• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrWhiteRabbit

Firefighter Gone Awry
    Sep 23, 2007
    Nobody has ever accused me of being short-winded.

I usually browse this site by leaving a tab of the main page open at all times, refreshing it throughout the day, opening tabs along the way when a topic interests me. Then, when time permits, I refresh the tabs of conversation and read the current posts.

Thread 7447 is one of the hundreds (maybe even thousands) of tabs I've used in this manner, but among that number, it's also one of the half-dozen-ish threads that give me an error message. One time, I believe the topic was deleted for being rather inflammatory, but other times it has given me a permissions error despite being logged in. This time, the link http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=7447 tells me that there is no thread specified.

I also recall a conversation once where the admins (Norton or DD214, I don't recall which) mentioned that they have only deleted some miniscule (two, IIRC) threads... so I'm wondering where these others have gone if I refresh periodically and lose the content.

So with that behind us... where did these threads go?

And if I'm banned (or worse!) for recognizing this, I want you all to know that it's been a pleasure knowing you. :)

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Even if not deleted by the mods, with most forum software, the OP of the thread can delete their first post and the whole thread is gone.

There, hope that was worth being banished . . .

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    We don't delete threads, we "archive" them. I just checked the very small archive and there is no thread 7447. Possibly it was merged with another thread? What was the subject?

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    BTW, if you had problems today with any of the Heller threads, it is because I was merging like a mad man. People kept starting new (HELLLER!) threads, and I just kept a mergin'.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Ah, yes. Now I found thread 7447 in my browser history. It was the thread titled "Heller hanging fire". That thread number was lost during my merge ops today, but the content was not. I took the pre-Heller posts and split them into this thread, and then moved the post-Heller comments to this thread. I think your tab refresh problems are most likely due to threads being merged, or deleted by the original thread starter.

Attachments

• 7447.jpg
      7447.jpg
      36.1 KB · Views: 150

MrWhiteRabbit

Firefighter Gone Awry
    Sep 23, 2007
    Ah, yes. Now I found thread 7447 in my browser history. It was the thread titled "Heller hanging fire". That thread number was lost during my merge ops today, but the content was not. I took the pre-Heller posts and split them into this thread, and then moved the post-Heller comments to this thread. I think your tab refresh problems are most likely due to threads being merged, or deleted by the original thread starter.

Ah... that makes sense. All I remembered from this morning was to open the Heller tabs and refresh them when I got home. So I get home, refresh the tabs I had open, open the new conversations, and get to reading - one of the Heller-related tabs was surprisingly content-free.

I'm glad to see y'all are keeping up with the chronology of the events. On one hand, it's nice to have everything documented in two easy-to-read threads. On the other hand, it's highly inconvenient to remember what you read in relation to other comments, then to later look for that comment and it not be where you expected it.

I guess the need for documentation and recordkeeping overrides simplicity and memory... especially if we're going to be THE forum for MD and DC shooters. Keep up the good work, y'all.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Hmm, maybe someone else got to it first or the link stopped working before you saw it. Oh well, I wasn't looking forward to being hit with the LBGT title again so I guess it is good you didn't see it.
    :D

I'll take your word for it. I guess I never saw it. And just an FYI, if I ever have to edit a post (extremely rare), I always enter a reason that shows up at the bottom of the post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom