• DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    I was pretty excited about this. And then I saw the pmag 5 AC. :eek:

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Not sure what you guys are so excited about. CDNN sells Glock factory mags for $19.99. They also run free shipping specials now and then. Used Glock mags can be had for $15. The PMAGS are interesting, but need to be closer to $10 each to get me interested. Price eventually should fall below MSRP though...

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Not sure what you guys are so excited about. CDNN sells Glock factory mags for $19.99. They also run free shipping specials now and then. Used Glock mags can be had for $15. The PMAGS are interesting, but need to be closer to $10 each to get me interested. Price eventually should fall below MSRP though...

Umm, I can't buy mags from CDNN. I live in MD. They cannot ship mags to MD. So I have to buy them out of state at stores and shows, where they are never that cheap.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    That makes sense. I have family in VA and am there often so I always forget about that.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    This is great. You know how many times i've searched for glock pmags, forgotten they dont exist, then searched again?

Many

Just seems like a natural progression.

Does anyone know what the new polymer they are making the dyeable magazines out of is?

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Would you consider these for long term use as "combat" magazines? Or just range magazines? I haven't followed polymer only magazines since Tapco, but at that time they weren't considered acceptable "combat" magazines. Although I guess PMAGS are considered to be top quality combat magazines, so maybe the general consensus has changed?

here is the thing:

media reinforced polyamides (nylon 6-6 series) is an EXTREMELY tough material that forms crazy long polymer strands.

Depending on what media it is reinforced with it blows polycarbonate away, whereas polycarbonate does not stick well to reinforcing media, so it's generally not a good candidate for reinforcement.

What does that mean in eglish? It is almost impossible to break nylon that has been reinforced with carbon fiber or glass fiber unless it is very very very cold, and even then it will outperform aluminum.

The only time I think that metal reinforcements are necessary is in front and rear AK locking lugs due to the leverage that is exerted on those points by the magazine's design. Luckily, as a 'sticky' polymer it bonds to and around the metal lugs just as it bonds to the media reinforcing it's polymer string axis.

Depending on what and how much filler you use you will have more or less flex in the material, this is also a function of thickness. Some flex is expected and indeed encouraged, as this is what allows the material to work such magic in it's performance. It can give enough to make tolerances a little more wiggle room friendly, and that give is part of what makes the material nearly indestructible.

The only time you will need metal liner on a feed lip is if the polymer is either not formulated stiff enough, or not thick enough, to stand up to the pressure of rounds pressing against it without flexing. Also, the hotter the material, the more flex there will be.

This has been a non issue even at extremely high temperatures in pmags, partially due to the fact that since polyamides are thermoset rather than thermoplastic polymers, they tend to reach maximum flex at relatively low temperatures, same with tapco and other GRN mags.

My drawn out point was this: You don't need metal feed lips in a glock mag unless you are running ammo with case necks like razor blades that are going to tear up your mags. Even then, depending on the reinforcing material you can have extremely good resistance to scratching and wear

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    oh, watch out for thermold mags for this same reason, they are a thermoplastic polymer and get very very soft when warm. Also, they seem to spit out rounds at random.

This has not been my experience with Tapco

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    How's 'bout deez mags?
    http://www.etsgroup.us/ETS-Group-Glock-Magazines-s/1823.htm

tn_With%20Ammo%202.jpg

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I've been watching Cabela's website but they don't seem to be carrying them yet. I'm ready to take a trip up to DE as soon as they do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom