• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    I apologize because I'm sure if I kept digging, I could probably find the answer to this question. My son-in-law lives in Annapolis and has a Russian SKS with the NON-detachable ten round magazine that he owned out in in Oregon 10 years ago. He is ready to return to Annapolis tomorrow and bring his SKS with him.

1) Is he allowed to own that SKS in Maryland?
    2) If the answer is "yes", does he need to do anything to register that particular firearm or can he simply bring it home and put it in his safe?

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Non detachable SKS is good to go. Detach mag is not.

He need not do anything.

IANAL

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    As said, SKS with non detach mag is fine. Just a regular long gun here. No registration or other ******** needed. Cannot put a detachable mag in it though. Those SKS's are banned.

boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    Further clarification...

Sorry...just got photos from my son-in-law. The SKS is a Norinco imported by KSI out of Pomona with the Combat Exchange stock. It looks like a fiberglass stock with a little bit of a pistol grip...a small one. No bayonet. Does any of that make any difference?

And are you saying that he doesn't even need to register it when he gets into the state...no Maryland paperwork at all?

I'm sure that is also true of his 1963 Winchester 30-30? No paperwork necessary?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Sorry...just got photos from my son-in-law. The SKS is a Norinco imported by KSI out of Pomona with the Combat Exchange stock. It looks like a fiberglass stock with a little bit of a pistol grip...a small one. No bayonet. Does any of that make any difference?

And are you saying that he doesn't even need to register it when he gets into the state...no Maryland paperwork at all?

No paperwork at all.

I'm sure that is also true of his 1963 Winchester 30-30? No paperwork necessary?

No paperwork at all.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    The SKS all comes down to the fixed magazine. The stock can be anything, but the mag has to be fixed and 10 rounds or less.
    30-30's aren't on the radar screen. No paperwork at all for either.

To show you how insane things are in in MD, a mini 14 with a folding stock is banned, a Mini 30 with a folding stock is legal.

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    The other answers are correct since the gun isn't regulated/now-banned, but even if it were I don't see why any of that matters since he lawfully possessed it before October 1, 2013.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    OK suppose I had an SKS that had a detachable mag put in it before SB281 went into effect. Would that rifle have to be put back into a 10 round un-detachable mag?

It would then be a banned firearm and you could not sell it in the state. An SKS with a detachable magazine was a regulated firearm (now banned), but without a detachable magazine was, and still is, cash and carry.

Feb 28, 2013
    The SKS all comes down to the fixed magazine. The stock can be anything, but the mag has to be fixed and 10 rounds or less.
    30-30's aren't on the radar screen. No paperwork at all for either.

To show you how insane things are in in MD, a mini 14 with a folding stock is banned, a Mini 30 with a folding stock is legal.

That's because the Mini-14 with a folding stock looks like Hannibal's machine gun on The A-Team, and certainly we all know how much more dangerous any gun is when it's been seen on TV. :rolleyes:

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    you said theat the SKS has a plastic stock with pistol grip. you should have him read up on 922R laws

since he changed the stock of it the sks it must now have about 6 US made parts to be legal under the 922R

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom