• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    Just heard that a gun range for LEO and FBI may possibly be in the works in Frederick. Off Thurston Road. Over 100 parking spaces and tower shooting.

Peeps around that area are not happy about it.

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    Probably not public. My in-laws attended a public hearing to change the zoning for the possible sale of the land for the firearm training center. All residents said no, that they were gun lovers, but that the range was unreasonable size in a residential/agricultural mix property area. I cant imagine over 100 parking spaces. Thats got to be one heck of a plan for a gun range.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    ****I ride my bike out on Thurston sometimes. I can't imagine something that big out there with a 100 parking spaces, etc... We know if the government decides to build it they won't care what the residents think. They don't even enforce our borders anymore, since illegal aliens are now "New Americans" and future Dem voters, whereas gun people like us are domestic terrorists hell bent on destroying the nation and vote for less government intrusion, lower taxes, property rights, etc...

Gotta use those billion bullets they have purchased over the years to keep sharp in case Tea Party people start trouble...

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Probably won't be public if its for the FBI and LEOs. Too risky. Will probably have to have gov't / LEO ID at the minimum

Leo's who aren't with their agency for organized training will not be able to use the range.
    FBI built the range for Frederick City pd, we use it often. Great set up with classrooms, SIMS house and SIMS storefront. I don't see them building another venue.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    I believe they tried to put a similar range facility in Queen Anne's a few years back. It was rejected for the same reasons. Out in the country, no infrastructure to support the size facility they were proposing.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    I believe they tried to put a similar range facility in Queen Anne's a few years back. It was rejected for the same reasons. Out in the country, no infrastructure to support the size facility they were proposing.

Correct - proposed to be in Ruthsburg but was soundly defeated.

Last edited:

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    FBI was interested years ago in buying up the CRESAP and MPC ranges (which land belongs to the city) and merging it with the Frederick Police range into one big range for FBI/LEO use. But nobody else including the city was big on it. I think the city figured they would lose rental money on the deal.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    So is this in regards to an actual Gov't owned facility , or a private entity that hopes to obtain ( many ? , exclusivly ? ) Training contracts from .gov and .mil ?

Leaving aside the black helecoptor factor for the moment , potential large shooting/ training venues seem to have a built in Catch-22 . Any place that is developed enough to have infrastructure support for hundreds of participants, will have too many nearby residents screaming about having all those evil guns nearby.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

That was the state dept. The facility out near summit point has gotten too small and I think they are eyeing up ft. Belvoir or AP hill.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    One would think there is enough room on any of the existing federal land like Fort Detrick or Fort Ritchie to make a Federal gun range.

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    The address is 2220 Thurston Rd. Its an existing open field farm. There is a public notice sign posted by the road (but conveniently placed so one would not be able to see it). It is proposed by the owner of the property to be a military style training grounds; privately owned, I believe. Probably not available to the public considering the type of range.

Anyhow, it's silly to think they would open a large scale training range directly off Thurston Rd. Can you imagine hiking sugarloaf mountain and when you are at the top, you see beauty but hear cannonball fires? I think there are many horse trails back there too.

I love guns and I like nature. I dont live near this, but if they build, I would feel really bad for the nearby residents, including my in-laws!

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Great, just great, a gun range on a facility where bio weapons are developed. One misplaced shot and it's the zombie Apocalypse.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Great, just great, a gun range on a facility where bio weapons are developed. One misplaced shot and it's the zombie Apocalypse.

I am not worried about a miss placed shot. The drinking water HAS BEEN the issue at Detrick. They have had signs on water fountains indicating if the water is safe to drink.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I am not worried about a miss placed shot. The drinking water HAS BEEN the issue at Detrick. They have had signs on water fountains indicating if the water is safe to drink.

Kind of reminds me of a place I used to work. They had signs indicating not to drink the water, provided bottled water and then some time later "fixed" the problem. We kept on buying bottled water on our own. When asked why we did that by a newcomer my boss replied, "All they did was filter out the big chunks of feces".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom