• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The sphinx

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2013
    Delaware
    Got Mine today. Letter from VSP August 19 just arrived 10-05. Is it just me or does the permit look like it was made by a 1st grader?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I guessed 9th grade print shop class. Resident permits are nothing but a slip of paper w/ no pic.

we're lucky in that regard, but that's about it. VA gets the 2A

ETA-don't try to trim it to fit your wallet either. Once you trim it past the glue, it falls apart.

don't ask how I know.

The sphinx

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2013
    Delaware
    I guessed 9th grade print shop class. Resident permits are nothing but a slip of paper w/ no pic.

we're lucky in that regard, but that's about it. VA gets the 2A

ETA-don't try to trim it to fit your wallet either. Once you trim it past the glue, it falls apart.

don't ask how I know.

Lol I'm glad you said that as I was about 10 minutes from trimming it down. I suppose I will carry the permit in a suit case or maybe have it sent to wherever I plan to carry VIA airplane.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I moved so I got a 2nd one with my new address on it. No trimming this time. I shoved it into a corner of my wallet where my cash goes. seems to stay there.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Fits perfectly in a Galls 2-window ID case without trimming (I carry my permits behind my DL in one window, my FD ID & credit cards in the other).

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Hmmm... I was able to laminate my CHP, trim it around the edges and have a clear border and it fits my tiny low-pro wallet.

It's really less of a wallet and more of a card holder.

Si vis pacem, para bellvm.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    You have a resident permit right? So you can make it small enough to fit.

The VA NR comes laminated and any attempt to trim it results in tjhe laminate separating and then the contents can fall out.

The NR is 3 3/4" x 2 5/8"'. You could possible trim the top and bottom but not the ends, and it still won't be the size of a normal DL and won't go in a typical wallet CC pocket.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    You have a resident permit right? So you can make it small enough to fit.

The VA NR comes laminated and any attempt to trim it results in tjhe laminate separating and then the contents can fall out.

The NR is 3 3/4" x 2 5/8"'. You could possible trim the top and bottom but not the ends, and it still won't be the size of a normal DL and won't go in a typical wallet CC pocket.

Oh damn... I didn't realize they were different sizes.

Yeah just get one of those neck lanyard ID wallet things maybe... lol

Si vis pacem, para bellvm.

Greyback

Nov 19, 2013
    In case others are waiting for VA NR conceal Permit...got my letter from VSP on Nov. 18th and just received permit granted today Jan. 23,2015

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    My last renewal took every bit of 120 days and they were late sending it to me, as my original had expired for a week.

I had to email them and ask where my renewal was. Then it showed up.

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    I had a va nr cwp when I lived in Md. Va. Sent a change of address card and I carry both cards. The nr lic doesn't expire till 2018 so I just saved the cost and minor hassle of getting a resident license. Speed traps with high fines seems to be an issue, (I haven't been stopped), along with the annual inspection that cost a whopping $20 ! Lol. I saved about 50%on car tags an insurance.
    Been here 7mos and still find it hard to believe I don't have to figure out which guns are legal or not,they all are! I giggle to myself when I see the little MD flags on the non MD compliant rifles at Big Dogs shop. The flags are a great idea by the way and they seem to know as much as anyone about Md issues.
    I almost hear E.Shell banging away from my house!

TopTechAgent

MDS Supporter
    Nov 30, 2012
    Mooresville, NC
    Original App: VA received 09/17. I Rcvd Letter from VA dated 09/18. Rcvd permit with Envelope postmarked 11/25. Things seem to be speeding up.

By the way, these permits look like something that could be made in your basement by a fifth grader.

Last edited:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    yep. pretty sad given the cheap availability of computers and printers. And the darn thing is too big to put in your wallet's cc pocket

Don't try to trim it either. don't ask how I know this

:sad20:

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I had a va nr cwp when I lived in Md. Va. Sent a change of address card and I carry both cards. The nr lic doesn't expire till 2018 so I just saved the cost and minor hassle of getting a resident license. Speed traps with high fines seems to be an issue, (I haven't been stopped), along with the annual inspection that cost a whopping $20 ! Lol. I saved about 50%on car tags an insurance.
    Been here 7mos and still find it hard to believe I don't have to figure out which guns are legal or not,they all are! I giggle to myself when I see the little MD flags on the non MD compliant rifles at Big Dogs shop. The flags are a great idea by the way and they seem to know as much as anyone about Md issues.
    I almost hear E.Shell banging away from my house!

Is your VA Non-Res still valid if you establish VA residency, even after notifying the VSP?

Are you not required to get a VA resident permit from your county court clerk?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I am trying to find the cite, but I remember reading that a non resident permit is still good with a change of address card from VSP after establishing residency in VA up until the expiration date, at which time you apply to the Court clerk in your county for a permit.

i will keep looking.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I am trying to find the cite, but I remember reading that a non resident permit is still good with a change of address card from VSP after establishing residency in VA up until the expiration date, at which time you apply to the Court clerk in your county for a permit.

i will keep looking.
    This is correct. I believe you and I have posted this before. Just don't remember where I got it, maybe FAQ on VSP website. Anyway, Keep the non resident permit with a VSP change of address card and you are good to go until it expires. But above all be sure to get the address change card.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The VA NR permit actually goes through more background checks than the one issued by the county court clerk. i.e fingerprints and a NICS check. That's why WI honors the VA NR permit but not the resident permit.

Apd09

May 30, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Bump

Anyone have some recent dates?

Mine went in the mail today so seeing how long a wait might be.

Trying to figure out what comes first, NFA tax stamp sent last week or VA Non Resident CCW.

Which side you on, I'm guessing CCW.

Sent from a galaxy far, far, away....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom