• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hog Sniper

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2008
    Well, a SURPRISE from Sig.. They DID make the 556R XI in 7.62x39 and have shipped some to vendors this week!! I should have one early next week to take a look at !!

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    is there a big difference with the 556R?

There is a second simultaneous thread that answers that question
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=161433

I've seen other threads in other forums that were not impressed with the 556R. There were issues with steel cased ammo in that model. I believe the 556R underwent some revisions but I don't know that the ability to shoot cheap ammo was one of them.

The XI has been on gunbroker for a while. Seems to be $200 more than the R, but that is more my impression the actual sales price.

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    There is a second simultaneous thread that answers that question

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=161433

I've seen other threads in other forums that were not impressed with the 556R. There were issues with steel cased ammo in that model. I believe the 556R underwent some revisions but I don't know that the ability to shoot cheap ammo was one of them.

The XI has been on gunbroker for a while. Seems to be $200 more than the R, but that is more my impression the actual sales price.

There were 2 generations of the 556R. The second batch seems to have the original kinks worked out. So far it has been a blast to shoot and all I've used is cheap crappy ammo. It's very accurate out to 100 yards.

One thing I'd like fixed is the selector switch. It's hard to reach as an "ambi". Also the 556R has to have the muzzle device removed, so you will have to replace it. All in all it is pretty sweet.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Saw a 7.62x39 the other day and fell in love with. Would really like one but some online research had less than flattering reviews.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    The last version of the 556R rocks. Have one. Its better than an AK. That said, I've been waiting patiently for the 556xi R. Being able to swap the charging handle to the left side HK/FAL style is fantastic.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Gen1 had a different stock too. If it looks like the one on their website you should be GTG. The gen2 has a steel insert where the mag lip hits. Gen1 were all aluminum.
    556R-hero-detail.jpg

Sirex