• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cad68m_m

Member MSI, SAF, NRA
    Nov 26, 2011
    Calvert
    You would think they would want to uphold the rights of the inner city poor based on the quote from their 2014 Annual Report. I was really amused by their reply to my letter.

Attachments

• ACLU&reply.pdf
      975 KB · Views: 514

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    You would think they would want to uphold the rights of the inner city poor based on the quote from their 2014 Annual Report. I was really amused by their reply to my letter.

Their reply sounds like a standard letter as if they have had multiple requests for assistance. It probably frosts them every time they have to refer someone to the NRA.:lol:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

Ha, thanks for putting in the effort to elicit a response from them. If a visible minority civil rights organization ever started making noise about gov't laws selectively interfering with their right to self defense, I somehow don't think that the ACLU would send the same advice.

BradyWarrior

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 13, 2014
    Maryland
    Good idea. If thousands of us would send a few short letters every month, we would at least remind folks that we are still here and continuing the fight post 10/1/2013.

cad68m_m

Member MSI, SAF, NRA
    Nov 26, 2011
    Calvert
    With what has been going on in Baltimore, and what I quoted from their 2014 Annual Report I couldn't resist. I was actually surprised they even replied. They are very selective in the rights they want to support.

BradyWarrior

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 13, 2014
    Maryland
    With what has been going on in Baltimore, and what I quoted from their 2014 Annual Report I couldn't resist. I was actually surprised they even replied. They are very selective in the rights they want to support.

What you said though is true. Let's say you're a law abiding lower income person living in Baltimore, you have to find a class for $75-$160, then pay $55 for prints, $50 hql fee, $25 handgun rental, $20 ammo, opportunity cost for a 1/2 day of wages, transportation which could be a pita if the hql class doesn't offer the live scan on site. And all of that before you can even buy the Hi-Point for another $175 otd.

So yeah, I'd say the law disproportionately impacts the working poor.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    What you said though is true. Let's say you're a law abiding lower income person living in Baltimore, you have to find a class for $75-$160, then pay $55 for prints, $50 hql fee, $25 handgun rental, $20 ammo, opportunity cost for a 1/2 day of wages, transportation which could be a pita if the hql class doesn't offer the live scan on site. And all of that before you can even buy the Hi-Point for another $175 otd.

And this point was made to the General Assembly. I think Jill Carter, a Baltimore rep, made that point in the Judiciary Committee. I could be wrong.

Anyway, the hope is that over year and years of people buying fewer handguns, the criminals will have fewer and fewer to use. Kind of like there will be fewer and fewer drugs on the street after they have been illegal for decades and decades. Granted, nobody knows how to manufacture guns, and a person with criminal intent surely would not dare manufacturer a gun without an FFL. Then again, it is not illegal to manufacture a gun for one's own personal use.

My head hurts. Time to get back to work.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I seem to remember the ACLU having issues with the NRA or am I delusional?

The ACLU was the plaintiff in Smith vs. Minnehaha county which eventually allowed permanent residents in south dakota to regain the ability to obtain concealed weapons licenses.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I seem to remember the ACLU having issues with the NRA or am I delusional?

Generally true, for the national ACLU, but over the years I've seen state ACLU be on the right side of a few issues even firearms related. The suggestion to reach out to the Maryland ACLU is a good exploratory idea.

The ACLU was the plaintiff in Smith vs. Minnehaha county which eventually allowed permanent residents in south dakota to regain the ability to obtain concealed weapons licenses.

A good example of what I am talking about.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    I would call out ACLU and any government agencies will not take on civil liberties.
    They would rather deflect the issue what we may call 'punt'.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    From Letter:
    Our legal staff is quite small, and most of the cases we accept
    must be handled by lawyers in private practice who donate their time without charge. As a
    result, we can offer legal assistance in only a small number of cases each year.

So if some wealthy organization or individual donated money to them, earmarked to help the poor to realize their 2nd Amendment Rights, they would go forth with enthusiasm? :innocent0

It would be an interesting thing to see.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

That was great! A referral to the NRA by the ACLU. The irony doesn't get any better.

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    ACLU POSITION:

"Given the reference to "a well regulated Militia" and "the security of a free State," the ACLU has long taken the position that the Second Amendment protects a collective right rather than an individual right. For seven decades, the Supreme Court's 1939 decision in United States v. Miller was widely understood to have endorsed that view. This position is currently under review and is being updated by the ACLU National Board in light of the U.S. Supreme Court decision in D.C. v. Heller in 2008...

The ACLU disagrees with the Supreme Court's conclusion about the nature of the right protected by the Second Amendment. "

So in other words, why does an individual need a gun! Sound familiar? AG Frosh famous quote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMVa-zxN3eE

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013

OTOH, you can get a nice used shotty for less than $300 bucks, all in. For many, it's the HD tool of choice.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    ACLU POSITION:

"Given the reference to "a well regulated Militia" and "the security of a free State," the ACLU has long taken the position that the Second Amendment protects a collective right rather than an individual right. For seven decades, the Supreme Court's 1939 decision in United States v. Miller was widely understood to have endorsed that view. This position is currently under review and is being updated by the ACLU National Board in light of the U.S. Supreme Court decision in D.C. v. Heller in 2008...

The ACLU disagrees with the Supreme Court's conclusion about the nature of the right protected by the Second Amendment. "

So in other words, why does an individual need a gun! Sound familiar? AG Frosh famous quote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMVa-zxN3eE

Once again I ask - why do the antis accept "the people" all throughout the Bill of Rights refers to the individual citizens except this one magical instance? There is not "Bill of Rights" for the government at any level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom