• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Wanted to share a good video using #8 Birdshot as a Home Defense round

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97sjv11yesc

The #8 birdshot easily penetrated through dry wall. But when shooting through the rib and pork shoulder, it penetrated through the meat but not through the drywall behind it. The #4 shot did penetrate the drywall.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Has anyone considered the force of the blast? Even from birdshot, how many intruders can withstand the force of being hit , that is stay on their feet, in a close, in-home environment? The goal is to stop the threat, not necessarily kill.

Once the intruder is down, there's the option to rack another round and offer it to them.

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    Has anyone considered the force of the blast? Even from birdshot, how many intruders can withstand the force of being hit , that is stay on their feet, in a close, in-home environment? The goal is to stop the threat, not necessarily kill.

Once the intruder is down, there's the option to rack another round and offer it to them.

Mythbusters did some tests with this. As I remember point blank 00 buck didn't move the dummy wearing body armor. I doubt birdshot is going to effect the momentum of a 200lb man. I'll see if I can find the video.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Birdshot can hit as essentially a single fragmenting projectile at really close range(within about 6'), plenty of reports where the shot column penetrated sufficiently and stopped an attacker. Problem is with any barrier the shot is dispersed, and the more dispersion the smaller the column is, and the more it acts like a lot of individual pellets that flat out can't penetrate sufficiently. There is a reason manufacturers don't test against roasts, they lack skin, which is incredibly tough, and can equal up to 4" of gel in resistance to penetration. The moisture content and muscle density is far less, what makes prepared meat tender makes it much easier to penetrate. The 3 or 4" thick pieces only showed that load can penetrate that thickness, which isn't enough. There is a reason ballistics gel is used as a standard, and even then it isn't perfect, but is at least comparable and consistent. Would be nice if drywall was tougher than criminals, but it isn't, so if something will stop a threat, it will easily punch through drywall, if it can't punch through several sheets of drywall, it won't reliably stop a threat.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

Simple physics, the action = reaction thing, if the recoil doesn't knock a person down, neither will the projectile.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Birdshot for HD?

A saying comes to mind - "You can shyt in a urinal, but it isn't the preferred method".

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    There always "cut shells" . It's kind of an art. With a knife, cut 3/4 of the way around the shell at about the halfway point. Turns it into a rough slug and it is nasty.

Google Barry at Moss Pawn for his Youtube video on this

(R.I.P. Barry, just died recently)

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Mythbusters did some tests with this. As I remember point blank 00 buck didn't move the dummy wearing body armor. I doubt birdshot is going to effect the momentum of a 200lb man. I'll see if I can find the video.

Birdshot tenderizes the assailant. The assailant will be picking BB's out of their carcass the rest of their life. It does not incapacitate them.

How do I know? My dumbazz brother got a case of the stupid one night, and got shot by the person who azz he wanted to kick over a woman at the time. The distance was from the front door to the edge of the porch.

Moral of the story: Birdshot is for the birds, buckshot is for bad guys. :)

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Has anyone considered the force of the blast? Even from birdshot, how many intruders can withstand the force of being hit , that is stay on their feet, in a close, in-home environment?

The force of the blast is exactly what you're feeling in the recoil. Conservation of momentum. If you're not knocked down by the blast, neither will BG. Hollywood depiction of people flying into the wall when hit by a shotgun are purely for dramatic effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom