• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    I have never bought a gun knowing so little about it, but I took a chance....

So I did some trading and ended up with this. I know ZERO about Garands, Part of me thinks I did good, but part of me things I just got a "parts" gun. I know its rebuilt obviously, new stock and all. I was told it is a CMP gun, but there is no Cert.

Please tell me anything you can about this, thanks! I have no idea how old it is, how correct it is.... Im lost......

-YS

Attachments

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      47 KB · Views: 1,189
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      50.6 KB · Views: 1,116
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      75.3 KB · Views: 1,055
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      57.7 KB · Views: 1,023
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      40.8 KB · Views: 1,182

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    The only thing anyone needs to know about Garands is keep pulling the bang switch until it goes *ping*

I can tell you that 5.8mil serial # puts it at mid 1950s production, not WWII.

Easytarget18

Señor Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    It was made probably in 1955 based on the serial, which would lead me to believe that is has the original barrel. The bolt drawing number that you have is correct for a 5.8mil Springfield receiver. Obviously no idea on the rest of the parts without seeing the numbers. So far from what I see you are on the path to correct. I think the stock maybe a newer issue though and the finish is really new looking - maybe redone? My Garand kung-fu isn't as strong as some of the fellas around here and I am sure they will chime in (my lane is Lugers).

The how "how well did I do?" question is based on what you traded for the rifle. Either way you have a good example of a M1 that will serve you well on the range.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Also, look on the barrel between the hand guard and the front sight for Arlington or Blue Sky import marks. They are very, very, small.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The stock is a new CMP replacement. Looks good, makes for a good shooter, but may need a little minor fitting.

5.8 million SA is late production. Yours looks very good. I'm sure it's a CMP gun. That excellent "Read This First" book ships with every CMP Garand.

It could conceivably be a Service Grade Special, which were Correct/Collector Grade rifles with no stocks. The CMP put them in new stocks.

Check the parts drawing numbers against

http://usriflecal30m1.com/Parts/PartsList.aspx

to check "correctness".

It looks really good, and I'll bet you did well on the price.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Yes, the CMP Special has a Criterion barrel. It's basically a new rifle built from parts.

(The OP's barrel is USGI, Springfield production, dated 4/55.)

The Service Grade Special was different. These were Correct rifles in new condition which had no stocks. The CMP put new stocks on them.

You can check for "correctness" by plugging your serial number in at
    http://usriflecal30m1.com/Parts/PartsList.aspx to create a component list. Then go over the rifle piece by piece comparing drawing numbers, heat lot codes, etc against that list. If every part is consistent with that list, you can call the rifle "Correct".

"Correct" doesn't necessarily mean every part is original to that rifle. It just means everything is consistent with the parts which were original. If the hammer was ever swapped, it was swapped for an identical one, for instance (a type 2J with the drawing number SA 5546008).

If it is "correct", then you might want to find a "correct" stock for it. If it isn't "correct", then you still have a really, really nice Service Grade.

No CMP rifle will have an import stamp, by the way. They are not imports. Whether they spent the years between 1956 and today in Tennessee or Turkey, they were always US Government property until the day the Army turned them over to the CMP.

Also, new stock doesn't mean rebuilt. The CMP received lots of rifles with badly beat up stocks, fugly Greek replqacement stocks, or no stocks at all. The put new stocks on many Service Grades. Service Grades should all be Mixmasters to some degree. That is normal for USGI rifles, which gets parts replaced, repaired, or upgraded over the years. Parts get mixed in barracks, too. A late production rifle like yours might have only one or two swapped, "incorrect" parts. If so, you could "correct" them, if you want.

Me, I'd take it out and shoot it. Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! PING!

I hope you got ammo. You really should grab 10 cans of this HXP on clips:

http://estore.thecmp.org/store/catalog/catalog.aspx?pg=product&ID=4C3006X216-192P

People are selling the empty bandoleers and clips for like $40 shipped, so these spam cans are a good deal. Best deal out there.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Damn, I just realized your rifle has a WWII trigger guard. Not a Service Grade Special, then, but a really nice Service Grade.

100_2146.jpg

The milled trigger guard on top was replaced by the stamped version in the middle in 1944.

The bottom version is post war.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Choot em Jake Don't forget to lube it up If you did not know a Garand should not be shot with commercial 30-06 unless it's rated for Garand use. So there are no stamps on the stock ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom