Hornady 208gr. Amax in a .308 for long range?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    You could certainly try them in your rifle to see what they'll do. As long as some factory throats are, you may find that you can drive them fast enough to see any help.

If you're trying to get a working load together in time to load some for the 25th, you may want to stick with the very well proven combo of Varget & 175s just to make it easy on yourself.

I'll definitely hang on to them to experiment with later, but I'm going to start with the 175's and shoot those for while.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Ok so if u have your barrel designed to use longer than Saami spec chambers and to run higher pressure and fatser rounds than a spec .308, at what point is it not a .308?

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Good question Russ, and I guess at some point may be addressed by the rules.

One side is that the people competing with these heavy bullet .308s are trying to stay in the "F/TR" class with their "Tactical Rifle", but don't want traditional .308 limitations imposed on their rifle performance. If it has to be single-loaded and requires special ammunition, at that level of modification we do seem to depart from the intention of the rules.

The other side is that F/TR calls for a .308 and as long as the cartridge case is not modified, it's quite clearly still a .308 and thus qualifies.

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    Thank you. My barrel is already threaded, and I was looking for a reason to get a suppressor. :thumbsup:

I did invest in a whole box of those 208's... I'd hate to see them go to waste :innocent0.

I have a box of 175's. I will trade you for the 208's. I want to work up a load with them in the .06.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Will the twist rate stabilize these long bullets at sub-sonic velocities?

Some do, some don't. I've shot .308's with 1-12 twist that stabilized 208's at subsonic velocities, and i've shot 1-10 .308's that didn't stabilize the same bullet at the same velocities.

which is prezactly why it's so ding-dang-dong important to go shoot 'em without the can first. ;)

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Good question Russ, and I guess at some point may be addressed by the rules.

One side is that the people competing with these heavy bullet .308s are trying to stay in the "F/TR" class with their "Tactical Rifle", but don't want traditional .308 limitations imposed on their rifle performance. If it has to be single-loaded and requires special ammunition, at that level of modification we do seem to depart from the intention of the rules.

The other side is that F/TR calls for a .308 and as long as the cartridge case is not modified, it's quite clearly still a .308 and thus qualifies.

Does the TR stand for "tactical rifle" or "target rifle"? I've seen it referred to both. I always assumed it stood for "tactical", because of the .308/.223 requirements.

Last edited:

MDCXD

Nov 27, 2008
    Mt. Airy
    Does the TR stand for "tactical rifle" or "target rifle"? I've seen it referred to both. I always assumed it stood for "tactical", because of the .308/.223 requirements.

I'm quite sure it is Target Rifle. Because F/class is not a tactical event.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    I assumed TR was for tactical, being you have to have 223 or 308 and the gun has a lighter weight limit from what I have heard. I have never shot it, so just going on what I have heard. BenL, if you want those 208gr bullets to not go to waste just send them to me and I will shoot them in my 300 whisper when I get it done ;)

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I assumed TR was for tactical, being you have to have 223 or 308 and the gun has a lighter weight limit from what I have heard. I have never shot it, so just going on what I have heard. BenL, if you want those 208gr bullets to not go to waste just send them to me and I will shoot them in my 300 whisper when I get it done ;)

Thanks, but I think I'm going to hang on the them. Possibly for the same reason.

:)

MDCXD

Nov 27, 2008
    Mt. Airy
    I should probably clarifiy for the new guys on the boards, that I am just giving K Train a hard time. We shoot together alot.

For the record F/TR is Target Rifle. According to the NRA rules.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom