• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I don't understand this comment?

Once SBRs come off of the definition of handgun, and are no longer under the purview of the HRB, then SBRs go back to the copies requirement (AK are banned by name and thus an AK SBR will then be banned (again)), as well as the copy cat requirement (which applied anyway)

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Also an interesting question, will those SBRs that are on the list be removed, since they are no longer under the purview of the HRB? If so, then any AK SBRs on the list go automatically to the banned list (Named firearm).

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT

Right, I don't understand what that has to do with "saying goodbye to AK SBRs."

Synopsis: Altering the definition of handgun for purposes of provisions relating to the Handgun Roster Board to exclude a shotgun, a rifle, a short-barreled rifle, a short-barreled shotgun, or an antique firearm from the definition.

So an SBR or SBS does not have to be on the roster on 10/1/2015. They're still handguns for the 77r requirement and criminal law sections. I don't understand the comment.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Right, I don't understand what that has to do with "saying goodbye to AK SBRs."

So an SBR or SBS does not have to be on the roster on 10/1/2015. They're still handguns for the 77r requirement and criminal law sections. I don't understand the comment.

Criminal law is for use in a crime.

Public safety governs sale.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Criminal law is for use in a crime.

Public safety governs sale.

Except the provisions of MD law regarding the entirety of the Assault Long Gun, Assault Pistol, and Copycat bans are in Criminal Law § 4.

Still, this law does not change PS § 5-101 definition of Handgun, which is any firearm with a barrel less than 16" in length.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Should we be buying AK pistols and filing the Form 1 or purchasing an SBR'ed AK pistol before the deadline if we were ever planning on getting one?

Of course, there is always cheeking the Sig Brace :)

I'm very interested in dan's interpretation and why he would think so. I would say no, it will get easier after October 1 for Form 4 SBR/SBSs.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Except the provisions of MD law regarding the entirety of the Assault Long Gun, Assault Pistol, and Copycat bans are in Criminal Law § 4.

Still, this law does not change PS § 5-101 definition of Handgun, which is any firearm with a barrel less than 16" in length.

It will be interesting to see what MSP does with this.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Once SBRs come off of the definition of handgun, and are no longer under the purview of the HRB, then SBRs go back to the copies requirement (AK are banned by name and thus an AK SBR will then be banned (again)), as well as the copy cat requirement (which applied anyway)

It will be interesting to see what MSP does with this.

IDK what they think they can do based on it, but if you have heard anything I'm all ears. We already have to sue them on something else (outside of the 29") so I'm ready to go. MSP has full blown insane without legal basis for too long.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I'm very interested in dan's interpretation and why he would think so. I would say no, it will get easier after October 1 for Form 4 SBR/SBSs.

The prevailing thoughts and discussion in Annapolis during this bill was that since the change is in the Public Safety Article, albeit in section 5-401, that MSP will take it and apply the named ban list from 5-101 since SBRs, and SBSs will no longer be classified as handguns in 5-401. Hence back to the named ban list, and thus no more AK SBRs.

Like I said, it will be interesting to see how MSP enforces this.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'm with you, Nate. I don't see how the bill has the outcome that Dan is positing. If anything, it should be good for us, as it specifically treats SBRs and SBSs separately from rifles and shotguns... further evidence that the legislative intent was not to cover SBRs under the term "rifle".

Besides, if the MSP wanted to take the position that SBR AKs are copies of AKs, they don't need that bill to do it.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    public safety 5-401 is the handgun roster board, what this law changed. it bo longer allows srs and sbs to be handguns for the purpose of roster approvals.

public safety 5-501 deals with dealer licenses and 77r regutated transfers. it also defines a sbr or sbs as any firearm with a barrel under 16" inches.

criminal law 4-201 has a third definition of handgun that "includes short barreled rifle and shotgun". the section deals with criminal prosecution of wear and carry violations ect.

i've been reading all 3 since march. im still f#&(!"@ confused as the what the implications of this change will be. has their been any comar changes anounced yet?

edit. public safety 5-201 also deals with srbs ans sbs

Last edited:

unshat

Feb 6, 2013
    Leonardtown
    Thanks for doing all this Nate! I direct everyone I can to you guys and look forward to giving Engage more of my money to support the cause! The Form 4 on my Tirant should be coming back any day now.

Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    So, at the risk of sounding like an idiot (and being admittedly confused), does this have anything to do with being able to sbr to less than 29"? If not, where do we stand on that?

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    So, at the risk of sounding like an idiot (and being admittedly confused), does this have anything to do with being able to sbr to less than 29"? If not, where do we stand on that?

This is the question I have too. Although on the surface, I would agree with Nate and Erwos that removing "SBR and SBS" from the handgun definition is a step in the right direction.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    This is the question I have too. Although on the surface, I would agree with Nate and Erwos that removing "SBR and SBS" from the handgun definition is a step in the right direction.
    Well, it helped us for the roster. A different definition is used for other parts of MD law.

And, yes, the issue at hand is whether SBRs would be considered rifles for the purposes of the copycat tests. If EA can get relief on that, we'd get back SBRs < 29" and with FH+FS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom