• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    I've got a couple thou of the Yugo surplus brass-cased stuff, plus probably 750 or so Wolf.

I have .310 projectiles, brass, and dies to reload as well....just no real desire at this point. :P

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I've got a couple thou of the Yugo surplus brass-cased stuff, plus probably 750 or so Wolf.

I have .310 projectiles, brass, and dies to reload as well....just no real desire at this point. :P

Is the Yugo stuff reloadable? I'm not sure I've ever actually had a brass 7.62x39 round in my hand

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Not that I'm aware of.

Although some genius had 200 rounds of winny at the range last time I was there. Left it all on the ground when he left. 18 seconds later it was in my ammo can. :D

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    ...other than the forces of supply/demand why is 7.62x39 brass case so darned expensive?

Ok here the deal...

A 9mm weighs .142 ounces & there are way too many of them...

Meanwhile a 7.62 x 39 weighs twice as much @ .282 ounces & they are rare when you discard all the ones with Berdan Primers...

So first they are both sold by a weight factor...

And then 9's are discounted & 7.62 x 39 get a Specialty Factor...

Currently 7.62 x 39's are selling for $0.195 cents each on Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/7-62X39-RELOADING-BRASS-CASINGS-22713/dp/B004HT0D8Y/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A7K2XBCQXDMZS

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    7.62x39 brass is out there. It can be found if you look.

But the economy of reloading 7.62x39 isn't really in the cost or availability of cases. It's in the cost of the components:

If you can find brass for, say, 20 cents each and reload it 5 times (assuming you can find it), there's 4 cents. Add another 3 cents for a primer and maybe 18 cents for a bullet plus a 8 cents for powder that's pushing 33 cents per round not including time invested.

When you can get steel case (which my AK's & SKS's love) for < a quarter per round...why reload the round?

Don't get me wrong, I can and do reload 7.62x39. One day the "tipping point" will arrive. In the meantime I have my reloads stashed away.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Cause there is soo much cheap steel cased ammo out there, that everybody shoots that.. it is about the same to reload a quality round (maybe even a little more) as buy a cheap steel round so most don't mess with it. Little demand, pay $$$ for brass. lol

I reload some, but only a fraction of what I shoot out of my AK barrels. It just doesn't pay like loading other ammo where you can get components cheaper.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    I've reloaded x39 For my Arsenal AK and have never got better accuracy that plain old Wolf black box gets (usually worse). It just wasn't worth the effort.

The already made steel cased rounds were cheaper than the components to reload the brass. Of course, I was loading A-Max bullets, which probably had something to do with it.:sad20:

Ironnewt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2012
    Harford County
    7.62x39 brass is out there. It can be found if you look.

But the economy of reloading 7.62x39 isn't really in the cost or availability of cases. It's in the cost of the components:

If you can find brass for, say, 20 cents each and reload it 5 times (assuming you can find it), there's 4 cents. Add another 3 cents for a primer and maybe 18 cents for a bullet plus a 8 cents for powder that's pushing 33 cents per round not including time invested.

When you can get steel case (which my AK's & SKS's love) for < a quarter per round...why reload the round?

Don't get me wrong, I can and do reload 7.62x39. One day the "tipping point" will arrive. In the meantime I have my reloads stashed away.

It's like .38 Spl ammunition used to be. You could shoot factory stuff almost a cheaply as commercial re-manufactured and that was only a bit more expensive than "home brewed" Now all the stuff is too expensive, or it comes in a box of 20 instead of a 50.

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    One of the reasons I love the AK is that I can shoot cheap, steel-cased ammo and not bother with reloading. Maybe someday it will be necessary, it isn't now. That's probably why the brass is so expensive, it isn't really economical to reload it vs. just buying factory steel-cased ammo. It is not like the AK is finicky about steel-cased ammo.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    you people do realize there are guns other than AK/SKS/AR15 chambered in 7.62x39, yes?

not every gun chambered in that round can do steel-cased plinkster ammo. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom