Do you let strangers shoot your guns at the range???

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DennisCA

I've posted this question on a couple of gun forums but I would like to see what what you folks have to say about this

I own most C&R guns, nothing extraordinary or rare but a nice collection (IMHO) never-the-less. Once and a while when I am at a (outdoor) range, someone (usually someone next to me) ask if can shoot one of my C&R rifles (that I am shooting or ones I have with me). In most cases I have said yes, although I'll load it for them and then give them a short instruction on the rifle before handing it to them and I'm very-very near by.
    To me it's a great way to introduce someone who doesn't own a C&R rifle or has seen a particular rifle that may out on the range that day!
    Short Story:
    On one particular trip I was shooting my Steyr M95 (A.K.A. The A * * Kicker) and there were some young guys next to me shooting .223's. On one of the breaks we were talking about the guns each of us brought. One of the guys asked if he could shoot the Steyr and of course I said yes. After one clip (5 rounds) he looked at me and said "I'm done". When he got up he was moving his right shoulder a bit (I told him prior that kicks a bit but he didn't seem to believe me - before).
    I'm assuming the recoil was a bit more than he was used to. :lol::lol2::sad20:

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Yep, do not have anything too crazy but people have asked and I have obliged. Someone did ask to shoot my 870 when sighting in the slug barrel. Do not think they enjoyed it after the first one. Has since been retired from that role but 3 inch slugs would kick.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Yes. I've shared firearms and had them shared with me. Bunch of guys were eyeballing my STG556 at Elk Neck and were real happy when I offered to let them shoot it. I was letting my girlfriend rent and try a bunch of 22s at Freestate one day and a gentleman offered his S&W 22A for her to try without me asking.

Shooting isn't just about guns; there is a social aspect too.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Yes, happily. Unless they creep me out for some reason, which is rare - but it happens.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    I'll happily let anyone shoot anything I have at the range except for class 3 stuff, just not going to take that risk.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Yepper! That's one of the biggest joys of owning them. I've often taken people whom I only know casually--and especially when they have older kids who are interested in history--to the range with me, just so they can experience firing stuff that not many people have even heard about. I'll soon be taking a road trip with one of my sons to visit my favorite brother, who I don't get to see often, and we'll be taking a small arsenal of stuff that he hasn't ever shot before. It's actually a toss-up between whether I like to shoot more, or I like to introduce someone new to shooting more.

As for strangers at the range ... if they show interest in what I'm shooting, they'll be invited to try it ... unless I'm really low on that ammo, or I've seen them acting like an idiot.

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    I have not, besides friends and family I took to the range. But if asked and I felt ok with the person then sure. Like has been said before most of us are good people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom