• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I'm 99% sure I know my answer (and enormous thanks to SCARCQB for his knowledge and patience), but I'll ask the question. If you could have either of these for your primary SHTF social gun, which one and why? All I will be running is slugs and buck shot. I will not be shooting competitions. I will be taking training to better learn to fight with this gun. This gun needs to work under ugly conditions and with whatever I feed it. I know my preference for ergonomics and the cost for these two would come out close enough after add ons that it isn't the deciding factor.

So, which one?

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Ok, I'd go FN, in this configuration.

FNM0007mb.png

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Remington Versamax with an Urbino stock. (shorter LOP).

Will cycle anything, except for breaching shells. Mag cut off allows forvquick changes in loads( buck- slugs-etc). operates with a cloned version of the benelli m4s ARGO system. the Gas piston system is more reliable than inertia systems. It is also not weight sensitive( inertia systems choke when weighed down). it also kicks less than comparable systems.

Comes with a 7 tound tube, allows for ghost loading( one riding on the carrier) and one in the chamber. The mag release button is oversized. No need for 922r parts to change out anything.

It is basically an Americanized Benelli m4/ 1014. Everything operates the same as the benelli. This shotgun is fast. You can fire five rounds begore your first empty shrll hits the ground.

Only drawback... The longer barrel makes it less maneuverable in tight spaces. But its more accurate and harder hitting than 18" shotguns. The one one that i played with did produce a 5" group with 1oz slugs( 110 yards). The modified choke also produced tight patterns with buckshot/ target loads.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I bought a Versamax Competition earlier this year after doing a lot of homework (vs FN and benelli M4).
    9A1CACEE17F34E179A9BEF6F6E2B81D6.ashx

IMO, the green is ugly but it runs great. Eats everything. Slugs interleaved w/ light target loads are no problem. The recoil absorption is also fantastic. Sights are spot on as I can ring a ~18" gong at 100yds standing over and over w/ ease. I read the trigger group will actually swap for a benelli its such a good copy. I took it to shoot skeet @ Loch Raven and did better than I've ever done w/ my over/under. Its very light.

Its my only semi and I have not shot the FN. (did use a M4 once for a couple rounds of backyard clays.) Can't really say one is better than the other but am very happy w/ the purchase. Just wish it wasn't green;) The M4 H2O is a prettier gun (at 2x the cost.)

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Versamax with Mesa tactical urbino stock.
    Closest thing to a 922r compliant Benelli m4 at half the cost .

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      21.1 KB · Views: 3,047

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I'm 99% sure I know my answer (and enormous thanks to SCARCQB for his knowledge and patience), but I'll ask the question. If you could have either of these for your primary SHTF social gun, which one and why? All I will be running is slugs and buck shot. I will not be shooting competitions. I will be taking training to better learn to fight with this gun. This gun needs to work under ugly conditions and with whatever I feed it. I know my preference for ergonomics and the cost for these two would come out close enough after add-ons that it isn't the deciding factor.

So, which one?
    While the Versamax is sort of a clone of the Benelli M4 the FN SLP is exactly the same gun as the Browning Gold and the Win SX2/SX3 (not sure if the other 2 have the Browning's autoloading first round in the mag function. I know the Winchester does not. That is the one thing I miss by shooting the 930 JMP in 3-gun.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    This makes the difference. Gas operated piston system / dual self regulating pistons. Same as Benelli 's ARGO( Remington calls it versa port)

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      50.6 KB · Views: 4,457

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Will it shoot mini shells?

I prefer a very short stock, adjustable even better. Recoil reducing features in stock?

Pistol grip and safety for shooting finger NOT a button for your thumb on top. Sorry mossy SPX lovers.

Also, I don't want any peep sights or anything of the sort, just a nice bead or maybe a little fiber rod on the front.

I do like the engineering, reliability and recoil reduction of the Versa.

Is there a veramax for my specs?

Honestly, I'd rather have an AR or p90 for HD or zombies. I've shot enough 3gun to know you can't carry many slugs, and its much slower to reload a shotgun.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location

I prefer a very short stock, adjustable even better. Recoil reducing features in stock?

Pistol grip and safety for shooting finger NOT a button for your thumb on top. Sorry mossy SPX lovers.

Mini shells work when port loaded, but will not cycle or feed reliably.

For your requirements, a versamax with a short Urbino pistol grip stock should serve you well.

(i really dont get the extra ling LOP on the versamax and benelli shotguns- maybe im too short, lol)

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Versamax with Mesa tactical urbino stock.
    Closest thing to a 922r compliant Benelli m4 at half the cost .

If they came from the factory that way, this would be an even tougher decision. When I priced them out, adding the Mesa tac stock and a good set of sights had the two guns neck and neck for price.

Remington really needs to make the R12 available...

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    I'm 99% sure I know my answer (and enormous thanks to SCARCQB for his knowledge and patience), but I'll ask the question. If you could have either of these for your primary SHTF social gun, which one and why? All I will be running is slugs and buck shot. I will not be shooting competitions. I will be taking training to better learn to fight with this gun. This gun needs to work under ugly conditions and with whatever I feed it. I know my preference for ergonomics and the cost for these two would come out close enough after add ons that it isn't the deciding factor.

So, which one?

SLP all the way.

Just look at how many you see in competition. (like in 3 gun)

Also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj7T_1mNSf0

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location

Also, I don't want any peep sights or anything of the sort, just a nice bead or maybe a little fiber rod on the front.

I do like the engineering, reliability and recoil reduction of the Versa.

Is there a veramax for my specs?

Honestly, I'd rather have an AR or p90 for HD or zombies. I've shot enough 3gun to know you can't carry many slugs, and its much slower to reload a shotgun.

Just teasing you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      81.8 KB · Views: 2,041

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Joppa,

I can loan you the Benelli for a weekend. If you promise not to scratch her up , treat her well and have her home by 930pm.

Take it out for a test drive. It's different when you actually shoot it.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Thanks for everything SCAR but if I shoot that M4, I'm going to have to go back into money saving mode. :D

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Thanks for everything SCAR but if I shoot that M4, I'm going to have to go back into money saving mode. :-D

The thing is... The versamax shoots exactly the same way.

The SLP is okay too, but kicks a bit harder.( also no mag cut off button)

And the SLP's shell lifter is freakin Sharp and cuts like a knife. Why????? IDK.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    Did you really find the slp to have harder recoil?
    Granted I have a slip on pad and not the stock pad on mine but I found it to be just a hair softer than the versamax.

Lifter is surely a problem until you work it a bit but it can be fixed.

Though, for the money, I would build a 24" or 26" versamax if I started from scratch again today.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    SLP and Versamax. Both are excellent shotguns. You cant go wrong with neither one.

But if its just for Social applications.... Dont forget to check out the benelli m2.

The m2 is probably my top pick for defensive/ LE/ Military use.

Al has one with a short Urbino Stock. That is one badazz shotgun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom