• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Does anyone wear snake protection while turkey hunting?I found a diamond back in Green Ridge a few years ago.My bud found a copperhead along Town Creek last year.We are thinking that we should be using some kind of snake proof gear when we are walking around up there.:cool:

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    You may have found a Timber Rattlesnake in Green Ridge, I've seen several there, but Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnakes are from the southern states and you won't find one north of southern NC.

Regardless, a Timber is still very dangerous, as are Copperheads, and both are indigenous to the area.

At least wear heavy boots, both for ankle and snake protection, but boots only cover so much and your biggest safety measure will be to always watch carefully where you place your body parts.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Timber Rattler's are easier to spot, but not the copperhead. I searched for photos of how they blend in and found only two, every other photo was close up and didn't do justice to how well they conceal in leaves.

You need to watch for the shape and you need to think sticks are snakes, rather then the other way around. Rattler's sometimes give you a warning, but copperheads don't have a rattle.

Both are shorter than the harmless snakes, with timber being longer than the copperhead. Hunt with a friend for safety.

Attachments

• SouthernCopperhead02.jpg
      SouthernCopperhead02.jpg
      75.7 KB · Views: 675
    • 3487540592_376828dc15_z.jpg
      3487540592_376828dc15_z.jpg
      87.6 KB · Views: 574

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Timber Rattler's are easier to spot, but not the copperhead. I searched for photos of how they blend in and found only two, every other photo was close up and didn't do justice to how well they conceal in leaves.

You need to watch for the shape and you need to think sticks are snakes, rather then the other way around. Rattler's sometimes give you a warning, but copperheads don't have a rattle.

Both are shorter than the harmless snakes, with timber being longer than the copperhead. Hunt with a friend for safety.

Well...now I know who will be staring in tonight's nightmares...why'd it have to be snakes...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    All the rattle snakes I've seen in Md have been green in color. I'm assuming they were timbers. If not, what were they?

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    I've worn snake proof boots in the woods for years, mainly because I have an irrational fear of snakes.

I used to wear Gokey or Chippewa snake-proof boots, but found that Rocky boots makes snake boots that are much less expensive and actually more comfortable.

Of course if you are Turkey hunting and plop down against a tree, you just need to be aware of your surroundings and hope a snake does not slither up next to you.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Guess I dont know snakes like I thought I did lol.It was a timber rattler after all.We walk into the woods before daylight so seeing either one would be impossible and if going after a gobbling tom it would be nice to just focus on the turkey and not every step you are taking.

jaybee

Ultimate Member

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Guess I dont know snakes like I thought I did lol.It was a timber rattler after all.We walk into the woods before daylight so seeing either one would be impossible and if going after a gobbling tom it would be nice to just focus on the turkey and not every step you are taking.

You probably aren't using a flashlight. I don't know how to advise you on walking in the dark. poisonous snakes are pit vipers and hunt by heat in day and night when they are hungry, not when the morning alarm goes off.

Last edited:

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    The good news is that during turkey season, nights are usually still cool enough to drive them to cover and slow them down a little.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Im not sure how warm it needs to be for them to be active,but towards the end of the season some mornings were fairly warm.I usually use a hat with a light built in...hands free that way,but the light is only bright enough to navigate, not bright enough to see snakes.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    ...and so his turkey hunting days were seemingly over before they'd actually begun." -The End

I'm out. I'll be the one moron that sits right down on top of one of those things & gets his butt bit & dies right there.

ar450

Feb 6, 2013
    Garrett County
    Anybody heard that pa was air dropping Texas rattlers out of helicopters in burlap sacks? Reliable source said supposed to be around 300. 30 was found in the Mt. Davis area. 7-8 foot long and 6-8" in diameter.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Anybody heard that pa was air dropping Texas rattlers out of helicopters in burlap sacks? Reliable source said supposed to be around 300. 30 was found in the Mt. Davis area. 7-8 foot long and 6-8" in diameter.

Yes, coyote's too, we have a terrible roadrunner problem up here:D

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    Irrational fear of snakes?? Try living and hunting in FL for 15 yrs.... Neighbor and I set up one morning in what turned out to be a nest of rattlers.... multiple shotgun blasts later we decided to go home.... good hog hunting attractors though

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom