• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I've been using the same X10 system for over 10 years..... very reliable.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    So far I have had one problem and it appears to have been solved. My windows at home can open up or down. So the bottom panel slides up (like most windows), but my upper panel isn't fixed and can slide down as well. This is great for young kids.

When I installed the sensors originally, I only protected against the bottom panel sliding up. The top panel was free to slide down and as I originally installed the sensors the alarm would not trigger.

After looking at the problem, it dawned on me that if I had the magnet on one window and the sensor on the other, then regardless of which one moved, the alarm would get triggered.

Unfortunately, the magnet and the sensor were both too big to fit on the upper part of the window and still allow the windows to open.

I called Simplisafe and they told me about a new magnet that is less than half the size of the one included with the regular sensor. I had them ship me one and found a way to install it on the upper window so as to allow the lower window to slide past it (allowing either window to open), but also still be close enough to the sensor to satisfy it when the window was closed.

Unfortunately, the small magnet is $5 each and I have 30+ sensors and I didn't want to spend $150 more. I discussed this with Simplisafe and they agreed to sell it to me at 1/2 price. Still not great, but far better than regular price. They arrived last week and have been installed so now all my windows are fully protected.

Can't wait for the glass break sensors.

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    So the glass break sensors are a separate sensor with that kit?? That sux.... X10's door/window sensors are vibration(break) sensitive as well as mechanically breaking with the magnets.. 2 sensors, 1 price.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    So the glass break sensors are a separate sensor with that kit?? That sux.... X10's door/window sensors are vibration(break) sensitive as well as mechanically breaking with the magnets.. 2 sensors, 1 price.

The glass break sensors aren't even available yet :-(

But when they are available, they will be a separate sensor.

I chose not to go with X10 for two main reasons:
    1) I wanted a cellular connection and I wanted monitoring. Simplisafe was by far the cheapest way to go. I have 30 contact sensors and with all other companies that alone puts me ~ $3000 - Simplisafe was < $1000. They also have a 60 day money back guarantee for all equipment so if the monitoring or equipment didn't work properly I could have gone a different direction.

2) I had some bad experiences with X10 years ago and they soured me against the product.

I'm glad you're happy with X10 - is monitoring even an option? If so, what is the monthly monitoring cost? What would the cost have been for the contact/glass break sensor?

Last edited:

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    Yes, monitoring is available.. it's about $10.00 mo. The door window sensors are a just few dollars each. They will come as part of the kits if you buy them that way. Cellular IS now an option with X-10 but is only available through the contractors program. That program is real easy to get in to and also gets you a discount on the products. You just sign up, it's easy..
    Your system in X-10 if you were doing the install would have been around $3-$400.00 in parts...

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Really, SimpliSafe is that recommended?

Are you saying that Simplisafe is a good recommendation or a bad one?

I am not surprised folks would recommend SimpliSafe. I am interested in hearing why.

Gents, just now revisiting this thread. I believe it was this forum (somewhere in another thread) I discussed my earlier experiences with Simplisafe. Bottom line, I do recommend it for budget conscious, non-DIY'ers that have an apartment or home of that size.

Stay safe.

Last edited:

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    Nice notes on Simplisafe.

I recently had Baltimore County process my alarm registration. I then enabled the Simplisafe's alarm dialer and did the pre-activation test.

I am using the Android app, so as I come up the driveway, I disable the alarm so I don't have to use the keypad when I get in the door. I haven't figured out how to exit the app though.

I had ordered some extra 3M tape from Simplisafe for the window magnets. I was finishing my window security film project and needed to reattach them.

Since I have a UPS on everything else electronic, I'm thinking of putting one on the base station to extend the time it can run when the house doesn't have power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom