• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    The guy at the postal service also told me that most goverment agencys have a centralized pickup area that mail is delivered to and picked up later. I didn't quite understand that one, but maybe that is what the notice was for, I guess i'll just have to wait till tomorrow and see.

Called the Pikesville Post Office and was told that MSP picks up mail once a day - early morning.

If a package arrives after that pickup, the PO leaves a notice with MSP and the material is picked up the following day. Mine should have been in MSP's hands this morning; will now wait to use the certified mail tracker in the morning.

Hope this helps.

fxdunigan

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 7, 2012
    Southern MD
    I paid for an overnight, certified package sent to me and for two days they said nobody was there to receive it. On day three I visited the PO and told them we were there the whole time. Could not get my package because it was out for delivery (again).

Again, they claimed nobody was here to get the package. Called the PO and talked to the manager again. She asked if I was sure we were here. I told her we were and could prove her mail-lady never even tried to deliver because I have video that show nobody ever even came down the drive.

PO manager said she'd deliver it herself after hours. She never tried.

Finally got it day four, after hours, when the mail-lady knocked on my door and claimed I wasn't home the previous days. I asked if she wanted to review the footage from those days online - I could post it on YouTube if she wanted...

Mumbled apology. No refund of fees.

FWIW, it was raining those days.

Must be a Calvert County thing. I had the same problem with a next day UPS package. "Attempted delivery, signature required but nobody home." Was home all day and video proved nobody approached the house all day.

Plus the pacakge didn't even require a signature. UPS said it couldn't have been one of their company drivers and must have been a subcontracted driver.

Knuckle66

One of the 365
    Mar 11, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Hindsight is always 20/20

No one assumes the USPS cannot even do the most basic assignment.

seems they can't

I know right, but it is run by the government. lol I'm going to use FedEx. I'm going to try to do my live scan tomorrow actually. I was going to wait until Friday but I still need my photos done, and I have to get my aunt to notarize the documents. I'd like to spend Friday running down loose ends and then try to get it in the mail for a Monday delivery. That's the plan anyway.

On a side note, I can't believe I never found this site before, I was using http://forum.pafoa.org/ for all my informational needs. I'm so glad I did though, the information that's in here is so good.

drblast33

[This Space for Sale ...]
    Plus the pacakge didn't even require a signature. UPS said it couldn't have been one of their company drivers and must have been a subcontracted driver.
    a lil off subject, but..
    I just learned that there is USPS mail carriers that are contractors also. I was wondering why the guy who picks up and drops off my mail wears regular jean shorts and a random tee shirt everyday...

fxdunigan

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 7, 2012
    Southern MD
    Fixed - had too many PDF windows open when I copied the link...oops...:o

The dates are the same on both documents, even though Page 7 (where the date is referenced) actually has changed information on the other link - http://www.msp.maryland.gov/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=T2BCWfpkYTg=&tabid=429&mid=1072.

Interesting. I'm not sure where this link is on the MDSP website because all the links I found still reference the old document.

Other than the obvious changes to page 7, here's how you can tell when the documents were created, even though they did not change the form date...

...right click the PDF and choose "Document Properties" then click on the description tab.

The old application was created 3/2/2010:

The updated application was created 3/29/11:

Thanks for the link to this updated form. What page on the MDSP website did you find it?

Attachments

• new-app.png
      new-app.png
      14.6 KB · Views: 272
    • old-app.png
      old-app.png
      15.1 KB · Views: 268
    Last edited:

spiffy

Oct 31, 2009
    does the "72 hour" rule include the weekends? I have an appt Friday morning to do the live scan, and would mail it Friday afternoon...wondering if i should reschedule my appt to Monday...

did every just fold the app up and mail it registered mail in a regular envelope?

fxdunigan

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 7, 2012
    Southern MD
    I asked this in another thread but how are you contacted about the results of your background check ?

The coding for the Livescan tells the DPSCS to release your background check results to the MDSP, specifically for the purpose of a handgun permit.

Your Livescan receipt gives the MDSP the details they need to obtain the results. But the FBI and DPSCS results are only part of the background investigation which the MDSP says takes 90 days. It is described in the application processing section here: http://www.mdsp.org/Organization/SupportServicesBureau/LicensingDivision/HandgunPermit.aspx

This is consistent with the earlier post in this thread where someone described being contacted by the MDSP to schedule a personal interview, during which time he was asked to get his personal references on the phone.

But since there seems to be a hold on processing any applications I'm not expecting to hear anything soon.

If you're really curious about the Livescan part, the Background Check page on the DPSCS website does say they have a customer service call center and representatives can check the status of a current background history request, but the Call Center cannot disclose an individual's criminal history.

Details here: http://www.dpscs.state.md.us/publicservs/bgchecks.shtml

I don't know if there is much they will tell you, or if the results will have much influence on the MDSPs final decision.

Update:
    I had my Live Scan done last Wednesday.
    Today in the USPS I receied a letter from the DPSCS dated yesterday stating:

"Your request for a criminal history record check of Maryland's Criminal Just Informatoin System has been completed. This record check was based upon the identification information as follows:"
    [my info followed]

"- No criminial history was found under the Maryland statute or regulation authorizing you to receive the information."
    "- A fingerprint supported national crime history record check has been initiated. The results of that investigation will be sent to the requesting agency only."

Last edited:

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    does the "72 hour" rule include the weekends? I have an appt Friday morning to do the live scan, and would mail it Friday afternoon...wondering if i should reschedule my appt to Monday...

did every just fold the app up and mail it registered mail in a regular envelope?
    I used a flat sized envelope. It only has to be postmarked within 72 hours.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Well now the USPS web site says they could not deliver because no one was available so a notice was left.

What a scam.

Thats weird, mine showed like 9:30 notice left, then I went into panic mode, made phone calls, left for awhile and when I checked this afternoon it said it had been delivered at 10:30

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Well now the USPS web site says they could not deliver because no one was available so a notice was left.

What a scam.

I'm getting this same "notice". F'd myself by putting delivery confirmation on it. If I had simply sent it REGULAR first class or Priority it would be sitting there right now.

I'm afraid now I lost 2 full days over this delivery confirmation...... :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom