• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I spoke with Rashee today and went on record about the current MSP wait time. She sounded very professional and Pro 2A.

I also spoke with her last evening, and I have to agree with you. I'm sure it won't do any good but at least her story might get some print time.

CNS-Rashee

Journalist with CND-Md
    Hi Friends!

Publication went up just now. Here's the link to CNS.

Joe - sorry your quote got pushed down so low. I LOVE what you had to say!

Everyone please give me your honest opinions! My opinion after working on this story all week is that the state/federal law aspect of this was such a mess to wade through... I hope my efforts to take the jargon-y language out of the story did not take away from the main message.

Everyone have a great & safe weekend - stay warm! This snow is a complete mystery to me... Being from Texas, 50 degrees is freezing...

RRK

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Hi Friends!

Publication went up just now. Here's the link to CNS.

Joe - sorry your quote got pushed down so low. I LOVE what you had to say!

Everyone please give me your honest opinions! My opinion after working on this story all week is that the state/federal law aspect of this was such a mess to wade through... I hope my efforts to take the jargon-y language out of the story did not take away from the main message.

Everyone have a great & safe weekend - stay warm! This snow is a complete mystery to me... Being from Texas, 50 degrees is freezing...

RRK

Good article Rashee. With that kind of balanced reporting, you will find a plethora of people here willing to work with you to provide you with material for future articles.

You have my personal email, please feel free to contact me as needed.

jvegas

Ultimate Member
    Aug 15, 2009
    It's a shame that law abiding citizens have to be subjected to these long waits.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Very good article. You asked for opinions so... I noticed references to "weapons" a couple of times. Most of us here tend to refer to them as firearms to get away from the negative connotations. Also, we tend to refer to "assault weapons" as semiautomatic rifles for the same reason. The MSP waiting period is for regulated firearms.

Last edited:

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    Nice story Rashee. There was no scapegoating. You described a confluence of circumstances that're producing an unintended outcome. And I think that's exactly what's happening.

MSP isn't dragging its feet (just my opinion), it's simply overwhelmed...and yes a simple state solution would be to release firearms after 7 days but that's not legally possible for gun shops from a federal perspective...wouldn't be sensible either...

You called balls and strikes, nice job.

PS - I spoke to trooper Lauretta Thompson (heads MSP's Designated Regulated Firearms Collectors licensing) a few days ago. She said they received more applications in one month (November or December) than they had for all of 2012. I wasn't sure if she meant requests for collector status or background checks but either way, that spells overwhelmed...

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    A very good article, my only bone to pick is the use of assault weapon, the closest thing to that term would be a full automatic aka a machine gun. those take a lot more money and months to go through the federal system. Here a handgun and certain rifles that look scary are regulated firearms that require the longer background check and 7 day wait or as you pointed out longer since the state police are severely over whelmed.

I hope you spend a lot of time here and I'm sure you will get more help than you could ever want.

USAFRavenR6

Apr 7, 2012
    Mur-land
    I'm about to read the article now but I wanted to chime in on my experience to date. I waited 19 days to be admin denied, reapplied that same day, and I'm currently on day 10 of round 2. What a bunch of ******** if you ask me

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Yeah, next time remember its not assault weapon, at most its "guns with cosmetic features that resemble" assault weapons.

The cosmetic features ban is just silly

wesser1

Dec 19, 2012
    Havre de Grace
    Yeah, next time remember its not assault weapon, at most its "guns with cosmetic features that resemble" assault weapons.

The cosmetic features ban is just silly

There is no such thing as an "assault weapon", there is an "assault rifle" and it's fully automatic which most (if not all of) us do not own one. The preferred term is regulated firearm.

mward

Ultimate Member
    Dec 4, 2009
    Annapolis
    I'm about to read the article now but I wanted to chime in on my experience to date. I waited 19 days to be admin denied, reapplied that same day, and I'm currently on day 10 of round 2. What a bunch of ******** if you ask me

Why did you get denied?

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    After reading the article, it seemed to be reasonably balanced with perhaps a slight pro 2A touch. However, one thing was not clear; Andy at Engage Armament indicated that MSP is being "more and more restrictive". How, why, and on what basis is MSP being "more restrictive"? I know the time frame from submitting to MSP L&R new applications to completion of same has been extended by two to four weeks due to the extreme high volume of applications submitted, subsequently extending the wait time up towards four weeks, but the so-called "more restrictive" aspect? The restrictions aren't any greater than they were in the past few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom