• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EMS_92

Oct 8, 2012
    So I just bought a Pietta 1858 Remington, I got pyrodex FFFg powder, CCI no. 10 caps, Cabelas lubricated wads, Hornady balls, a capper, flask, measure, and a friend who wants to get me started. Any tips? I plan on doing the NRA/Winchester marksmanship program at the range I go to to track my progress. This is the first handgun I ever owned and what should have been my first gun instead of theCircuit Judge I promptly sold (still can't sell the ammunition or casings) so I'm really excited to get started.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Get a loading stand. This will make it 100X easier to load at the range.

Get a nipple pick. A stiff piece of thin wire can be used but if it bends is not optimal.

Get a nipple wrench.

Get a small thin piece of wood, some people just use a small screwdriver to press on the caps to see they are fully seated.

If you have a misfire, keep the gun pointed down range for a good 45 seconds to make sure it's not a hang-fire.

Remove and grease the threads of the nipples and re-install. Use only enough so it doesn't squeeze out into the chamber excessively. Do this with each cleaning. Make sure the nipples are unobstructed before loading.

Clean entire gun after each use.

Last edited:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Here is a thread you might look at:

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=3223078#post3223078

And a post from that thread:
    Paper cartridges won't be faster. That's why nobody uses them. You just have to get your system down.
    I know a guy who can reload his cap and ball revolver almost as fast as you could a loading-gate type cartridge gun.

Look at this thread:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=146458&highlight=loading+tubes

Particularly, see this post:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=2921481&postcount=60

Get about 100 of these little tubes:

You put a measured charge of 3fg in each tube, and take them to the range in a case box/ammo box.

MTMP503824_5.jpg

The guy I refer to who loads so fast uses these or similar tubes. He sets everything out on the bench where he can reach it.

Revolver in loading stand.
    Grab tube, pop top with thumb, charge chamber, drop tube in lid of case box.
    Repeat for six chambers--- time, about 8 seconds.
    Drop a ball in each chamber --- time - maybe 5 seconds.
    Seat balls --- time maybe 4 seconds.
    He used crisco/beeswax for lube. Had it in a little tub, like a musket cap tin. Used a little hors d'oerve type cheese knife to smear lube in a huge mess all over the face of the cylinder. He lubed and sealed in about 2 seconds that way.

images

With practice you can cap the nipples in maybe ten seconds or less.

You can easily reload in under 1 minute with a little practice and organization.
    I'm estimating about 30 seconds for this guy I used to shoot with, but he was fast, and better organised than I. Those pop-top tubes he used are much better than the rubbery tubes I describes in that thread I told you to read.

You can try paper cartridges someday for fun, but I'll bet you can reload .38 Special on a single-station press just as fast.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    The little plastic vials are a godsend for pistol loading. My time at the range is short so anything I can do at home helps. I just store mine in a zip lock bag when taking to the range.
    You will read about cornmeal/cream of wheat to go on top of the powder before the ball. Save that for after your progressing. See if you can shoot from a stand or braced when you start so you get confidence in the gun.

Don't forget to learn to take it down cause you have to clean it that day.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    One more thing since this is your first handgun and excuse me if this is obvious but I've seen people do it (they do it only once).

Don't use a two handed grip where the other hand is anywhere forward of the grip. I've seen people wrap one of their hands around the cylinder. Bad on any type of revolver.

EMS_92

Oct 8, 2012
    I actually got a flask and powder measure you can see with a locking brass piece to lock in a certain amount of powder. I also have a nipple pick. Should I get a nipple wrench and anti- seize?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I actually got a flask and powder measure you can see with a locking brass piece to lock in a certain amount of powder. I also have a nipple pick. Should I get a nipple wrench and anti- seize?

Definitly should get a pistol nipple wrench if your in it for the long haul. I used some wide nose Harbor Freight needle nose pliers at first but that is painful if its stuck on good.
    There is a paste anti sieze in a big tube (which lasts forever) and a harder stuff in a large chapstick type tube. But I have 5 muzzleloaders to service. I use the big tube on the nipples. I"ve heard of some people just using any grease they have handy cause you don't leave it long after shooting before you take it apart.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

I remove the nipples every time I clean. Which is after each day of shooting. An enormous amount of crud gets into the gaps around the nipples.

I've never used anti-seize I just use regular gun grease.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Let's take this from the top...

Shoot up the Pyrodex, then get a supply of black powder. Goex will do nicely.

Yes, you need a nipple wrench. A nipple pick is not really needed for a revolver.

A loading stand is not really needed, you hold the revolver in your left hand, perform all loading operations with the right. That's how I load.

Pre-measured charges will help. I use Speer shot capsules. I also use Cream of Wheat as an over-powder filler. That comes from a second powder flask (different shape from my gunpowder flask).

I'd suggest a 15 grain charge to start with.

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    The 1858 is a nice gun. I have 2 of them. Mine likes the .454" balls. Looking in my BP range box I see the following stuff beyond the usual....
    A crab mallet.
    Chop sticks.
    Roll of thin wire for cleaning nipples.
    Toothbrush.
    Small funnel.
    Have fun, be careful.

EMS_92

Oct 8, 2012
    My old lady bought me a nipple wrench today after a day trip to Cabelas and Christiana mall :-)

What kind of screw driver should I use to disassemble it? I have yet to clean the guts of it...

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    My old lady bought me a nipple wrench today after a day trip to Cabelas and Christiana mall :-)

What kind of screw driver should I use to disassemble it? I have yet to clean the guts of it...

Hollow ground. Preferably a gun smith set. They can be pretty pricey but some of these European repros I've seen can have thin slots on a wide screw head.

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Get in touch with the Marriottsville Muzzle Loaders club at the AGC. They are a great bunch of guys and will help get you fixed up. They have a lot of fun events shooting black powder. Go to the AGC website and look for their contact listing under the clubs menu.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    A two pronged lobster fork is good for removing stuck/jammed caps. I also like Triple 7 {water cleanup} --- triple F --- powder. Instead of wads: I use one minute Cream of Wheat {for filler} along with a combination of 2/3's Butter Crisco and 1/3 pure beeswax blend.

I find that a empty 357 shell casing makes an excellent chamber powder pourer. I bungee cord the pistol on the loading stand while loading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom