• ...and so much more!
  • AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    Hello All,

New member here.

Just finished my first C&R. Couldn't even wait until I got the license in the mail...paid the transfer fee.:banghead:

Overall this Yugo was in great shape, and all #s matching. I did refinish the stock with Formby's Tung Oil Finish and a coat of Johnson Wax on top.

Attachments

• IMG_0157.jpg
      IMG_0157.jpg
      28.9 KB · Views: 359

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    Thank you!

For those interested, I picked it up from Aim Surplus. I have only dealt with them a few times, but all have been pleasant. Very happy with it.

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    Thanks All.

I was really happy with the "tung oil" finish. From what I understand Formby's is more of a varnish, but it gave me the look I was aiming for.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Welcome to the forum, AACo. Looks like a nice Yugo you picked up.:thumbsup:

You may learn over time here many folks aren't fans of refinishing C&R toys. But, that depends on what the item is.

Take your SKS to the range and make some noise!

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    Thanks for the tip and the welcome j8064.

I was actually able to fire ~60 rounds this past Sunday. It was a pleasure to shoot.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Resist the urge to refinish in the future but know you have a solid rifle there.
    I wanted to refinish things when I started just like kids want to do things to an old beat up hot rod.
    I later got out it but graduated to rejuvenation only when appropriate.

Let's not be too hard on him here.

SKS loves the cheap Walmart Tulamo

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I'm being serious. I'm curious what it is that drives people to "improve" stuff. I'm not trying to give him a hard time. I really want to know. Maybe it's because I spent a while lurking on forums before I started collecting that I gained an appreciation for original stuff. Don't know, but I never had the urge.

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    :sign07:Sorry to disappoint guys.

I was originally going to clean the cosmo off as best as I could, but in the end decided to strip and sand. It was hard to tell what was cosmo and what was finish. Lesson learned, but I am still happy with it!

Got to keep the Curio, but lost the Relic.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I got no problems. It's a common $400 rifle. It's not an Uber rare $40k piece. Do what you like.

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    I'm being serious. I'm curious what it is that drives people to "improve" stuff. I'm not trying to give him a hard time. I really want to know. Maybe it's because I spent a while lurking on forums before I started collecting that I gained an appreciation for original stuff. Don't know, but I never had the urge.

I don't take offense very often, which seems to be rare this day and age.

I can understand why a lot of people want to leave the furniture alone. I mean, it is part of the story! When I really start spending money on some new (to me) C&R items, I'm sure I will do just that. I looked at this as more of a project than a collectors piece. I didn't "bring it back to life" or anything like that, but I made it my own.

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    Great choice for a first gun. I also have a Yugo 59/66 SKS and it shoots POA at 50 yards and within 1.5 MOA at 100 yards with a stand. Take good care of it, and it'll be a fun shooter for you.

Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    Nice looking Yugo for sure.. you did such a great job with yours I'll let you redo my next SKS

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo

I was watching videos on youtube. I'm an Engineer and I like to work on things.
    Luckily, I purchased 3 spare stocks back when AIM sold them, so I did it to one of those. Some people are "fiddlers" and that may some aspect to what drives them.

Look up mosin enough times on youtube and you see people refinishing stocks. then get the idea to do it cause it looks cool. That may be one thing that drives people do do that.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Like ProtegeV stated, it's just a common $400 rifle...and who cares. In many ways he is correct

Keep in mind, however, that back in the day, 1903's were like $10 as were other guns considered collectable today. Can't blame people for doing things with 'em in the 50's and 60's. Couldn't imagine doing something to one today like things were commonly done back then.

FYI, I have a otherwise pretty nice 1903 that was deparked and blued by a former career Army guy who was an armorer. He also refinished the wood in a satin or matte polycoat. Now, all the parts are original to the gun and in great shape as well as a very good shooter. All markings...including the cartouches in the wood as well as the metal... are present and looking nice. He obviously stripped finishes without sanding wood or buffing metal....or at least minimal sanding and /or buffing. The refinish work is actually nice and attractive. BUT!!! it's value now was impacted by the work he did to a once cheap and plentiful gun all those years ago.

That's why so many have a problem with refinishing any vintage gun.

Not busting chops....just tryin' to explain the thinking.

FYI, I love this gun and the fact it belonged to a now deceased friend makes me like it all the more.

Your gun looks nice to me. Have fun shooting and owning it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom