• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • justeric

Apr 6, 2010
    A neighbors Son called and asked what shotgun he should get. He said he has $200 to buy the gun. I asked what he plans to use the gun for and he said, shooting trap, skeet, maybe some hunting and home defense. I think he wants a shot gun that will cover as many bases as possible. I told him that a $200 shot gun is pretty much limited to home defense.

What do you think would be a good starter gun for my neighbors 21 year old son. I’m leaning towards telling him to save up and get a used 870 Remington. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Eric

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Save up another $125 and go for the 870 Express or a Mossy 500. Bass Pro has them both for $329. Probably find them a little cheaper on sale. I shot all the clays games and hunted with an 870 express, served me well until I could afford my Brownings.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    In the self defense variations, I think the Pardner & IAC Hawks give an 870 Express a run for the money. $200 and no MIM or plastic parts except for the butt stock, forearm, and maybe the mag follower. Barrels are not interchangeable with 870s but almost everyhing else is. What does an 870 Express cost?

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    With that budget (as already stated) best bang for the buck (pun definitely intended) is the 870.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    870 or 500. You can do all the above with both. When I was shooting trap a couple years ago my average was low 20s with my 870. Hit 25 twice with it. I didn't shoot that much either.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Tell him to hit up some pawn shops that sell guns. He can probably find an 870 or 500 close to his budget if he doesn't mind it being a little banged up.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Dicks in Hunt Valley today had Maverick 12 gauge for around $225.??

Poor man's Moss 500

or

Check out Northwestern Pawn on Pennsylvania Ave in Baltimore City.

http://www.nwpawn.com/guns.htm

They have several 12 gauge pumps for under $200. Lots of store brand shotguns made by the big gun manufacturers are list in their inventory.

Write down the inventory numbers and bring a bright flash light. They will either pull the guns out for you or they might take you up into the gun locker on the third floor. Call ahead, I believe the guns are handled by one person.

It's not the name brand of the shotgun but how you use what you have that counts!

DF

nerfherder

Apr 22, 2011
    right here
    Here's another vote for the used racks. Many times you come across guns that were purchased new but for whatever reason weren't used more than once or twice before being sold. There's some good deals out there.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    Last year I bought a decent condition 12GA camo Mossberg 590 with chokes and two barrels (turkey and field) for $175 off of Armslist. Bought his rifled Mossberg 500 with a broken sight for $150. Real nice guy too.

My recommendation is to watch Armslist and our classifieds real close and see if anything pops up. Gunbroker might not be a bad idea if somewhat local.

You should be able to get a used 500/879 for close to $200. Especially that hunting season is winding down. Just be a little patient...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

senetor24

Mar 4, 2013
    I'd go for a used 870. I found a barely fired one recently at an auction for $200. He could probably find one at a show or an LGS used rack for that price if not better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom