• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    My father, who is a VA resident, would like to sell his Smith and Wesson Model 10 Revolver. He asked me what the laws are in Virginia and I honestly do not know. I thought I was told that it is just like selling a long gun here in MD, but what to be sure before I tell him that.

Can anyone confirm or better yet point me towards some online documentation that I can send to him.

Thanks in advance.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    My father, who is a VA resident, would like to sell his Smith and Wesson Model 10 Revolver. He asked me what the laws are in Virginia and I honestly do not know. I thought I was told that it is just like selling a long gun here in MD, but what to be sure before I tell him that.

Can anyone confirm or better yet point me towards some online documentation that I can send to him.

Thanks in advance.
    I believe VA allows face to face transactions between non-prohibited VA resident individuals otherwise known by libtards as the gun show loophole.

IANAL. For the love of God please verify my understanding of VA law before passing this info. on.

;)

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Yes. Face to face gun sales are legal in VA. I usually ask for VA Driver's license and either a voter registration card or a CHP. Although it is not required, I do it to make sure they are not prohibited. Sometimes, some will ask to sign a bill of sale. Again, none of it is required. Your Dad can just meet the guy somewhere and hand him the gun for cash. Hope that helps.

You can scroll down a few paragraphs and it answers the question:

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm

Hansohn Brothers

Jul 3, 2012
    Yes. Face to face gun sales are legal in VA. I usually ask for VA Driver's license and either a voter registration card or a CHP. Although it is not required, I do it to make sure they are not prohibited. Sometimes, some will ask to sign a bill of sale. Again, none of it is required. Your Dad can just meet the guy somewhere and hand him the gun for cash. Hope that helps.

You can scroll down a few paragraphs and it answers the question:

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm
    rouchna is spot on. Face to face is legal between VA residents with no extra paperwork required.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Found this in the FAQ's on the VSP website.

"Should the firearm ever be located at a crime scene, trace of the firearm will determine the licensed dealer who last sold the firearm and will identify the last buyer of the firearm. To have your name removed from this process, you may consider placing your firearm on consignment with a licensed dealer."

I am guessing that having a Bill of Sale would be enough to get around this and give the police a trail to hunt.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Found this in the FAQ's on the VSP website.

"Should the firearm ever be located at a crime scene, trace of the firearm will determine the licensed dealer who last sold the firearm and will identify the last buyer of the firearm. To have your name removed from this process, you may consider placing your firearm on consignment with a licensed dealer."

I am guessing that having a Bill of Sale would be enough to get around this and give the police a trail to hunt.

It is not necessary but yes, having a bill of sale is a good idea.

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    Said he wants $500 - I have no idea what it is worth yet, I only know that it is a 4" barrel and in very good condition.
    Not to be a downer but I see s&w 10s in excellent condition for $3-3,50. In shops here in Va. YMMV :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom