What are the beginner classes in each organization?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Seems like an endless number of organizations, classes and rules. I know there are hundreds of MDShooters involved in some kind of organized competitive shooting in the various disiplines that have been shooting for quite a while and "know all the ropes"

Whare are the beginner classes in each?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Lots of very experienced shooters participate in USPSA Production, Steel Challenge Production and IDPA Stock Service Pistol divisions, but these are the easiest and cheapest entry into competitive shooting. Basically a Glock 17 or comparable, holster and a few mags and mag pouches and you are good to go.

Same concept with 2 and 3 gun.

The divisions are really based on how stock vs exotic your equipment is, versus how new or experienced you are. The rules regarding safety and shooting the courses of fire are identical for each game regardless of new vs experienced or stock vs exotic.

Most folks can just sign up for a match and compete without any issues. If one is a little unsure, just come out and watch one or two first, and/or look for youtube videos.

The vast majority of shooters will welcome newbies and go out of their way to get them started. Show up and ask questions.

The big safety rules are finger clearly outside the trigger guard if not actually shooting (so while reloading or running between target arrays) and the muzzle has to be generally pointed downrange at all times (including while reloading). But the 4 rules of course apply.

Vs shooting at a static range, this gives you a lot of action time with your firearms, testing you and your guns, which certainly doesn't hurt if a need for SD or HD arises.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    ^^^ this^^^
    Not all clubs require "orientation/prequalfication" class. If you are interested on joining the fun.. Just ask to shadow somebody. There are plenty MDS member that will be willing to help ya out.

:)

IgotAgun

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 20, 2015
    Ann Arundel Fish and Game has a free IDPA class once a month. Honestly though, what ever you choose, let the SO know its your first time, and go super slow. No one will care how slow you go and everyone is helpful.

The first few competitions are more about familiarizing yourself with the rules than trying to win.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    With most competitive shooting, you're really shooting against yourself. Unless you are the super-competitive type, in which you are trying to get better than others in your division.

If you're looking for actual classes, Peacemaker has several throughout the year on competition shooting for the different competitions that they hold. Check their calendar for what you're looking for. http://peacemakernational.com/events?l=calendar

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    Most peoples' trepidation is greater than the energy required to get started. The others posting above have it exactly right.

Last July I went and watched a few stages of the July 4th match at Thurmont (TCSC - http://www.tcandsc.org/tcscIDPAMatches.htm) and was shooting with them in August.

TCSC has an IDPA skills class they put on 3 or 4 times a year that lasts 6 hours or so, and covers a LOT. From drawing from a holster, cover, moving while firing, reloads, and IDPA-specific rules. By the time you finish the class you're MUCH more confident in your abilities, your firearm, and you know what it should feel like to move around, cover, etc. while you're shooting a match.

But whether it's TCSC (5 miles north of Frederick), AAFG, (Annapolis), or PEacemaker in WV, about an hour or so west of Frederick, or a club in Southern MD, go watch, and if you're like most people, you'll maybe even be wishing you'd brought your gear and eager for the next match to come around.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Lots of very experienced shooters participate in USPSA Production, Steel Challenge Production and IDPA Stock Service Pistol divisions, but these are the easiest and cheapest entry into competitive shooting. Basically a Glock 17 or comparable, holster and a few mags and mag pouches and you are good to go.

Same concept with 2 and 3 gun.

The divisions are really based on how stock vs exotic your equipment is, versus how new or experienced you are.

Thanks, this is the kind of answer I am looking for.

If shooters in other organizations would chime in, I would appreciate it.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Thanks, this is the kind of answer I am looking for.

If shooters in other organizations would chime in, I would appreciate it.
    I have shot most everything with a pistol, including bullseye, USPSA, Steel Challenge, IDPA, 3-gun, Ruger Rimfire, and NSSF Rimfire to name most. All organizations use a combo of the NRA safety and USPSA action safety rules. Most of the variation comes from their actual shooting discipline differences. Many organizations evolved out of another shooting organization when some members wanted to do it slightly different. The safety rules remain 99% the same, only what you are allowed to do and how you are allowed to do it changed. Plus there are a lot of clubs that have their own type or flavor of events outside the mainstream, like say the PSA Shootout and the big "outlaw" 3-gun events, and down to the clubs that have their own events like the steel matches at Monocacy Pistol Club. That is how I started. I shot at MPC for a few years, then got more serious and started shooting a lot of the other disciplines, starting with IDPA and USPSA at Thurmont, then Steel Challenge at York, then 3-gun at Peacemaker.
    First big match I ever shot was the 2009 PSA Shootout. Then in 2010 the PA State Steel Challenge at York, and in 2011 my first Ruger Rimfire World Championship in New Mexico. And just so you know, in 2009 I was 62 years old. Best idea is find a mentor who shoots what you want to try and learn as much as you can from them. That is what I did and my mentor was 1/3 my age. A mentor can channel your training and practice and can keep you from trying something like equipment they already know is not the way to go. First off shoot whatever you already have, then if you decide you like it look to see what equipment the experienced shooters are using. Don't be afraid to ask questions, because the only bad question is the one that is not asked. Most people tend to like to see an event before actually shooting one. But most will tell you just bring some gear and shoot.
    Once you find out if you like it you need to think about what kind of practice will improve your skills. Undirected practice is just throwing lead down range. There are plenty of things you can practice that do not involve actual shooting. Like drawing, changing magazines, or specific exercises. There are general shooting drills that will have positive effects across several shooting disciplines. Once you find out whether you like doing it the world of shooting will open up wide for you.
    Just so you know I came to shooting from the world of motorsports where I was a racecar driver for well over 2 decades.

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    I have shot most everything with a pistol, including bullseye, USPSA, Steel Challenge, IDPA, 3-gun, Ruger Rimfire, and NSSF Rimfire to name most. All organizations use a combo of the NRA safety and USPSA action safety rules. Most of the variation comes from their actual shooting discipline differences. Many organizations evolved out of another shooting organization when some members wanted to do it slightly different. The safety rules remain 99% the same, only what you are allowed to do and how you are allowed to do it changed. Plus there are a lot of clubs that have their own type or flavor of events outside the mainstream, like say the PSA Shootout and the big "outlaw" 3-gun events, and down to the clubs that have their own events like the steel matches at Monocacy Pistol Club. That is how I started. I shot at MPC for a few years, then got more serious and started shooting a lot of the other disciplines, starting with IDPA and USPSA at Thurmont, then Steel Challenge at York, then 3-gun at Peacemaker.

First big match I ever shot was the 2009 PSA Shootout. Then in 2010 the PA State Steel Challenge at York, and in 2011 my first Ruger Rimfire World Championship in New Mexico. And just so you know, in 2009 I was 62 years old. Best idea is find a mentor who shoots what you want to try and learn as much as you can from them. That is what I did and my mentor was 1/3 my age. A mentor can channel your training and practice and can keep you from trying something like equipment they already know is not the way to go. First off shoot whatever you already have, then if you decide you like it look to see what equipment the experienced shooters are using. Don't be afraid to ask questions, because the only bad question is the one that is not asked. Most people tend to like to see an event before actually shooting one. But most will tell you just bring some gear and shoot.

Once you find out if you like it you need to think about what kind of practice will improve your skills. Undirected practice is just throwing lead down range. There are plenty of things you can practice that do not involve actual shooting. Like drawing, changing magazines, or specific exercises. There are general shooting drills that will have positive effects across several shooting disciplines. Once you find out whether you like doing it the world of shooting will open up wide for you.

I've shot many matches with this man and my friend Davsco. Everything they are saying is spot on. All you need is the right attitude. No matter how experienced you are, and no matter how much gear you have you will always want more and none of it will make you a better shooter. :) All you really need is a legit holster and pistol pouch.

Just find a discipline you think you will like and sign up for a match. We love Peacemaker as they offer a different style of match each weekend. This weekend they are offering Steel Challenge and USPSA.

Steel Challenge is a great way to get your feet wet because there is very little movement and you get multiple tries at each stage. Come shoot it this weekend?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    yeah and bring an extra 3-4 boxes of ammo as once you shoot steel challenge in am, you'll want to run around and shoot uspsa in the afternoon...

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Just remember once you get a taste it will be addicting. Even when you are not good you will see what you need to improve on and you will not be able to wait till the next time you compete. I shoot up to 5 or 6 matches per month but near the end of the month when things get slow I get restless because I can't find a match anywhere to shoot. Only thing that helps is going out and burning 500 rounds of practice.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    another game to play is the glock matches (if one has a glock of course). similar to steel challenge, no movement involved, but they have a mix of steel and cardboard targets. again a box stock glock 17 or thereabouts is all you need. i recall there being an indoor one in MD somewhere last year, the ones i have done were in NC and GA.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    another game to play is the glock matches (if one has a glock of course). similar to steel challenge, no movement involved, but they have a mix of steel and cardboard targets. again a box stock glock 17 or thereabouts is all you need. i recall there being an indoor one in MD somewhere last year, the ones i have done were in NC and GA.
    Search for GSSF, I think it's Glock Shooting Sports Foundation. It costs about $35 for an annual membership.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    My club (Garrison Rifle and Revolver) conducts a weekly Tuesday night pistol Bullseye league at the AGC that is great for beginners, and is open to the public. We are also are active in High Power and Trap. I got started in competitive shooting because of the Tuesday night league. I learned a lot there and there are several distinguished pistol shooters and high power shooters in my club that are very helpful in mentoring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom