• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paxfish

Ultimate Member
    Nov 11, 2008
    Culvert & Points West
    Hi Gang - We had a thread a bit ago on Xtreme bullets and folks were asking about their quality.

http://www.xtremebullets.com/category-s/48076.htm

I just received a box of 500. They look to be nicely made. Notice they are quite a bit shorter than the BlitzKing.

88qk.jpg

I know the real proof will be when I get see their performance on target, but in the interim, I decided to do some sampling by weight. I pulled 30 at random and carefully weighed them on a balance. I also pulled 30 of the most-excellent Sierra Blitzkings and weighed those.

The results? Not bad at all. Since the bullets are less than half the price of the SBK, I'd like to be able to use them for most of my needs. Right now my match reloads cost about 33 cents - I think these will come in around 21 cents and may provide similar accuracy.

Xtreme Bullets -
    Average Weight: 55.036
    Standard deviation: 0.0507
    Extreme spread: .2 grains

Sierra BlitzKing
    Average Weight:55.01833333
    Standard Deviation: 0.0499
    Extreme Spread .2 grains

When I get a chance to compare them side by side on target, I will update this thread. Hope you find this information useful...

Data
    Xtreme (17) 55.00gr. (6) 55.05 gr (6) 55.10gr (1) 55.20gr.
    Sierra (1) 54.90gr (3) 54.95gr (15) 55.00gr (6) 55.05gr (5) 55.10gr

*note - based on the data, I'd say there is some quality process at Xtreme that drops anything less than 55.0grains.

Last edited:

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    A couple of my friends have recently started loading xtreme bullets and neither of them were very happy with the cannelure groove on them, though they stated they hadn't tested them out yet to see if there was an actual or just perceived issue (relative to a good crimp).

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Doesn't appear to be based on his data table.

0.2gr extreme variance from 55.0gr and 55.2gr

But that .2 spread is much smaller than the 1.1 listed for Sierra which doesn't seem to jive with his comment of concern.

Just curious myself. Interesting thread, looking forward to the range report.

paxfish

Ultimate Member
    Nov 11, 2008
    Culvert & Points West
    But that .2 spread is much smaller than the 1.1 listed for Sierra which doesn't seem to jive with his comment of concern.

Just curious myself. Interesting thread, looking forward to the range report.

Yes - sorry about that. My mistake.

The sierra range was 54.9 to 55.1 , also a .2 spread.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    Silverload - What was the complaint about the cannelure?

I'm curious, because I do not generally crimp (nor did I expect to on these...)

I think the issue is that there isn't much of one and they were skeptical that the crimp would get a good grip.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I'm confused about the savings. 35% from what?

A hunting bullet vs fmj?

Yes they are a good price but when compared to other fmj the price isn't spectacular.

paxfish

Ultimate Member
    Nov 11, 2008
    Culvert & Points West
    Then what was the concern about the extreme bullet's spread? Sorry, I just don't get it yet.

Yes - I made a couple of mistakes summarizing the data at first. I agree - the weight specs look pretty good.

Stu929 - Yes, the BlitzKing is an excellent hunting bullet, but I think most folks also consider it a full-on match bullet equivalent to Sierra MatchKing in performance. I know they give small groups out of my 16" carbine. SBK are pretty expensive - hence my research. The Xtreme bullets are 10 cents versus about 22 cents for SBK. That drops my cost for a reloaded cartridge by about 35%.

It sounds like you have a better low-cost bullet that you like. What might that be?

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I have had great results with Xtremebullets in .40. 9mm on the way and now maybe some .284 and .224.
    I have some HSM 9mm that I cannot get straight! ??
    They can be slow on shipping but .... great prices.
    My mailman shoots too so he doesn't mind the weight.:)

fogman

Looking at the picture, it's more like a knurl than a cannelure groove. Reminds me of the knurl on 308 brass that distinguishes match loads from combat loads.

Lee claims that their Factory Crimp dies will crimp even a non-cannelure bullet.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    They look to be nicely made. Notice they are quite a bit shorter than the BlitzKing.

I just received my 9mm from xtreme and this is the part that concerns me. With the one's you show, yours are quite a bit shorter. How are you determining your COL for these? If you use the COL for the BK, you will have very little boolit (compared to the BK) going into the case.

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    I just received my 9mm from xtreme and this is the part that concerns me. With the one's you show, yours are quite a bit shorter. How are you determining your COL for these? If you use the COL for the BK, you will have very little boolit (compared to the BK) going into the case.

With a cannelure, you seat the bullet to the cannelure. Measure then you have your COL.

paxfish

Ultimate Member
    Nov 11, 2008
    Culvert & Points West
    Figuring that it was still a 55gr boattail, I started with the same 24.7grains ARCOMP and set to my normal COL - that appears to be about the middle of the cannelure.

My powder charge is a bit soft relative to the loading charts, so I figured it was a safe starting place. I haven't had a chance to shoot them yet - the range is closed for two weeks during hunting season

paxfish

Ultimate Member
    Nov 11, 2008
    Culvert & Points West
    Need more data....

Guys - Here is one datapoint, but I would not put too much stock in it yet.

I finally got out to the range yesterday afternoon, and the wind was swirling. My rifle is normally sub MOA with the Sierra Blitzkings, but they were getting blown around a bit at 100 yards. So I elected to only shoot a few rounds.

In the pic below, there are several "warmups" at the center dot. Then the top two dot are five rounds of 5.56 with arcomp powder at 24.7 grains with 55grain Sierra BlizKing bullet.

Bottom two dots are the same load with the 55grain Xtreme.

I'll post more info when I get an opportunity to shoot more on a calm day:

k4yb.jpg

note: "SMK" as shown above should read "SBK" - I was shooting 168 grain SMKs just prior to this target and made a typo...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom