for a Mossberg slide action tube assembly with the plain-jane ribbed forend. I added a Tac-Star sidesaddle (which works ok but is mostly crap). I added a tritium front sight, parkerized the steel parts and painted the receiver Brownells Parkerizing Gray with Alumahyde 2 paint.

It's been an utterly reliable gun, and I won't hesitate to recommend them. They're lighter than the Remingtons and personally are more ergonomic. As Chad said, many things can be done by the DIYer. Remingtons are fine too, it's more like a Ford vs. Chevy kind of thing. I have seen some older Remingtons that seemed to be built like tanks, and had very smooth actions. The new ones have sh*tty finishes, and many times, on the HD models, when you loosen the clamp between the mag tube and barrel you find all the mag tube parts are loose... no bueno IMO.

Anyway... thanks for this thread, it clearly points out the differences. Once the points you put out have been consider it's up to each person to pick. I'll eventually be getting a Benelli M4, and hope to make that my HD gun (will have more capacity for sure) if it proves to be reliable (which I'm sure it will be :thumbsup:).

ETA: Another thing Remingtons have that is neat (not sure if this was covered above, didn't feel like reading 10 pages lol), you can remove the forend and bolt assembly without dropping the trigger group by depressing the shell stops. On the Mossberg you must remove the trigger group and disassemble the receiver group in order to get to the bolt. But in reality you really don't need to get in there unless you have gotten a bunch of foreign debris in there... just another point to consider!

Last edited:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    From a VERY GOOD SOURCE (someone within Beretta/Benelli) I have heard that it has been discovered in LE training that under stress, you may not remember which mode you're in, semi or pump... which can be a serious issue.

That being said... as to the OP, Chad I agree with you 100% on every point. I only have one thing to add, with the Mossberg platforms, you can easily release the action to do a press check with the weapon shouldered or at low ready without shifting position at all using the standard shoulder stock - simply squeeze your middle finger up a little and you're good.

I also saw many many many more Remington 870s in the shop than Mossbergs. Remingtons (including Police Magnums) came in with everything from feeding/lifter malfunctions, failures to extract, ejection problems, broken ejector assemblies... you name it. I only really ever saw Mossbergs in for cleanings. One guy had one that was 20+ years old and managed to break off the tab on the rear of the trigger that interfaces with the safety. I think it was about $12 for the part and shipping from Brownells. Sure the trigger group is a PITA but as a gunsmith it was no problem of course. :thumbsup:

I personally have what I like to call my "Mavvberg 588". I purchased a Maverick 88 field model from Wal-Mart in Grove City, PA when I was in college the day I turned 18 for about $200. Since then I ditched the 24" vent rib barrel for an 18.5" Cruiser barrel, added a heat shield, ditched the field forend and swapped it for a Mossberg slide action tube assembly with the plain-jane ribbed forend. I added a Tac-Star sidesaddle (which works ok but is mostly crap). I added a tritium front sight, parkerized the steel parts and painted the receiver Brownells Parkerizing Gray with Alumahyde 2 paint.

It's been an utterly reliable gun, and I won't hesitate to recommend them. They're lighter than the Remingtons and personally are more ergonomic. As Chad said, many things can be done by the DIYer. Remingtons are fine too, it's more like a Ford vs. Chevy kind of thing. I have seen some older Remingtons that seemed to be built like tanks, and had very smooth actions. The new ones have sh*tty finishes, and many times, on the HD models, when you loosen the clamp between the mag tube and barrel you find all the mag tube parts are loose... no bueno IMO.

Anyway... thanks for this thread, it clearly points out the differences. Once the points you put out have been consider it's up to each person to pick. I'll eventually be getting a Benelli M4, and hope to make that my HD gun (will have more capacity for sure) if it proves to be reliable (which I'm sure it will be :thumbsup:).

ETA: Another thing Remingtons have that is neat (not sure if this was covered above, didn't feel like reading 10 pages lol), you can remove the forend and bolt assembly without dropping the trigger group by depressing the shell stops. On the Mossberg you must remove the trigger group and disassemble the receiver group in order to get to the bolt. But in reality you really don't need to get in there unless you have gotten a bunch of foreign debris in there... just another point to consider!

I appreciate you chiming in Smores. Excellent points indeed to consider. May I add some of your points to the O.P. while giving credit to you?

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I appreciate you chiming in Smores. Excellent points indeed to consider. May I add some of your points to the O.P. while giving credit to you?

Absolutely. I don't really get to mess with pump guns anymore but during my time behind the counter at a retail shop, I can say the Mossberg 500/590 and Rem 870s were our best sellers in terms of shotguns.

For a beginning shooter looking for something from home defense, to a beginner hunter (either child or adult) both of these are highly adaptable weapons platforms. I haven't seen the new FLEX system from Mossberg, and as a gunsmith I have to say "I can't say how good it is until I've seen it", but it's a neat concept. It even further allows the DIY kind of person to swap out components without any specialized skills or tools.

RCH

Will work for ammo.
    Mar 18, 2007
    PG County
    Smores, as I recall, the M3 is supposed to be run in the semi-auto mode and the pump is only to be used for low-powered special purpose rounds (ex: teargas, beanbag). Are the LE guys switching back and forth due to personal preference or as part of training?

I have an older H&K imported M3 and use it primarily in semi-auto at the range. I haven't used a low powered round that doesn't cycle the action, but I have used snap caps to simulate a miss fire and learned how to cycle the action by switching over to pump, eject the round, and go back to semiauto. All it takes is the thumb on the support hand to press the lever down, cycle, then release.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I am in the market for a HD shotgun. I paid a visit to one of our local shops here in Baltimore county a couple days ago and they had a new 870 Express tactical (the one with the factory coke) with a Cerakote finish. I personally thought they were asking to much. What are your opinions on the price of $735 for this shotgun?

Upon further research, I am very interested in the 590. I took a look on Mossbergs website and it appears they have a few 590A1 models. Which model would you guys recommend and should I expect to pay right around the MSRP listed on their site?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Isn't that link also someone's opinion? I like the facts he presents but which one is "better" is purely opinion. Personally, since I own both I can't really pick one. I guess I would choose my 500 tho.... :) it's desert camo so it makes me look either like a badass, or a 12 year old.

Same boat.

I love my 500, but my 870 is over 50 years old and it feels as slick as anything I've ever shot before.

Which reminds me, I got to get back to rebuilding the 500 - I miss having it around.

ETA: That's something that can't be said for the 870, some hack like me rebuilding it at home. :D

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Isn't that link also someone's opinion? I like the facts he presents but which one is "better" is purely opinion. Personally, since I own both I can't really pick one. I guess I would choose my 500 tho.... :) it's desert camo so it makes me look either like a badass, or a 12 year old.

The things I listed about servicing the 870/500 were not "opinion" they are facts.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    The things I listed about servicing the 870/500 were not "opinion" they are facts.

It appears you know a lot about the 500 series and if you don't mind, I'd like to get your opinion on something. I am in the market for a HD shotgun and I've narrowed my choice down to a 500 or 590. Which one should I get and what are the main differences? Also, is there a certain model I should avoid or try to find? I want it to be new. I don't like buying used guns. Lastly, what would be a good price at a local shop for a 590?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    500 and 590 are basically the same gun. The big difference is between the 590 and 590A1. Metal trigger housing and safety. The bet model for HD is the 18.5 inch with a Speedfeed stock for slugs. Slap a Mesa Tactical side saddle on it and get ghost ring sights. Then add a light. Either Surefire or Eotech forend or an Elzetta mount and light. And please for the love of God use 00 Buck. Birdshot is for birds. And you actually have to aim a shotgun in close quarters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom