New Production Romanian 7.62x54R Corrossive?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    http://redarmystandard.com/7.62x54r_notice.html

The Romanians accidentally made a batch of 7.62x54R for Century Arm's brand name Red Army Standard with corrosive primers. They issued a recall and refunded people. Maybe that stuff is it and that's how they're getting rid of it. They're not specifying a particular lot number in the recall, so looks like they're taking it all back. I was wondering what Century was going to do with all that ammo.

Fender

Sep 26, 2014
    Rocky Ridge, MD
    Explains why they are selling it for roughly the same price as surplus corrosive rounds. I think they should sell it for a bit cheaper so they can get rid of it. There's no shortage of 54R (that I can tell) so it'll probably be awhile before their "oops" stock disappears.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I wonder if it's all corrosive, or mostly noncorrosive with some corrosive mixed in. Since they didn't specify lot numbers for the recall, it's either all corrosive or they simply don't know. Either way, there's no way to tell individual rounds apart without shooting them

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    I wonder if it's all corrosive, or mostly noncorrosive with some corrosive mixed in. Since they didn't specify lot numbers for the recall, it's either all corrosive or they simply don't know. Either way, there's no way to tell individual rounds apart without shooting them

everyone I know that bought some ended up with corrosive that psl..... that poor poor psl always clean comblock ammo like its corrosive always

Fender

Sep 26, 2014
    Rocky Ridge, MD
    How do you think accuracy compares to surplus?

Thanks for all the good info, very interesting read.

I don't know. The rounds were developed for the military so surplus rounds probably aren't that bad in terms of accuracy. Granted they aren't some "Remington-Winchester-SuperX-9000-Deer f*cker-match-SOCOM-rounds" but probably reach out and touch a human sized target at about 300 meters.

I don't think the accuracy would be much different. But, I am also not an ammo expert by any means so take that as you will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom