• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    For those with 308 AR type rifles, what kind of groups do you get with generic, premium and handloads?

Any observations on reliability issues would be helpful. May be getting into heavy metal class 3 gun. The Garand gives away a little too much.

Thank you in advance.

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Using my Ruger SR762....

I have a 150 gr handload with 8208 xbr that shoots .5-.75 moa at 100yds...

also a 168gr bthp handload also with 8208 xbr that shootd .5 moa or better at 100 yds...

factory federal xm80cl shoots right around .75 moa at 100 yds

and pmc 147 gr shoots from .75-1 moa consistently....

if you want the recipe for either let me know....would be happy to help

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    for 3 gun, check out the JP Rifles options. great reputation for accuracy and reliability. I got their AR-15 version (ctr02) last year and have only done a few 2 and 3 gun matches with it, but it ran and shot great. BIL does have the lrp07 and hasn't shot it much but most if not all IIRC was submoa at 100 with fed gold medal and one or two other premium target factory loads.

TheBulge

Mar 7, 2011
    I just finished building a 308ar.

With match ammo from a bipod I get consistent 0.75"-1" five shot groups at 100yd.
    With pseudo-match stuff like steel match and prvi match its around 1.25"-1.75"
    I haven't tried fmj but I expect around 2"-3"

Its been 100% reliable since I got the adjustable gas dialed in.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    My biggest suggestions are to stay away from carbine length gas systems, get one that takes DPMS/SR25 type magazines (This means it accepts the 308PMAG, which increases reliability), and get a click adjustable gas block so the gun can be tuned to your load!

qorban88

Jan 11, 2015
    I would also recommend a rifle length gas system. 308 AR's almost always overgassed and a longer gas tube allows the system to operate at a lower pressure, and it increases the dwell time of the bolt. I went so far as to custom order a 16 inch barrel with a rifle gas system from Black Hole Weaponry. It still functions properly even with the gas turn down about 30%. I also use an adjustable gas block from SLR Rifleworks.

Bart_man

Clinging to gun&religion
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hazzard County
    I've been building on a MATEN receiver set for more than a year and finally finished last month. The below results are stated with the caveat that I am LEARNING to shoot long range so the biggest limitations are most likely my skills.
    I built 2 uppers - an 18" .308 and a 6.5 creedmore 24"
    I've had it out 3 times 1, for function test 2, for 100yd zero and 3 for shooting at 300 and 600yd.
    I have a lot of tuning and work left to do. The .308 is definitely overgassed I need to take it back out and adjust the gas block to the right setting.
    the nikon m223 scope I have on it is insufficient at 600 yards - at least for my shooting skills - but it was what I had. At 300 yards I'm pinging a 6in steel nicely. Once I get some appropriate optics on it I will see what I get at 600 again.
    I have yet to stretch the legs of the 6.5creedmore. The ammo is expensive.

Now the rest of the story,
    The rifle is super lightweight. carbon fiber barrels, carbon fiber handguards skeleton stock etc. It weighs 8lbs. The lack of weight was desired to make it fieldable, but may affect accuracy due to increased felt recoil. I did several things to mitigate this with the buffer spring and the BCG but what I have not done yet is install a good muzzle break to reduce recoil.
    it FEELs to me very smooth, but I still want to try a good muzzle break and view the results.

Heres a pic because of course :needpics:

dsc_0036.jpg

Panther6

Grey Beard
    Nov 29, 2014
    Cecil County
    Magnumite, I shoot a DPMS LRT-SASS 308 (7.62 x51). The only ammunition that I shoot is 175 GR/HPBT LR M118. I shoot a lot and have attained .279 MOA groups at 100 yards. Scope is a Trijicon 5-20x50 and works well in combination with the gun. Additionally, I am shooting with the aid of the bi-pod that came with the gun and a monopod that I picked-up.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    My biggest suggestions are to stay away from carbine length gas systems, get one that takes DPMS/SR25 type magazines (This means it accepts the 308PMAG, which increases reliability), and get a click adjustable gas block so the gun can be tuned to your load!

OP, pardon the hijack, but, Chad, is there a 'list' somewhere of what AR-308 rifles take the DPMS/SR25 magazines???????

I'm interested (in the semi-near future) in buying one of these rifles.

Thanks!

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    Dpms upper with 20in bull barrel, gisselle trigger, 3X9 leopold with any ammo holes are touching at 100 yards. 500 yards all are in the 8 ring in fbi silhouette. Match grade some are virtually in the same hole. If it's set up correctly anyone can shot them like that. Took my wife and best friend to shoot one day and they showed it was the gun not me. top is the dpms but the real tack driver in the safe is fnar at bottom

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
      unnamed.jpg
      12.3 KB · Views: 518

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    OP, pardon the hijack, but, Chad, is there a 'list' somewhere of what AR-308 rifles take the DPMS/SR25 magazines???????

I'm interested (in the semi-near future) in buying one of these rifles.

Thanks!

I have not seen one, but it may be out there. Most manufacturers offer the DPMS/SR25 Magazine option. Even Armalite does on, I believe it's the A4 models???

The non standardization of .308 AR's is one thing I despise about the platform. Some uppers won't fit on some lowers, some guns take the AR10 bolt, some take the dpms, then there's gas piston .308 ARs. Now DPMS G2 rifles are another different system.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    I love accuracy threads. Everybody's gun shoots .25 MOA out of the box with factory ammo.

While not .25 every 308 I've had with heavy barrels are very accurate rifles especially the bolt guns. What I am impressed with now is that there are semi autos that are coming EXTREMELY close to that. You are more than welcome to come and shoot with me anytime.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    While not .25 every 308 I've had with heavy barrels are very accurate rifles especially the bolt guns. What I am impressed with now is that there are semi autos that are coming EXTREMELY close to that. You are more than welcome to come and shoot with me anytime.
    You're missing my point. People on the internet make outrageous claims about accuracy that are not even remotely repeatable. I don't really doubt that you can buy sub-MOA guns at a reasonable price these days, but that's a far cry from the half-MOA stories I hear bandied about like candy on certain forums.

SgtKope

Nov 7, 2009
    Crofton, MD
    You're missing my point. People on the internet make outrageous claims about accuracy that are not even remotely repeatable. I don't really doubt that you can buy sub-MOA guns at a reasonable price these days, but that's a far cry from the half-MOA stories I hear bandied about like candy on certain forums.

My sub MOA gun was reasonably priced at $3100...ouch!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom