• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • razorV23

TK421
    Dec 18, 2008
    Annapolis
    Well I just picked up this from another member and just completed some mods to it. I removed the sights/carry handle and added a rail and scope (not sure if it will stay this way, but it will do for now, besides I had all the parts in the spare parts bin). I removed the barrell nuts/thread protectors and installed a A2 flash hider. I also installed a rail in front of the grip for a VFG to be added later. I need to do something with the charging handle and take it to the range and see how she runs. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

razorV23

TK421
    Dec 18, 2008
    Annapolis
    Nice little mods you did. If you are interested in upgrading even more you can see my web site for other things you can do, I even have a replacement charging handle for you.

All the way from AZ. I have seen your website and work very nice, I hope this isn't a one time visit.

I have removed the scope and rail already and am thinking of putting my MSAR rail on it, I have mocked it up and it will match up with the factory charging handle. Or I may trade/sell the rifle for something else.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    IMO, just looking at the picture, the way the sight rail is mounted looks a little shaky. How solid is it? To me it just looks like a couple screws and some shims/spacers.

razorV23

TK421
    Dec 18, 2008
    Annapolis
    IMO, just looking at the picture, the way the sight rail is mounted looks a little shaky. How solid is it? To me it just looks like a couple screws and some shims/spacers.

I have removed the rail already, it was cheesy. I am thinking of instaling a rail from a STG556 on top. I have it mocked up and looks good, I will post pics later.

srfnken

Jun 12, 2010
    I will try and not make it a one time visit. I am trying to make it on all the boards talking about the M17s. If there are any questions I can answer about the rifle, I am pretty knowledgeable about them like many others.
    Ken

razorV23

TK421
    Dec 18, 2008
    Annapolis
    New Pics

I installed the STG556 rail, I like it. Now I need to do something about the charging handle. anyone have any ideas? Been thinking about shorten the barrel 3" also.

Attachments

• IMG_3233.jpg
      IMG_3233.jpg
      32.2 KB · Views: 2,134
    • IMG_3234.jpg
      IMG_3234.jpg
      46.9 KB · Views: 441

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    That looks 100x better with the STG rail. Is your charging handle contacting the rail? if so I'd relieve the less expensive part for clearance (or get a new handle as you are considering).

I'm assuming the charging handle does not reciprocate with the bolt? If so, what keeps it from moving to the rear? I've been hit in the nose a few times by an M16 charging handle in ROTC (guess the latch spring was worn or there was a burr on the carrier key or something) and it wasn't fun. Like getting a little punch in the nose when you're trying to hit a target. :sad20:

razorV23

TK421
    Dec 18, 2008
    Annapolis
    That looks 100x better with the STG rail. Is your charging handle contacting the rail? if so I'd relieve the less expensive part for clearance (or get a new handle as you are considering).

I'm assuming the charging handle does not reciprocate with the bolt? If so, what keeps it from moving to the rear?

There is a spring inside the rifle that holds the CH forward, it does not reciprocate.
    I thinking of sanding down the plastic CH to match the top of the rail or fabericating a new one.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    There is a spring inside the rifle that holds the CH forward, it does not reciprocate.
    I thinking of sanding down the plastic CH to match the top of the rail or fabericating a new one.

Ok, the UZI works in a similar manner. Never had a problem with the bolt handle coming back, but then again you wouldn't notice if it did because your face is behind the rear sight.

It's looking nice. How does it shoot and how reliable is your M17S?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom