• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sniper350

Oct 18, 2007
    Maryland
    Coinboy - The $10 fee is what the State Police charges him for the records check.

The Tax is something all dealers involved in transfers had better educate themselves on. Md State considers the dealer as the agent of the seller, no matter how unfair that sounds .............. and must collect sales tax on out of State purchases that come into the state to be transfered here.[handguns ] .

Many dealers fly under the State Radar ........ because their volume of handgun transfers doesn't raise a flag to the tax collectors. When the transfer volume increases, the State can come into your shop and they will tell you how much they calculate you owe them according to the number and type of weapons that were transfered. Pay them ........or they will shut you down. One class III dealer was hit for $4500 in taxes ..........that he failed to collect. That money came out of his pocket...........

Many dealers don't bother with collecting this tax ........that's good for the buyer until Maryland decides to go after the buyer for their money, which I am told they can do. I don't anything about collecting taxes after a sale has occurred. Perhaps someone can research this and report to the group.

The whole thing stinks .........but I know some dealers that collect this tax for fear of getting stuck with the tax burden unexpectedly.

JF.

mdsuave13

Zombie Survival Expert
    Nov 8, 2007
    ellicott city
    When I went to Arundel Firearms and Pawn to do a transfer on an AK-47 they wanted to charge me the $35 plus $10 for a regulated gun. Then they wanted to charge me tax on the ENTIRE cost of the gun! :sad20: I was outta there. Went to Jessup Pawn he did it for $35 FLAT! :party29:

i think i am going to have to check this place out tommorow. I haven't been there. i really hope they arent great, because that just means i will have like 2-3 other guns that i want on my list.

bulabula

Nov 27, 2007
    Millersville, MD
    A tip of the hat to MrWhiteRabbit for posting this. I've been thinking about buying an AR-15 and did a web search on Glen Burnie Gunshops this morning - this thread popped up. I had never heard of mdshooters.com before.

Other than Barts, I was unaware of these other local places. I tried to do a quick drive-by on some of them later this afternoon just to see where they were, but some are indeed hidden pretty good. I think I'll need to print this thread out with details to help me find some of them on Saturday.

I did find Scotts place though (have driven by there at least a zillion times and never saw it before...?) and spent more than a few minutes talking with them. Good people, they answered all my questions, and even put up with a few "stupid" ones. When I'm ready to buy, its a good bet that he's the fellow that will get my business.

lionfour

Aug 5, 2007
    Brooklyn, Maryland
    Bart's wanted 70 dollars more for the same handgun I got at A and D,
    they rake you over the coals for ammo also, I'll go to Dick's, or Wally world
    for now on.
    My daughter(16) liked A and D. She thought it was wild that they have all
    these weapons for sale, but you can also buy barbie doll collector's plates.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    I Select Fire has the WORST, I mean WORST customer service that I've ever seen. You can get better service from a 16 year old working a McDonalds. The young guy there is was quite rude to me through my entire transaction when I bought a firearm from him. I got the impression that I was bothering him for spending upwards of $600.00 in his establishment. I have never been so insulted, and at the same time felt so stupid that i still spent my money there. It will never happen again, and anyone looking should advoid this place. I also feel a little better that others have had the same expirence with Select Fire as well. On the other hand Arundel Fire Arms and Pawn is a very good place to go, the gentleman ( Tom, I think ) is very friendly, helpful and his FFL transfers are reasonable.

I recently, like monday night, bought a very high-end O/U from Bart's and the customer service was pretty good. No real complaints, but it depends on which employee you get. I was there on 2 preceeding occasions and asked alot of questions as I have just recently started shooting Sporting Clays (Neither Jack nor his brother were there any of the times I have been). I was overall pleased enough to buy from them and would again in their niche market, which as previously mentioned by Norton is high-end trap guns and such.

A liitle further south is Annapolis, and I must say after having been to all of the previously mentioned shops except Otto's and clydes, Hal @ the Armory has the best selection of black rifles :gun1:, class III stuff, :gun7: and pistols :gun3:that I have seen in the area. I have bought at least 3 rifles and probably 5-6 pistols in the last 2 years from him and he has handled no fewer than 10 transfers for me. He has always been fair and I would recommend him to anyone and I have sent many of my IDPA shooters there.

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    I always found Barts to be over priced.
    I can't imagine what they wanted for the FS2000

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    This is a cool thread - sorry if I'm dragging it back out after it has been inactive for so long, but I just got on the forum today and figured I'd share my experiences.

The guys in Bart's are nice - they just don't really stock what I've been looking for on the few occasions I've gone in.

Never been to Otto's.

I like the guys in A&D - they are polite, friendly, seem to know what they are talking about, and they seem like they would just as soon shoot the breeze than sell you anything - they'll bid their time until you are ready to do business.

Scott's - small shop, but a class act place.

Select Fire....my first impression of them was me getting barked at to leave my cell phone in the car, which I had already done. I had gone in to check the place out since it was the closest indoor range to my home, but every time I tried to strike up a conversation, the guys in there seemed much more intent on their own conversation and I felt like I was bugging them. I finally just left and they didn't appear to have cared that I did.

I took my guns in there once, was again greeted by them barking at me to leave my cell phone in the car (and again, it already WAS in the car) and was in general treated like I was some yokel who knew nothing about guns.

On Target on the other hand has always been very cool to do business with. The staff is friendly and polite, although there is one person in there who is a little condescending and assumes that you know less that they do. (although based on some further conversation, it would appear that I actually know more than they do) I may look like soft suburbanite desk jocky, but I grew up in SW Nebraska to a father whose life passion was shooting, reloading, casting bullets, etc. While I'd have to admit that my Dad probably forgot more than I'll ever know, I can still find my way around guns and a reloading bench.

Overall, we as a family much prefer On Target, but at some point I want to try to become a member at one of the nearby Hunting and Fishing clubs.

DorGunR

R.I.P.
    Mar 7, 2007
    Severn
    I've only bought knives at Barts but I was treated politely.

The only other gun store that I've been to in Glen Burnie is Scott's and I have no reason to go anyplace else ..........I like Scott's. :thumbsup:

Some sad news for those of you that might not know ........Scott just recently lost his wife to breast cancer.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Known Clayton Otto since high school and he is still the same honest, hard working guy. He retired from the Baltimore Sheriiff's Office and is now conducting background investigations for federal security clearances.
    He has a lot of repeat customers and LEOs because he has good prices and he stands behind his sales. His hours may suck but that's life.

Pay2Play

Jul 3, 2008
    Gambrills
    This is a cool thread - sorry if I'm dragging it back out after it has been inactive for so long, but I just got on the forum today and figured I'd share my experiences.

The guys in Bart's are nice - they just don't really stock what I've been looking for on the few occasions I've gone in.

Never been to Otto's.

I like the guys in A&D - they are polite, friendly, seem to know what they are talking about, and they seem like they would just as soon shoot the breeze than sell you anything - they'll bid their time until you are ready to do business.

Scott's - small shop, but a class act place.

Select Fire....my first impression of them was me getting barked at to leave my cell phone in the car, which I had already done. I had gone in to check the place out since it was the closest indoor range to my home, but every time I tried to strike up a conversation, the guys in there seemed much more intent on their own conversation and I felt like I was bugging them. I finally just left and they didn't appear to have cared that I did.

I took my guns in there once, was again greeted by them barking at me to leave my cell phone in the car (and again, it already WAS in the car) and was in general treated like I was some yokel who knew nothing about guns.

On Target on the other hand has always been very cool to do business with. The staff is friendly and polite, although there is one person in there who is a little condescending and assumes that you know less that they do. (although based on some further conversation, it would appear that I actually know more than they do) I may look like soft suburbanite desk jocky, but I grew up in SW Nebraska to a father whose life passion was shooting, reloading, casting bullets, etc. While I'd have to admit that my Dad probably forgot more than I'll ever know, I can still find my way around guns and a reloading bench.

Overall, we as a family much prefer On Target, but at some point I want to try to become a member at one of the nearby Hunting and Fishing clubs.

I liked those guys a lot too, but I decided to buy from Gun Connection because:
    1. I like supporting forum sponsors and...
    2. I the idea of being able to send Dan a PM at almost any day and time and talk to him.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I've only bought knives at Barts but I was treated politely.

The only other gun store that I've been to in Glen Burnie is Scott's and I have no reason to go anyplace else ..........I like Scott's. :thumbsup:

Some sad news for those of you that might not know ........Scott just recently lost his wife to breast cancer.
    I did not know that, but then again, he and I have only spoken a few times and that's not the kind of thing you share with someone who is still mostly a stranger. But I agree - Scott's is a good place with good folks working in there and they'll continue to get my business.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    RE: Scott's......you guys wouldn't know this, but the forum sent him a card following his wife's passing.

We >did< send it, didn't we Spot77? :tap:

crofrog

Nov 18, 2005
    Severna Park, MD
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say. I didn't like the people at A&D. Knowledgeable about the products. Fed me a bunch of shit about buying guns off the internet though.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    +1 on the folks in Bart's - I was in there the other night and had a really nice time getting to know them. This time around I was looking for things that they do stock, and it's nice to know that they are going to be able to take care of me so that I don't have to give any money to Bass Pro! :D

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Fed me a bunch of shit about buying guns off the internet though.
    That's because it cuts into their profit margin. Right now (unless I've missed something) they carry about the best overall selection in AA county - that they can control, but they can't control what's available online so if they can bulldog a person or two (or more) into shopping locally rather than online, it's better for them.

That's because it cuts into their profit margin. Right now (unless I've missed something) they carry about the best overall selection in AA county - that they can control, but they can't control what's available online so if they can bulldog a person or two (or more) into shopping locally rather than online, it's better for them.

Try the armory in annapolis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom