• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Had the itch to possibly convert my 96D over to 357Sig since I still have ammo and such.

Turns out Beretta doesn't recommend it. Can lead to premature (and catastrophic) failure of multiple components. Well damn.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I don't know how a .357 Sig doesn't lead to premature failure on everything. It's a snappy round for sure.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I don't know how a .357 Sig doesn't lead to premature failure on everything. It's a snappy round for sure.

It's all in the timing of the action, and apparently the Beretta's timing doesn't do well with that particular round.

Kind of a pity, the 96 tames the 40 really well, and I'd imagine if the timing issue could be resolved it'd tame the 357Sig as well.

Although 357Sig doesn't really bother me, even in the 4.25" M&P - wish I still had that one now.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    It's controllable when you have man hands like Brad and I

I've only shot one once and it was out of a compact Glock. That was probably about 10 years ago but I still remember my reaction. Good on you guys that feel confident in keeping that little beast on target. I'll keep shooting my little girl pistols thank you. :)

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I've only shot one once and it was out of a compact Glock. That was probably about 10 years ago but I still remember my reaction. Good on you guys that feel confident in keeping that little beast on target. I'll keep shooting my little girl pistols thank you. :)

The G33 is terrible for a "fun" range gun. It definitely ranks up there with say an LCR in .357 magnum. A semi auto belly gun fo sho.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Well, the problem with a Beretta in Sig .357 is the Beretta. :)

This is true, being Italian - it may decide to switch sides on me halfway thru a magazine. :innocent0

Since I refuse to get a HQL, thought maybe a caliber swap was possible instead.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    It's controllable when you have man hands like Brad and I

THE-RAP-BATTLE.gif

I managed a .357 Sig pretty decently at 13 years old. I want my next handgun in that caliber.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Someone did sell barrels for a while to do the conversion.

Getting the barrel isn't an issue, Bar-Sto discontinued them (IIRC), but there are 1 or 2 other makers that still offer them.

Seems the issue is the higher slide speed when using 357 Sig, and the accelerated wear on components.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I wouldn't. We had a few cracking problems with 96's even when using .40.

.357 Sig is a snappy round. Before I retired I had a meeting with a certain alphabet agency's firearms instructors comparing our high volume Sig 229's in .40 to their 229's in .357S. Because the Sig round kept cracking slides.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Yeah, it's looking less and less like a realistic option. I'll embrace my shame and leave it as my only .40S&W handgun in inventory. :)

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I wouldn't. We had a few cracking problems with 96's even when using .40.

.357 Sig is a snappy round. Before I retired I had a meeting with a certain alphabet agency's firearms instructors comparing our high volume Sig 229's in .40 to their 229's in .357S. Because the Sig round kept cracking slides.

We never had slide problems, but frames cracking on certain production runs.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    i agree with blaster. the beretta is the issue. my glocks don't care. He is right about the 33 being a good way to pi$$ off other shooters, though. I load with blue dot powder. guaranteed to repel anyone close by. friend of mine has a 229 (issue gun, not his personal) with over 20k rounds of duty ammo through it. hasn't cracked yet. not saying it never will, but sig and glock both make factory guns in the caliber. You can make a gun that will handle just about anything-look at the guys running 9x25mm dillon in their raceguns. THAT is a snappy, loud, and awesome round.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    i agree with blaster. the beretta is the issue. my glocks don't care. He is right about the 33 being a good way to pi$$ off other shooters, though. I load with blue dot powder. guaranteed to repel anyone close by. friend of mine has a 229 (issue gun, not his personal) with over 20k rounds of duty ammo through it. hasn't cracked yet. not saying it never will, but sig and glock both make factory guns in the caliber. You can make a gun that will handle just about anything-look at the guys running 9x25mm dillon in their raceguns. THAT is a snappy, loud, and awesome round.

If his issue 229 serial number starts with AM, it will crack, or should. The more robust frame production I know of is the AL production which is before 2005.

I lucked out on a purchase last week of a 229 AL serial number.
    This pistol will never leave my possession.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I qualified Sharpshooter in SSP in only my second IDPA event ever in 2011 shooting an HK USP-Compact in .357Sig. That thing almost qualifies as a BUG gun except it won't fit in the box. Only fits the CCP box if you leave off the ambi safety. I used to have a Sig P229 Sport model in .357Sig also. That is the one with the factory comp on the end of the barrel. Also the front sight was on the comp instead of the slide to give it a longer sight radius. Ended up mounting a slide-ride Pride-Fowler Spec Ops red dot on it to shoot Open division. Had to return it twice to get it repaired from the punishment and they fixed it free both times. Finally bit the bullet and had an STI built and sold the P229S.

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    If his issue 229 serial number starts with AM, it will crack, or should. The more robust frame production I know of is the AL production which is before 2005.

I lucked out on a purchase last week of a 229 AL serial number.
    This pistol will never leave my possession.

Blaster, I recently got one with an AH serial number (made in Germany) do you know of any problems converting this one to 357 sig?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Blaster, I recently got one with an AH serial number (made in Germany) do you know of any problems converting this one to 357 sig?

AH may be 2007.
    You'll be fine. Many of our pistols see many tens of thousands of rounds, if not hundreds in a short time. Hell, truth be known, many have probably been fired thousands of rounds with the fractures. They were very small.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom