• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    147gn .355 Black and Blue coated bullets, 2.5gn TG, 1.160 OAL. Admittedly, this is a pretty tame load, but I wanted to start with something easy before I get to messing with the 160gn 9mm stuff. Definitely a learning experience, especially with learning what's a normal variance with OAL... I was being perhaps a little too picky about being within a thousandth of the desired OAL.

Attachments

• first batch.jpg
      first batch.jpg
      53.9 KB · Views: 369

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    Congrats! Are you nerves? I was with my first batch, man that was 20 years ago. Still have all my fingers...:D Good luck at the range.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Congrats! Are you nerves? I was with my first batch, man that was 20 years ago. Still have all my fingers...:D Good luck at the range.
    A little, but not overly so. I know there are no double or zero charges, there's a ton of upwards room in the loading in real life, and I bought nice enough tools that I feel confident they didn't lie to me. If anything, I'm probably a little more concerned that I left a little too much OAL and they won't cycle as well as they should, but I guess that's why you work up, right?

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Boolits vary a little, FMJ's are more consistent, but when you coat them you lost some of that length consistency, so give or take a couple thousandths won't usually matter for a pistol as long as you are averaging the right length.

Tip.. load a dummy round, no powder or primer and cycle it through your pistol. It will point out any glaring issues immediately. BEFORE you load up a bunch.. ;)

I load a dummy round for setting up the seating die with every different round I load... take the dummy, stick it in the press, adjust the seater to the boolit and you are setup for that round again. Quick and easy..

CONGRATS!!

edit... you can always make em shorter, but... with coated boolits that may be an issue, as they have been crimped, but you can set em up and bump em down a bit if need be with your seating die

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Tip.. load a dummy round, no powder or primer and cycle it through your pistol. It will point out any glaring issues immediately. BEFORE you load up a bunch.. ;)
    I used the Lyman 9mm max gauge for some checking, and it did save me from a mistake with too-long bullet seating (before I crimped, thankfully). Handy little device to have on hand, and not too expensive, either.

I was skeptical of going single stage up front, but I'm kinda glad I did now. Forcing me to go slow made it much harder to make mistakes because I was always inspecting my work in the tray.

It was also a little funny how the part of the process I was most worried about - powder charging - was really the smoothest part of the whole endeavor. I tuned my RCBS Uniflow (had to swap to the small cylinder), got my (high quality) digital scale calibrated and zeroed correctly, and things were just boring reliable, even with frequent checking.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I used the Lyman 9mm max gauge for some checking, and it did save me from a mistake with too-long bullet seating (before I crimped, thankfully). Handy little device to have on hand, and not too expensive, either.

I was skeptical of going single stage up front, but I'm kinda glad I did now. Forcing me to go slow made it much harder to make mistakes because I was always inspecting my work in the tray.

It was also a little funny how the part of the process I was most worried about - powder charging - was really the smoothest part of the whole endeavor. I tuned my RCBS Uniflow (had to swap to the small cylinder), got my (high quality) digital scale calibrated and zeroed correctly, and things were just boring reliable, even with frequent checking.
    Yes, case gauges and cartridge gauges are invaluable and I agree... It is simple to start off with a single stage press and learn... I still load on the same press I started with 35yrs ago. I have seen no need to change, don't burn THAT much ammo and I load for precision, not quantity. Single staging it gives you many opportunities to inspect, find defects, etc as you load.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    Congrats erwos!
    I use a Wilson case gauge on occasion, but don't find any out of spec since I use the Lee FCD (after the seating die is set). Occasionally, an AMERC case finds its way into the queue and those things hardly ever conform.
    I am curious about those 160 gr. bullets you mentioned. I have been told that some hand guns don't stabilize larger bullets well. Do you have a particular reason for such a weight/size?
    I used to load 147 grainers for pin shooting and never cared about how they did beyond 25 ft., but now use 115s exclusively (mainly for cost).
    DocAitch

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    The LEE FCD and universal deprimer are two LEE products I can recommend. I just throw AMERC brass in the recycling bucket.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Congrats erwos!
    I am curious about those 160 gr. bullets you mentioned. I have been told that some hand guns don't stabilize larger bullets well. Do you have a particular reason for such a weight/size?
    I use pistol caliber carbines extensively, and I think they'd make a nice load for such guns. I also just like the concept of ultra-heavy bullets in general, and want to try something a bit off the beaten path. The guys at the Enos forums make extensive use of the 158gr/160gr bullets, so there's a fair bit of resources for trying to load them.

mtlcafan79

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2008
    PG
    I've shot some of the Xtreme 9mm 165's over 2.4gr of Solo 1000. They are super soft shooting and really quiet through a can.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I've shot some of the Xtreme 9mm 165's over 2.4gr of Solo 1000. They are super soft shooting and really quiet through a can.
    If I had been able to hunt up some Solo 1000 at the Chantilly show, I probably would be using that loading... it seems very popular.

Still haven't found a good time to get out to the range and try them - maybe Sunday afternoon this week.

mtlcafan79

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2008
    PG
    Solo 1000 is totally MIA. The bottle I was loading from has a '99 date on it. I think you'd have a better chance with the VV powders for single based cleaner options. N320 is on my list of things to try with subsonic 9.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom